Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by wojsmack, Jan 3, 2007.

1. wojsmack

wojsmack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Hi this is my first post here and I'd like to say hello to everyone. I'd like to know why the number for weed is 420. How was this started and who started it and why. Thanks

2. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wow, what a question to start with. Welcome to the forum, make sure you read the forum rules and you can go a long way here.

To answer your question, nobody knows for sure. There are many urban legends about this. The first being that it is THE police code for somebody in posesion of marijuana. Though it may be the police code in a few county's or city's but since each county and city have differant call codes, this is not true. Some say it's because it's hitler's birthday, which it is, but has no link to the marijuana culture really. There's a lot of ideas floating about do a search this has been discussed a few times.

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    The Wikipedia article throws up quite a few interesting points. Check it out.

4. wojsmack

wojsmack Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Nice link i have more of an idea now of what it is and how it started thanks

5. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Also one urban legend was that Cheech Marin's birthday was on April 20 (4-20).....or was it Tommy Chong....haha. Well many people beleive it started by different things so SWIdr doubts we will ever find the real orgin behind "420"

6. julian

julian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.