1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Opinions - 2006 Irish Budget makes cigarettes 50c more expensive

Discussion in 'Tobacco' started by Nature Boy, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    May 10, 2005
    from ireland
    The annual Irish budget came out last Wednesday and increased the price of twenty cigarettes by fifty cent. This is completely taking the piss. As far as I know, Irish cigarette taxes were already the highest in the world and now they feel as though they need to go beyond reason and fork on some extra VAT. Now a packet of twenty costs over €7. This is crazy!!

Is it true that they're also banning boxes of ten as a means of making smoking too expensive for younger smokers with less money? This is agism of the highest order. Keeping under 18's off smoking is one thing, but what about young adults? What about pensioners? This totally sucks and I will have to give up tobacco in his joints (thank fuck he doesn't chain smoke). Rolling tobacco it is for the moment but they'll probably up the price on that next year. Why don't they just cut the crap and ban tobacco entirely since they're so against it? This half-assed approach pisses me off. I need to buy a bloody bong now. Goodbye lungs. :(
  2. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Jun 5, 2006
    30 y/o from ireland

Becuase if they did they'd be lossing something like 20,000,000 euro a year in takes. And besides Nat, you should know that most countrys choose some drugs to legalize and ban everything else.