Effects - 1,4 butanediol and dopamine rebound

Discussion in 'GHB' started by snapper, Oct 1, 2005.

1. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm wondering if anyone has noticed the same degree of dopamine
    rebound with GBL vs GHB vs 1,4 BD? With the latter, it seems to take
    ungodly amounts to create this syndrome, with GBL it happened
    frequently and was a strong signal to stop at least 12 hours, or get
    trapped in the hell of 24/7 dosing. GHB was less of a problem, but it
    happened more frequently with that as well.
    Have others here noticed the same thing ?

snapper

2. waxhorse

waxhorse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ghb isn't too bad, gbl is worse, and bdo is worse than gbl IMO.

With ghb the rebound runs about 3-4 hours, gbl a little less and the last time I binged with bdo...I was rebounding at about 2-3 hours.

Man, I'm glad those days are behind me!

Wh

3. snapper

snapper Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was under the impression for a while that dopamine rebound was
    impossible with 1,4bdo, but eventually had a weak one. Compared to
    GBL, which was guarenteed to rebound if used too much, 1,4bdo really
    did not have this problem. The effect also paled next to GBL or GHB, and
    now all three are gone pretty much forever for SWIM.

Snapper

4. psyki

psyki Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is definitely a dopamine rebound when using 14B. Remember that GBL and 14B are converted into GHB in your body even though the effects of each are subjectively different.

5. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    A high intake user (even if just for a day or two at a time) will usually feel the dopamine rush when the GHB wears off. The symptoms are much like those experienced with benzo withdrawal, but usually pass after a good night sleep but can last up to ten days for a long term user. Some may not even notice the symptoms, others will have agonizing symptoms. This occurs sooner with GBL & 14B, than with GHB.

Benzos/sleeping pills can make this experience more tolerable and Seroquel/Zyprexa has also been known to work for dopamine rebound.

Dostinex is also known to help with dopamine rebound problems felt when GHB buzz wears off, it can lighten mood and help with anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  6. belfort

belfort Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I use small doses of bdo, never more than once a day and hasnt noticed any dopamine rebound..

7. Insideus

Insideus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I think its mainly only exp'd with heavy usage, not small dosing or every once in a while. She would imagine that it would have to take a long time to start making your body dependent on the drug just like with any other drug to exp symptom with drawl.

8. throatgorge

throatgorge Newbie

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have years of experience with all three, though mostly 1,4 Butanediol. SWIM noticed not the slightest difference in any of them. Onset time, degree of stimulation vs. sedation, uncontrolable libido boost, dopemine rebound. It was all the same.
    Only thing I do not know is weather GHB or GBL are as addictive as 1,4 butanediol. SWIM never had vast amounts of either to get addicted to, but had 20 liters of 1,4 butanediol, plus several 1 liter orders filled here and there for a period of three years.
    When I started, the drug was said to be non-addictive. Before I was finished with the 20 liters, SWIM learned the truth, but couldn't slow down to taper off. Withdrawals were hell.

9. adamantane

adamantane Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Both g-butyrolactone and 1,4-butanediol are rapidly absorbed and metabolized to g-hydroxybutyric acid via enzymes in the blood and liver. Because this conversion occurs so rapidly and extensively, pharmacologically speaking, all three compounds are essentially the same in the body.

g-Hydroxybutyric acid is a naturally occurring chemical found in the brain and peripheral tissues which is converted to succinate and processed through the tricarboxylic acid cycle. Although the function of g-hydroxybutyric acid in peripheral tissues is unknown, in the brain and neuronal tissue it is thought to function as a neuromodulator. g-Hydroxybutyric acid readily crosses the blood-brain barrier, and oral, intraperitoneal, or intravenous administration elicits characteristic neuropharmacologic responses. These same responses are observed after administration of either 1,4-butanediol or g-butyrolactone.

The compounds 1,4-butanediol and g-butyrolactone have little effect on the body themselves, as they are rapidly metabolized to g-hydroxybutyric acid, and the pharmacologic and toxicologic responses to these chemicals are due almost exclusively to their metabolic conversion to g-hydroxybutyric acid. Therefore, I can say with a high degree of certainty, that any significant differences you noticed are due to variations in dosing frequency and duration and possibly amount (which can only be inferred based on the scenario you described).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017