1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - 4-ethylmethcathinone (4-EMC) Drug Info

Discussion in 'Beta-Ketones' started by chemman, May 9, 2010.

1. chemman

chemman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Please post information about 4-ethylmethcathinone (4-EMC) here.

Can anyone add information about:
    • names / synonyms
    • molecule
    • dose
    • duration
    • side effects
    • legal status
    • have there been any reported incidents with this compound?
    • since when has this research chemical been available?
    • stability of the molecule / compound

Names: 4-ethylmethcathinone, 4-ethylephedrone, 4-EMC
    IUPAC: (±)-1-(4-ethylphenyl)-2-methylaminopropan-1-one

An experiences thread for 4-ethylmethcathinone will be set up when experience reports start coming in.

Research Chemicals Index - Beta-Ketones

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------

Hi!
    You've heard of 4-EMC? It is a 4'-ethylmethcathinone. The substance is homologous mephedrone. Someone tested it? How do impressions? I've heard that it is more euphoric than the mephedrone. Before swims panda buys, they would like to learn more.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Snouter Fancier

Snouter Fancier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: 4-emc

Well, this is interesting. New to me. The few google hits on it seem to be largely from east of the Oder. Another drug site already has a post that calls it 'ephedrone', inviting confusion with methcathinone, which has also been called 'ephedrone'. Great.

Interesting. We may be seeing more of it, if the spread of mephedrone from East to West was an indication of the future directional flow of new chemicals. Have any of the Rumanians on DF run into this one? Experience reports would be welcome.

3. chemman

chemman Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I found information that a 4-EMC invented in Poland. Has a relatively strong affinity for the receptor 5-HT2b (compared with other bk.) "Queue" ethyl-improves the penetration of the blood-brain barrier.

So far I found a trip-report, but in the Polish language. The person wrote that caused a stronger euphoria than 4-MMC.

4. vegatill101

vegatill101

Reputation Points:

are there any further information about 4-ethylmethcathinone ?

5. PsYcHo-DoUgHbOy

PsYcHo-DoUgHbOy Newbie

Reputation Points:

Swim believes that 4-EMC can be made in body via ethyl alcohol, as with cocaine and methylphenidate.

6. Terrapinzflyer

Terrapinzflyer MDMA, RC & News Forums

Reputation Points:

^^ does swiy have any research to point to for this claim? Or where is the claim comng from???

7. Phenoxide

Phenoxide Super Moderator Staff Member

Reputation Points:

Assuming you are suggesting 4-EMC forms from the combination of alcohol with mephedrone (highly inadvisable by the way..), I do not believe this is going to happen via the proposed mechanism. The metabolic coupling of ethanol and cocaine metabolites to form cocaethylene is a transesterification reaction. Since mephedrone is not an ester, it is not vulnerable to such exchange reactions. Alkyl groups are pretty inert from a metabolic point of view; most of the time they either get chopped off or nothing happens to them at all. Metabolic conversion of mephedrone to 4-EMC seems highly improbable, and the there has been no evidence of 4-EMC in urine samples in the limited animal and human clinical trials already conducted.

8. PsYcHo-DoUgHbOy

PsYcHo-DoUgHbOy Newbie

Reputation Points:

Touche, looked at both cocaethylene and ethylphenidate again, the transformation is on an ester like you said, and the ester is not present with mephedrone. However, what about Methedrone? It has an -OME group that could be converted to an -OEt. However, this would probably cause much more neurotoxicity.

9. Phenoxide

Reputation Points:

Alkoxy groups like the 4' chain of bk-PMMA aren't prone to exchange reactions in the same way as esters. They are far more susceptible to dealkylation, conjugation of the resultant alcohol to glucuronide or sulphate, and even total loss of the alkoxy group. Besides, if by some bizarre quirk of metabolism a reaction like this were to happen, the product would be 4-ethoxymethcathinone rather than 4-ethylmethcathinone.

While it's unlikely to be made from other cathinones in vivo, 4-ethylmethcathinone does sound potentially interesting. Extending the alkyl chain certainly has a significant impact on the 2C family so one might assume there will be notable differences between 4-ethylmethcathinone and mephedrone. If the same sort of relationship holds true for the cathinones then it is possible that 4-ethylmethcathinone has longer activity and higher potency than mephedrone. Whether this would be a good thing is questionable as it would no doubt make the substance less safe, particularly when used to excess.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more exploration in this area. This seems like a logical 'next-step' from mephedrone, and would also effectively avoid the law in countries where mephedrone is explicitly regulated without analogue legislation. Perhaps with the US Federal Analog Act and the UK legislation on cathinone derivatives the manufacturers have decided ring-substituted cathinones are a lost cause and are moving into chemical space which is less tightly regulated. Surprising when there are still plenty of territories with people looking for like-for-like replacements for mephedrone.

10. rocker666

rocker666 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

As SWIM is Polish, he was able to translate some interesting reports written by people who tested 4-EMC.

Source: Polish site and forum about psychoactive substances - Hyperreal

SWIM will add more opinions one day. He hopes he was helpful. If someone wants, he can translate other texts from Polish to English :).

Edit (29.06.10):

An interesting post about the route of administration:

After reading all those opinions, SWIM became really interested in 4-EMC. As he found a source, he is going to test it in a few weeks and of course describe the effects :).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  11. girlygrrl

girlygrrl

Reputation Points:

I have to wonder if this is less likely than 4-MMC to be considered an analogue in the USA.

12. Phenoxide

Reputation Points:

Both are para-alkylated, beta-keto analogs of methamphetamine. Both could be considered similarly analagous to scheduled chemicals, as the length of an alkyl chain doesn't really make a big difference in terms of structural similarity. If 4-EMC has recreational value then it almost certainly would be functionally similar to a scheduled substance too.

So I'd imagine that 4-EMC is just as likely to contravene the Analog Act as 4-MMC. This slight modification seems to have been done to get around the law in several european countries where possession of mephedrone has been explicitly outlawed without the use of analogue legislation. Analog laws will likely treat the two similarly.

13. Stillhereyou

Stillhereyou

Reputation Points:
    Re: 4-ethylmethcathinone Drug Info (4-EMC)

Hi

I take it that would make it legal in the uk ?

14. Phenoxide

Reputation Points:

No. Please see further up in the thread:

Lucyper2 is correct. 4-EMC is a class B controlled substance in the UK, as it is considered a cathinone derivative under the laws laid out in the amendment to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 from April this year.

See 'Which drugs will likely be outlawed by the cathinone ban?' for more information on what is and isn't covered by current cathinone laws in the UK.

15. rocker666

rocker666 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

SWIM is too lazy to translate more posts, so he just wants to present some other facts about 4-EMC:

1. Many researchers report that heavy mephedrone users with high tolerance will probably have high tolerance for 4-EMC too.
    2. They are likely to be disappointed with the substance. It may not work or cause too weak effects.
    3. At least month of mephedrone-abstinence is demanded to restore proper organism's functioning and decrease the tolerance (however, for many it might be a too short time-period).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  16. hoff

hoff Newbie

Reputation Points:

Hi Guys. 1st post, ILL do my best. Ok, some guy I met received some of this today. Its quite a fluffy compound, is slightly off white, an not sticky at all. Very little to report so far an they are still investigating the dose an building up slowly. (if cross tollerance is possible they have a very high cathinone tollerance with the ones theyve used in the past) IT BURNS LIKE HELL NASALLY- (more than 2c's.) The taste is a familliar bitter chem smell (though somewhat weak in comparisson 4mmc for example). Its been by eye so far but been up to aprx 70-80mg nasally-(not a good sign, a reasonable taster by). They will wait an hour or so an try a cap with 200mg, hoping that maybe oral may be a better way of administation of this compound.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
  17. rocker666

rocker666 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

That's not good, Polish RC-users report that people with high tolerance for 4-MMC and other cathinones won't be able to fully experience the power of 4-EMC and it's likely that they won't have any euphoria at all. Unfortunately, beta-ketones tolerance diminishes very slowly.

18. McDethatron

McDethatron Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM wonders if 4-EMC might replace mephedrone in plant feeder and other branded products like magic, etc that we see in head shops

19. MasteroftheUnderworld

MasteroftheUnderworld

Reputation Points:
    4-EMC, due to its 'ethyl' group on the phenyl ring is less lipid solubility compared to 4-MMC because of the slightly 'larger size' of the molecule. This means its onset is a little slower also.

Reports indicate that it is LESS potent than 4-MMC but not by much. As a "mephedrone replacement", this is by far the best alternative. 4-MEC and especially 3,4-DMMC don't even come close.

Will start posting in the experience thread soon after I gather all of the data.

MotU

20. depsoul

depsoul Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i will be posting a report on this once i get my parcel i have ordered for my lab!