1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - 5-htp with ritalin/dexedrine/adderall anyone?

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by Canadian4Life, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Canadian4Life

Canadian4Life

Reputation Points:
    SWIM takes ritalin daily and was looking to add 5-htp. Anyone on an adhd med and take 5-htp?

2. edarrin

edarrin

Reputation Points:
    Take both every day. (at least most). I take the 5-HTP before bed.

If you are looking to 'boost' the stims use either l-tyrosine or dl/l -phenylalanine are precursers to dopamine and norepinephrine.

I find the 5-HTP helps with sleep.

Clonidine is something you may want to ask your doctor about if sleeping is an issue,

Barring that Zopiclone is a fantastic hypnotic I find.

I'm all over the place because you did not say what you are trying to achieve. If saftey is your concern I have never had a problem with it.

3. immikew

immikew Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Prescribed 60 mg adderall every day and usually 1-2 5-htp caps every night before bed. Ive also taken 5-htp in the morning along with the addys, and Ive never had any negative effects from either.

4. Columbia U neuroscience

Columbia U neuroscience Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    ok i highly doubt 5-HTP will boost your adderall effects because 5-HTP is a serotonin precursor and adderall is an amphetamine (d-amphetamine) and like all amphetamines its primary neurotransmitter will be dopamine and norepinephrine...

as to the next poster i have not heard of L-Phenylalanine as a precursor for nor epinephrine...how the sequence works (for neurotransmitters because norepinephrine goes one step further to make epinephrine which activates your sympathetic nervous system and has no neuro effects)..but anyways it goes like this:

the amino acid L-Tyrosine + Tyrosine hydroxylase = L-Dopa + Dopa decarboxylase = Dopamine + Dopamine beta oxidase = Norepinephrine..

so as you can see you do not need the amino acid L-Phenylalanine..in fact this amino acid can cause mental retardation if you have a genetic defect called phenylketonuria (PKU)...of the 100+ amino acids 50+ are L-amino acids...of these 50+ amino acids 20 of them are needed for life and 8 of them are called "essential" in other words if you have these 8 you can make the other 12...unfortunately L-Phenylalanine is used in making 6 of these 12 missing....but in a nutshell all you need is L-Tyrosine to make both dopamine and norepinephrine..so eddarin your info is a little off with both the amino acids...

also their is good reason why 5HTP helps with sleep because both serotonin and melatonin help with correcting circadian rhythms and stimulate the pineal gland to produce DMT which is released about every 90 minutes (dreams??)

5. tomotd11562

tomotd11562

Reputation Points:
    delete

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013