Reputation is an important factor here, as it is an important factor in promotion and recognition.
Correct use of reputation.
The purpose of reputation is to value the information that a member has posted. Ratings comments should kindly describe why(good reason is needed) the rating was given and should apply to the content posted.
Reputation is misunderstood by many. Many confuse reputation with kudo's or coolness, that social networking sites have or even use it as an emotional tool. Reputation should not be given to show affection or to flame. As a result several members needed to have all their ratings removed.
To make it more clear what reputation is for, I have changed the following:
Heavier penalties for reputation trade.
- I have changed the questions, that you are asked when you rate posts:
How do you value the quality of the information in the member's post?
Why do you approve or disapprove the information in this post:
- Because reputation is to measure the information given about drugs, the reputation feature has been disabled in forums that are not related to drugs. As a result of this everyone that has received points in these forums, will have lost points.
Reputation is also abused by a good deal of members. Trade in reputation has been discovered frequently, with a very large find in the last week. The result of trading reputation has always been an infraction and a large reputation decrease (maximum staff could give, so around -75).
What is reputation trade?
- To further counter reputation trade, we have decided that repeated reputation trade (even if discovered at the same time) will result in removal of all the member's reputation.
Reputation trade is when members leave clues on their identity, in their rating comments that are then returned by ratings from other members. Or simply when members agree to give each other points. This can happen between two or more members.
Recently I found out that a lot of members with high reputation have been involved in reputation abuse. (some had abused so severe that all ratings had to be removed)
Abuse leads to recoding of reputation system.
Because of all this, it has become very clear that the current reputation system is failing as is, and should either be aborted or recoded.
After discussion in the staff room, I choose for the latter and hired coders to do this. The cost will be around $375. After it is finished the following changes will apply:
- All ratings will need to be approved by the staff before they become visible
- Several scripts will identify all possible reputation trade.(past and present)
- Reputation report system will be introduced.
Those that wish to contribute to the coding costs, can find information here
This announcement can be discussed here