SWIY hath come to the right place
isn't 100% sure how bad those gel up, but he manages to extract the MS out of the ones made by Endo as well as the Mallinckrodt ones. The latter gels up even WORSE than the Endos, but can be prepped for IV using this method:
1) Remove coating (if there is one)
2) Crush pill as finely as possible
3) Place powder in spoon. DO NOT add water.
4) Dry-heat powder with lighter/candle, but not so hot that the powder burns after 1-2 secs (keep flame low, not touching the spoon)
5) if done correctly, the powder should SLOWLY start changing color
6) When a small amount of smoke appears, quickly remove flame and shock the powder with COLD saline solution (salty water may work better)*
7) Mix solution. It's normal for it to still have a "syrupy" consistency
8) Heat again and boil for a few seconds. Heat + salt water should breakdown the timed-release matrix.
9) Drop med-sized cottonball in the solution. It should absorb much of it. Note that the cottonball will act as a "magnet" for any remaining wax, so a big-enough one is a MUST to prevent clogging**.
10) This will extract approximately75-80% of the morphine
from experience. Doing a rewash can be performed as there still will be a TINY amount of morphine unextracted from the wax.
*Note #1: the water may splatter quite a bit, but it is ok to wait 30 secs to a minute to allow the spoon to cool slightly before proceeding.
**Note #2: if the cottonball just seems to "float" on top of a gooey solution, it's likely that not enough heat was applied.
Please let SWIM know how this works out!!