Dose - 60 grams of kratom and... nothing?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by Sumeru, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I recently ingested a little over 2 ounces (~60 grams) of powdered kratom leaves over the course of five hours. At least I think I did. (I ordered 3 packages of the powder -- listed as 1 oz. each on the packs -- and ingested two.) I now realize, in the aftermath, that this was very unwise and dangerous... and will not be repeating this experience -- with these sorts of doses.

My issue was that I continued dosing all of this kratom over five hours and felt nothing more than a mild sedation. However, the aftereffects included some awful nausea that I managed to get rid of by vomiting up some of the undigested powder.

So it's clear that this stuff was in fact kratom... but why did I feel next to nothing other than nausea? A bad vendor, perhaps?

Sumeru added 2 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Note that this was all a toss and wash, as a previous experience with kratom tea had no effect either. (The tea was made with kratom purchased from the same vendor.)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    You either bought something that was not kratom, perhaps mitragyna parvifolia, or you have an insane existing tolerance to opiates, or you were sold bunk kratom.

5 grams, on an empty stomach should produce results.

I suggest you change vendors, that is a ridiculous amount of kratom to be ingesting to not feel anything at all. 60 grams would last me a week at least, with daily use and very strong effects.

When i had a massive daily addiction i was taking 50+ grams of average kratom (compared to what i get now) but this was the result of years of daily use and a huge tolerance.

Unfortunately we cant discuss vendors, because i would love to know what sort of place is selling that crap.

3. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It's bizarre, because I don't even use opiates. Maybe the weight listing on the packages was wrong? But the nausea definitely felt drug-induced and not like I simply over-consumed the wrong food. The nausea manifested as a sense of gravity being "off", as if the floor was falling beneath my feet, I was loosing balance, etc... and the only way it would go away is if I would lay down. It tasted and smelled like what had been described as kratom to me. The bags said kratom. All I felt was a mild sedation... not the warm fuzziness I was expecting. Very strange.

Sumeru added 2 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Does mitragyna parvifolia resemble kratom visually, or in terms of taste or smell? I'm just confused because the vendor I bought it from has an associated online forum wherein users describe the products I used as providing them with the effects they desired.

4. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    an ounce of kratom powder is something like two ounces of liquid. it is 5-10 times a normal effective dose. I can't imagine how this is a mislabeling issue. You more likely then not got ripped off.

The vendor runs their own forum? Are you so naive to think that is an honest way to do business?

5. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It makes sense to me. The forum acts as a sort of customer feedback page.

Sumeru added 1 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

My best guess is that the product was in fact kratom, but very, very weak. The aftereffects were distinctly drug-like.

6. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Reviews on a vendors site are always going to be good.
    You dont start a business and then give yourself bad reviews.

7. ariesbabe

ariesbabe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Same thing happened to me. I took the correct amount yet didn't feel a thing and then threw it all up...

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
  9. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I picked a site that was specifically devoted to selling kratom, so I assumed it would be good.
    I'm prescribed SSRIs... do you think they may have dulled the effects of the kratom?

10. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    No, im also on SSRI medication and it has no effect.

There are plenty of sites that only sell kratom that are pretty crap.
    Sometimes you can suss them out by their homepage.
    Some use stupid names for their products, some sell kratom at silly prices, some make insane claims about kratom. I can understand someone new to kratom not being able to spot a bad vendor, it gets really easy after a while.
    You should try to find somewhere that reviews kratom vendors that is not related to the vendor themselves to get a better idea about them. Always do as much research as possible before you give someone your money, never just pick the first site that you come across after a google search.

Im sorry that you got bunk kratom. I hope your next purchase (if their is one) is better. :)

11. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A follow-up:

So I went to a different site which is much more repudiated, especially by folks on one opiate forum. I bought several samples -- 1 of bali, and 2 of maeng da. I quickly ingested a tea made from 2 teaspoons (about 2-4 grams I'm wagering) of the bali, and definitely felt the same sedation -- albeit more pronounced -- that I did with the previous stuff. This and the fact that both batches looked and smelled the same pretty well confirms for me that my original purchases were of kratom. My best guess at this point is that the original stuff is simply of very poor quality and had very little alkaloids.

This new bali was still lack-luster though. It gave me more sedation than last time, but it only felt like the equivalent of popping about 1mg of xanax and only lasted for maybe 15 minutes to half an hour it seemed like. Does anyone think I should up the dose, or maybe try maeng da instead? Isn't maeng da stronger?

12. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    You need to buy a digital scale, seriously you are probably taking a lot more than you think. They are inexpensive, probably less than you pay for a small amount of kratom.
    A tea spoon of powdered kratom (a measuring tea-spoon, not something out of your cutlery droor) can hold up to 4 grams. so you could be taking up to 8 grams.

Maeng da is the opposite of bali. Bali is sedating and maeng da is stimulating.

13. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What's the consensus on mixing maeng da and bali? Good idea, or no?

14. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There is no consensus.
    You might like it, you might not. Just try it and see.
    What ever happened to people experimenting?

15. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Sumeru and Ariesbabe, what are your's experiences with Kratom anyway?
    You know what the effects are like?

16. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Honestly, as I've stated above, the most I've ever gotten out of kratom was the brief feeling of 1mg of Xanax. Nothing like the hydrocodone I've tried before. But again -- this may simply be due to quality or dosage.

17. Panacee

Panacee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    The effects of a low to moderate dose kratom might be 'missed' if you do something very active or are in a big crowd. If you go to bed or lie down with some music 4-6 hours after a dose of 10-15g, and you're not nodding in and out a dreamy world, then I don't know what is happening.
    You either have not good kratom, or you ingested it wrong, or you have some strange fysiological make-up.

18. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    OK. So last night I tossed half a teaspoon of maeng da fortified with extract. More effects than last time, but it still felt like a quite subtle sedation, plus maybe some coffee. I ended up eating four teaspoons of Bali half an hour after this, to little effect. Again, it felt like 1mg xanax, with maybe a little spaciness, for half an hour.

I'm starting to wonder... is UEI more powerful than bali or maeng da? What about pies?

19. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Yes, UEI is a very powerful enhanced product.
    It is also very addictive and over priced.
    Pies are just an extract made by boiling down kratom tea to a resin.

I would advise against UEI, it will raise your tolerance and make powder next tio useless. As you are already not getting anything from the powder then i would recommend you find a different source.
    Maeng da is typically stimulating so you were not likely to get much sedation from it.

If this vendor is selling bad kratom then there is every reason to believe their extracts are no better.

Maybe kratom is just not suitable for you.
    You need to start weighing it, teaspoons dont mean anything.

Take 5 grams of powder on an empty stomach with no other drugs in your system after going without any drugs for a week to ensure your tolerance is down.

20. Sumeru

Sumeru Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So tonight I ate 8 grams worth of kratom capsules and felt nothing. Is it possible that physiologically I just have very few opiod receptors or something? Because 15mg hydrocodone doesn't seem to do anything either, even though I have no opiate tolerance. (My use is spaced weeks apart.)

Is it possible that SNRIs or SSRIs prevent kratom from working?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
Tags: