99% gbl safe?

Discussion in 'GHB' started by psilocybin, Jan 18, 2007.

1. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    up until now I had been getting 99.7% or something.. i realise this isn't much difference but better safe thn sorry. one bottle, only one question.. safe or not safe?

2. ~lostgurl~

~lostgurl~ Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    What does the 99% GBL smell like and taste like? Is it much different to the 99.7% pure stuff? From research I cannot see the difference being hugely important, obviously this depends on what the other ingredients are though. I have had some pretty horrible tasting and smelling GBL in the past and it was probably not good for SWIM to be drinking but she never noticed any extra adverse effects. That is not to say that there weren't any but there were none that SWIM noticed. It might be better for You to research the exact product that You has to find out more information regarding this.

3. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    I did some, seems normal to me. I did at first think it might have not smelled as chemically.. but I think I was mistaken. I'm pretty sure I saw a post on here before about it anyway.

1. 2/5,
      self incrimination
      Jan 19, 2007
  4. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    I get gbl from a u.k web-based source and he doesn't trust its purity. It is claimed to be 99,9% pure but you can't never be sure. SWIM's gbl has a strong chemical taste and a mild odour similar to industrial solvent or motor oil

5. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A substance's smell and taste does not reflect its purity. GBL is reported to smell and taste like industrial solvent (not very strange because it is an industrial solvent). The purity grade required in medicinal substances for human consumption has to be 99,9%, as far as I know. But that doesn't mean 99% are not safe. It also depends on what the impurities are.

6. ~lostgurl~

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Actually with GBL the taste and smell is usually a lot stronger the less pure it is.

7. boagoa

boagoa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    AW: 99% gbl safe?

if I amn't using it regulary, there should be no problems at all.

a friend of mine telephoned with a chemistry vendor, he was told that the 1% can make you ill. (...i think he tried to scare him =)...)

the last missing percents (to 100 =) often contains heavy metall.
    if your friend want to know whether the substance is gbl or not, you can test it on the basis of the boiling point. (should between 201° and 206°)

the gbl i know, smells like soaply water (very lightly).

8. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    hmm after reading this I am getting slightly concerned. he has found effets to be the same however. he did actually find the smell to be milder with this 99% batch.. maybe I shouldnt be so trusting that the stated purity is acurate

9. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    This is the data sheet that comes with gbl I get. Doesn't know if it's real though (they could have copyed or made up this data)

Attached Files:

10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    That's not saying 99%. That's 3-9's purity: 99.9%. If real. But if I bought that for an industrial application as 3-9's pure and it wasn't - I'd have grounds to sue the supplier into oblivion.

By the way - anything with even a trace amount of butyric acid in it is going to have a rather pronounced odor.

11. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    That's what I said, 99.9%, is the gbl swim gets but SWIM suspects it is not that good quality. That's the data sheet you get when searching chemical corporations web sites.

Maybe the online sites selling gbl buy their stuff from these big chemical companys, so they attach the same data. But it's suspicious anyway

12. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    sorry this may be a stupid question but is swims 99% gbl MORE pure in reality because it has a mild smell, than the supposedly 99.7% stuff from before? or is there no real way to guage without testing? I will not get too worried as he has done a lot and suffered no ill consequences, and also had a liver functioning test in this time and got the all clear.

13. ~lostgurl~

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    I have never heard of GBL smelling like soapy water, SWIM's GBL has always smelt like a solvent. The less pure GBL I have done in the past
    has smelt stronger, more like gasoline or something similar that at the time I thought she should not be drinking, though she had no ill effects from this. There were quite a few batches around a few years ago that tasted like the smell of perfume too, again no ill effects, though I would not recommend this to anyone else.

So from SWIM's experience, the stronger the smell, and the stronger the taste, the less pure the GBL. But in saying that, the companies selling this product have no real reason to lie about the purity of their GBL as far as I am aware.

14. psilocybin

psilocybin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    hm the gbl I has bought has always had a mild solvent smell. maybe because in england it is legal the quality is high. certainly never a petrol or soapy water smell. yes a company lying wouldnt make much sense, the trouble it would cause them wouldnt seem worth it. and its not really plausable that they would be relying on recreational users (although i could be wrong)

15. garbled

garbled Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland
    Pure GBL will smell like the smell that comes out of a water hose that has been laying in the sun on a hot day when you go for a drink and you are waiting for the water to cool off. It smells exactly like that hot plastic smell.