Opinions - A few questions regarding Xanax (Alprazolam) and Valium (Diazepam)

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by jackdeth, May 7, 2007.

1. jackdeth

jackdeth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi all,

I've been reading the forums for a while and decided to join yesterday. I've posted in the new member section with a bit of info about SWIM - used cannabis, painkillers (still on) and not much else.

I would like to try either Xanax or Valium, but is not sure which would be more suitable to get through a typically dull/stressfull day? I am also concerned about the dangers of quitting, resulting in seizures/death - any certain way to avoid this?

If SWIM were to usse Xanax at say 1 or 2mg a day for a few weeks and then quit cold turkey, what are the chances of serious side effects as a result? Is the dose irrelevant? Also, is this risk carried with all benzos?

Many thanks.

2. smithdogg1

smithdogg1 Guest

Reputation Points:
    Re: A few questions regarding Xanax and Valium

In my opinion, benzos are not a drug one wants to take to get though a dull day, he would prefer an upper for that, like adderall. For SWIM benzos are more of a nice way to relax after a long stressful day, same reason why many people have a few drinks after work. I am not sure how much of a supply you have or may have access to, but the best way to avoid the dangers of quitting is to not get hooked on them in the first place, by not taking them often and not taking bigger doses each time (IE developing a tolerance), this is how I have done it and it has worked fine for him, but people are different and have varying levels of will power.

I would not recommend taking 1-2mg of Xanax a day for a week or two, it has been said that two weeks is all one needs to develop a physical addiction. I have taken a low dose (.05) of Ativan daily for a week straight before, and he had no withdrawal symptoms, but that is also a very low dose and Ativan weaker than Xanax. If one plans to take benzos on a daily basis then I recommend not getting into them at all, because you will set yourself up for a problem. However if you think you can be “responsible” about it then I would recommend a starting dose of .05 Mg for Xanax and 5 mg or Valium. As far as the differences go, in My opinion Xanax is the strongest and most euphoric benzo, which also makes the most dangerous, it is considered to be faster acting and shorter lasting than others. Valium on the other hand has a much longer half life, making it longer lasting, Xanax and Valium are swims two fav benzos, out of what he has tried.

3. jackdeth

jackdeth Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: A few questions regarding Xanax and Valium

I will proceed with caution as far as doses go. I amn't sure about uppers as I believe they go against the grain as far as SWIM's personality goes. Like taking a trip, the few times I have taken LSD SWIM always had an unenjoyable experience, which makes taking it a pointless exercise.

Thanks smithdogg1