Dissolve 1.0 g of selenious acid in 100 mL of concentrated sulfuric acid.
[top]Danger of the Mecke reagent
1. Selenious acid – OXIDIZER, TOXIC. Highly toxic. Contact with combustible
material may cause fire. Toxic by inhalation, in contact with skin, and if swallowed.
Irritating to eyes, respiratory system, and skin. Target organs: liver, heart. Keep away from combustible material. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves, and eye/face protection.
2. Sulfuric acid - OXIDIZER, ACID, TOXIC, CORROSIVE. Liquid and mist
cause severe burns to all body tissue. May be fatal if swallowed. Harmful if inhaled.
Inhalation may case lung damage. Do not get liquid in eyes, on skin, or clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling. Avoid breathing vapors. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not add water to contents while in container because of violent reaction. Store in tightly closed container. Wear suitable protective clothing and gloves.