1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Oral use - 1 gram of kratom powder equals how many grams of kratom leaf?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by jls1986, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jls1986

jls1986 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM accidently ordered an ounce of leaf instead of powder. SWIM has never had leaf before and is wondering how much to take. He usually takes about 6 to 7 grams of powder. He is guessing he needs to take more leaf to get similar effects.

SWIM thanks you for your help.

2. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: 1 gram of powder = how many grams of leaf?

1 gram leaf=1 gram powder, its just the volume that changes. Try eating the reg dose weight and see how it feels

3. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Re: 1 gram of powder = how many grams of leaf?

Oh dear, looks like someone skipped Maths at school;)

A gram of leaf is the same as a gram of powder, its all 'a gram'

There is no reason why Swiy should have to take more or less. Powder is just ground leaf, its the same thing.

A gram of Gold weighs the same as a gram of feathers.

If Swiy is used to using the toss & wash method with their powder they might want to grind the leaf as trying to swallow ground leaf matter could irritate Swiys throat.
    This can be done in a coffee grinder or by placing the leaves into a sieve an rubbing it through into a bowl to powder it.

4. jls1986

jls1986 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry, SWIM asked it wrong. Like mentioned above SWIM is speaking of volume. SWIM doesn't have a scale, he measures the amount to take using a tablespoon. How much leaf would SWIM need to take if he usually takes a tablespoon of powder.

5. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    Its very hard to call it exactly, although a gram of leaf or powder is not going to do much anyway.
    Swim would suggest that Swiy grinds up the leaf into a powder, this can be done with a coffee grinder but if Swiy does not have access to one then another method Swim uses is to put the Kratom leaf into a Sieve, crush it up and rub it through the mesh into a bowl below. This will leave Swiy with a pretty fine powder.

Swim would make a guess that a tablespoon of leaf would be about the same weight as a tea spoon of powder but its only a rough estimate.

Swim had a quick look around and came across this chart, he does not know how exact it is...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. jls1986

jls1986 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim thanks you for your help. He will take all this in to consideration.

7. reidy-

reidy- Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If the powder has been 'de-stalked' then it will have a higher alkoloid concentration as opposed to the leaf itself, however the difference will be negligable :thumbsup:

so yeh, gram for gram they will be pretty much equal

8. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    This looks like yet another one of those unanswerable "how do I measure X without a scale" type questions. Ianzombie's advice is the best. Leaf will not have the same density per equal volume as powder, so a teaspoon (which is a measure of volume) is not going to work. The only other option here, besides getting a scale, is to crush the leaf to a similar consistency as the powder. Basically making the two equivalent in terms of density per volume.

But then you're saying that 1 gram of powder = 1 gram of powder, which should be pretty obvious. Without a scale, there is no way to say how much powder equals how much leaf.

9. shivakiva2112

shivakiva2112 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Real quick, make sure to de-stem the leaves. In the shiva cat's experience one gram of leaf does not equal one gram of powder because kratom leaves have a lot of stems, and they are very woody/sharp. Consuming them causes serious gastrointestinal pain, at least in shiva kitty.

Edit: make sure to remove the stems by hand before grinding the leaves up.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict

Reputation Points:
    The difference between 1 gram of powder and 1 gram of leaf is 1 food chopper. ;)

11. Apostacious

Apostacious Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ^or coffee bean grinder

12. kratom

kratom

Reputation Points:
    SWIM gets around 60 to 85% powder weight from his leaves. Depends a bit on the harvest and age of the leaves. Stems and veins are probably around 15% average weight of total leaf weight.

SWIM takes out rotten leaf parts and brown spots, so his powder has a nice green color. This causes some weight loss as well.

SWIM loses also a percentage during grinding, partly due to the grinding dust and extra loss of moisture.

Fluffiness of powder and the size of SWIY spoon will differ all the time, so make sure SWiyou weight your doses of Kratom properly.

13. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    Spoon Size whould not change if people use propper Measuring Spoons and not just any old Spoon.
    http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124732

14. shaner1992

shaner1992 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks to all who posted this was very helpful and swim will be investing in a scale very soon

15. TheSweetPea

TheSweetPea Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    A gram of powder = gram of leaf. It's like taking a dollar bill, then weigh it. Shred it up, and it's still the same weight.

SWIM doesn't know if he is allowed to post brands of scales he recommends so he will just give a description. He recommends a scale that is disguised as a CD case, or a scale who's display projects out the side using a spring mechanism. They are cheap and can easily be found on an auction site.

These are used for jewelry, of course.

16. Balzafire

Balzafire Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    If swiy knows how many grams of powder it takes to launch his rocket, it should be easy to figure out.
    How many grams of leaf did he get? Measure the volume, reduce the measurement to it's lowest i.e, cups to teaspoons and simply do the math.

If swiy needs an example, swim will break it down for him. He just needs to know launch weight, weight on hand and it's volume.

17. MonkeyHoldsTite

MonkeyHoldsTite Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think I disagree with most of you.
    In my defense, I must say upfront that I'm in my 40s so I haven't had math in a while. ("Maths" for you Brits!)

The post stating that a whole dollar and a fucked up one weighs the same may be true, but we are not talking about weighing something, we are talking about determining its mass/volume. (again, I think)

I don't think it works that way with grams, which is a measurement of volume/mass.

I think that 1g of leaf does NOT equate to 1g of powder.

The problem is that I know I've used a scale to weigh things in terms of pounds and ounces and have also weighed things in grams. (I bet most of you can instantly picture what was on my scale in either instance).

Please, please someone tell me whether I am right or wrong and provide a source to prove your answer.

My overpriced headshop sells leaf per gram way cheaper than powder per gram.

I would love the 60 grams of leaf to be equal to the 60 grams of powder but my drug addled brain just doesn't think it is so.

Part of my reasoning is based solely on the fact that the 60g's of leaf is a third of the price of 60g's of powder.
    Why would the company be so kind, price wise, if it's the same amount of drug?

Help!

18. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    1g is 1g.

The reason the leaf is cheaper is because it contains the stem and vein parts of the leaf.

19. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    But it does.
    1 gram of leaf weighs the same as 1 gram of powder or 1 gram of gold.

Head shops tend to rip people off.
    Perhaps you are confusing a powdered extract with powdered leaf.
    Extracts cost more per gram than leaf.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  20. seaturtle

seaturtle Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    1 gram = 1 gram

Grams are a measurement of mass period. So you are quite wrong with your assertion.

The density of leaf versus powder is definitely different. Density = mass/volume. So essentially the volume is different between leaf and powder, but not the mass.

So if you have a scale just weigh it out.

seaturtle added 3 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I've been using the same spoon for well over a year, lol. Not a measuring spoon, but I have measured the amount of kratom the spoon holds with a scale, using several different batches to get an error range.

Definitely getting a scale when I move into my new place in a few weeks. Much easier to control dosage. Using a spoon only has an accuracy of +/- 2 grams or so for my dose (which is like 5-6 spoonfuls).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014