Culture - 2c-i the uk story.

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by adzket, May 28, 2006.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    this is a story reported in mixmag (britons leading,music, dance, club culture magazine) as part of there big drugs survey. they do this every year to help clubbers, police and policy makers within the uk. it does not though say how many people take part. it is fine to use prices if from a news artical swim checked with the main man

2c-i it was called 'the new e', but wonder-drug 2c-i vanished from clubland as quickly as it arrived.

2c-i exsploded onto the british dance scene at glastonbury 2003 (big festival for those that don't know) overnight clued-up clubbers were popping the £5 pills for there strong acid-like hallucinations and e-like rushes. in brighton, bristol and manchester they became as easy to score as your average e. dealers quickly capertalised on the new drug craze.

while the uk's blanket drug laws made 2c-i instantly illegal, the same was not the case in other european countrys and the us. in the us a legal loophole meant that websites selling 'reserch chemicals' like 2c-1, it's sister compound 2c-b, 2c-t-7 and dmt were doing a roring trade, selling lab-quality drugs by mail order to clued-up caners worldwide. in the uk renegade chemists were flooding the uk market with home made 2c-i pills, wich where far stronger than those being imported from abroad.

and then without warning the supply of 2c-i dried up. some blamed mixmag for breaking the story in november 2003, but authorities had already wised up. in april 2003 the eu commissioned a report investigating 2c-i use in member states. although there had been no reported deaths and no scientific studies involving 2c-i users had been carried out, the report concluded that all eu members should ban 2c-i. so the flow of pills from countries like the czech republic came to a halt.

in the us, authorities were clamping down on websites selling 'research chemicals', following the death of a man in new yourk from a lethal dose of 2-ct-21 bought on the net. in typicaly heavy-handed fashion they charged them with international drug trafficking, conspiracy and money laundering, handing out a number of life sentences. 52-year-old david linden recived a 410-year prision sentence for operating pondman.nu. the us authorities also passed on credit card details of british people who'd been buying off the net to the uk's national crime squad. they launched operation ismene which culminated in dawn raids and a number of people receiving fines and community service sentences.

in a separate operation scotland yard's drug squadmanaged to trace the source of the orginal source of the orginal batch of uk manufactured 2c-i and busted a gang in brighton. mixmag spoke to a source close to the gang who told us, "they were just a group of hippies who were trying to share something that they loved with the rest of the world. they weren't a drugs gang in it for profit. for them it was all about spreading the word and following in the footsteps of alexander shuglin, the godfather of psychoactive pharmaceuticals." unfortunately the crown prosecution service saw differntly and sentenced the chemist who'd been making the pills to 20 years in prision.

the combined forces of tightend legislation and police action have meant that the supply of 2c-i has now but all dried up. "nowerdays you can't buy them for love or money," says a well-knowen club promoter in ibiza, "i bought a load just befor they clamed down and i'm now down to my last five." the drug once heralded as the 'new ecstasy' has been returned to the fringes of dance culture, possibly never to return.

* how 2c-i use has changed
    2004 - 9 %
    2005 - 0.4 %

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2010
  2. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Harsh but true. However, it's still out there if you look hard enough. Seems now though that people are being forced by legislation to look into less well-known, possibly more dangerous substances that Shulgin hasn't researched as thoroughly.

Tags: