Methanol is found in antifreeze solutions, windscreen-washing
fluid, duplicating fluid, paint remover, varnishes and shoe polish,
and is used widely as a solvent and to denature ethanol.
Almost all cases of acute methanol toxicity result from ingestion.
Rarely, poisoning follows inhalation or dermal absorption.
Absorption following ingestion is rapid; peak methanol concentrations
occur within 30–60 minutes. Ingestion of as little as 10 ml
of pure methanol has caused permanent blindness and 30 ml is
potentially fatal, though individual susceptibility varies widely.