The original DanceSafe testing kit. If you can only afford one, this is the one to get. Marquis reagent tests for the presence of MDxx (“ecstasy/molly”), cathinones (“bath salts”), DXM, 2C-B, meth/amphetamine and more. Contains enough reagent for approximately 50 tests.
- Drug Identified:
- Test Type:
The Marquis Reagent is a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid and formaldehyde. It is a very good field test for a wide variety of substances.
For a full list of color reactions please see the Marquis wiki. The Drugs-Forum members have tested many drugs with marquis reagents. See here for an overview.
The color reactions for MDMA, MDA, and MDE are the same purple to black. Methamphetamine and amphetamine are the same orange. MDPV, methylone and butylone are the same yellow. You can then use the Simon’s Reagent to tell the difference between MDA and MDMA/MDE, or between methamphetamine and amphetamine or between MDPV and methylone/butylone.
- Meth/amphetamine – Orange
- MDxx – Purple to black
- DXM – Grey to black (slowly)
- MDPV, Methylone, Butylone – Yellow
- 2C-B – Yellow to green over 30 seconds
- 2C-T-x – Orange to salmon
- BZP – No color change
IMPORTANT: Never have more than one reagent bottle open at a time. If you mix up the caps and put the wrong cap on the wrong reagent bottle, this may cross-contaminate the reagents and ruin them. Be sure to perform the tests in a well-lit location.
If the reagent either does not change any color during the first 30 seconds or if it produces some other color-change sequence, then the pill definitely does not contain any of the above substances.
- Scrape a tiny bit of your pill or powder onto a large, white ceramic plate. Use just enough powder to see on the plate.
- Take the reagent bottle out of the plastic safety container. Remove the cap and turn the bottle upside-down a couple inches over the powder. Squeeze one drop out of the bottle onto the powder. Be careful to not let the dropper bottle touch your powder or you will contaminate and ruin the rest of the reagent. Replace the cap.
- Observe the color change right away. Use the Marquis column of the color chart included with your kit to evaluate your test.
It may also be highly adulterated with one or more unknown substances. You can use other DanceSafe reagents on new scrapings/samples to look for the presence of other substances. Wash the testing surfaces with soap and water as soon as possible.
Storage and Handling Instructions:
The Marquis Reagent is primarily sulphuric acid and is strong enough to burn skin and clothing. Keep out of eyes and mouth. Wear latex gloves when handling the bottle and cap. If you get some on you, then wash quickly with soap and water. Wash testing surfaces with soap and water as well. Dispose of any unwanted reagent down the sink with running water and baking soda. Store all testing kits in a cold, dark place (like your freezer) between uses.
NOTE: Marquis Reagent can only determine the PRESENCE, not QUANTITY or PURITY, of a particular substance. Dark color reactions will tend to override reactions to other substances also in the pill.
A positive or negative reaction for a substance does not indicate that a drug is safe. No drug use is 100% safe.