Drug info - 82% Ethanol + Mason Jar = Ammonia??

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by `ForlornSage`, Feb 2, 2007.

1. `ForlornSage`

`ForlornSage` Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was showing off a new batch of high-proof alcohol that he just distilled and he pointed out that all of it didn't fit in a Barcardi 151 bottle, so the rest was kept in a mason jar.
    The stuff in the Barcardi bottle smelled like normal high proof alcohol, but the liquid in the mason jar smelled so strongly of Ammonia that it would burn your throat bad. I'm sure that the sealing substance on the Mason jar lid erroded in the alcohol and created this toxic smell and I was wondering if it might be poisonous. The guy that made it is not inexperienced and claims that the stuff in both containers is the same exact ethanol, but I think he might as well have distilled Windex or cat piss.
    Anyone know if Alcohol + Mason jar lid sealer = poison?

2. x cynic x

x cynic x Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would have to discourage the consumption of possibly tainted substances. if it was I was in swiys position he would inspect the condition of the sealant and if it showed signs of deterioration it should be discarded for it certainly cannot be good for ones health. for future reference You should avoid contact between his alcohol and unknown sealants.

3. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    Most of the people swim knows who either produce or consume seem to store their product in mason jars. It has been done this way for a long time. None the less if your product smells of ammonia one should be discouraged from drinking said substance as said above for possible contamination. I don't think it came from the seal around the metal lid though. Check out the lid to see if the seal is still intact. Maybe the jar was contaminated before product was put in or maybe it was washed previously with a surfactant that was not properly rinsed out and left behind a residue that would spoil the flavor. Either way one should be discouraged from drinking an unknown substance.

4. `ForlornSage`

`ForlornSage` Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, it made a good drain cleaner instead.