a question about heroin- why is it so appealing/addictive?

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by bowlingforcindy, Jun 12, 2004.

1. bowlingforcindy

bowlingforcindy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    [Some of the early posts on this thread were written before the self-incrimination rule came into existence. Please don't give negative rep for this or think it's ok nowadays. Thanks - Dickon]

drugs ive done: ketamine, coke, ecstacy, whizz

what do ppl find soaddictive about heroin? is it that you like the high, the feelin, or is it that once you come down your body cant cope without it, and you cant function right?

( id never take heroin, its the one drug i can say no to, and its ruined enough lives already, its not taking mine)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2009
  2. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I did 30.00 of black tar heroin once, doing 3/4 of it to start, then finishing it up. I puked, and I clearly remember thinking if we get stopped I am going to fall out of this car laughing. My usual paranoia was defineately lessened. After five or six hours, I went to sleep, without eating because it took away my appetite. The next day I told my two friends thatmy body was slightly sore and achey. We all thought it was probably from the heroin.People talk of being addicted from the first time, of being in terrible pain- that fortuneately did not happen to me. "Mildly uncomfortable" easily describes how my body felt, as if I had exercised and felt sore. I had no desire to feel the high again right away, either. (The only reason I bought H in the first place is because the guy didn't have any speed, and I wanted somthing rather than nothing, plus, I've always been curious.

So, in short, shooting heroin was a pretty mundane experience. Not like speed, which gives life and energy- heroin is more a respite from life. It defineately doesn't inspire you to get anything done.

Would I do it again? Maybe if I ran into my old friend and he offered a bump, but I wouldn't buy it for personal use again- why should I when I like to get up, not down?In short, the high ain't great enough for me to fall victim.

3. Jetset

Jetset Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I ahve done X and G, but I still question what the big deal is about coke, I had an oppertunity to try it once but my friend told me don't... it would be the worst thing I could do. Is it that addictive? My wife ahs triewd it before me and she tells me it has the same feeling as X but some guys get abusive, is this true?

4. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I personally don't think coke is that addictive ( not that it wont happen with constant use) but for alot of people including my self it is to expensive to become physically addicted. I've doen it about 20 times, within a month or two and since then its been about 2-3 months and i have no "urges" to do it again, to expensive, the high is fun but not fun enough for the price.

5. Hüsker Du

Hüsker Du Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well, My ex boyfriend of four years started using herion after we broke up and he and I still talk. I asked him why he is so addicted and he said he can't cope with out it.

6. Cocaine

Cocaine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i was doing heroin for 2 month... the thing about heroin is at first i was just ahving fun.. then i needed heroin not to feel the pain i got from it.. but now im on methadone and i do coke... i shoot it and its very f**king addictive..snorting is nothing compared to it

7. manda

manda Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Shooting will take you there, leaving you pondering on how to get away from there. Did you know for one slam of dope to fully penetrate your system it takes 30-90 minutes? So after that rush, the legs come bouncing in.

8. jables

jables Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dope is the greatest high on earth. You can't imagine the complete pleasure a hit into the vein can produce. First time I shot up this really cute girl did it for me. It was almost sexual, better than any orgasm I've ever had.

9. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    For me, Heroin was an escape. (just like any other opiates.) I was young, and it helped me filter out all the "noise" in the world. It became a habbit because of the womblike peace it caused. It then became a physical addiction, to the point of needing to do it every 4 hours, or I would get sick.

Finally quit after I overdosed and cut my leg to "bleed it out." Friends kept me captive for a couple weeks and helped me overcome the withdrawls. Have only done it about twice a year since then.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I found his initial use of smack (off tinfoil) was like nothing before or since,warm peaceful,very euphoric and comforting...a absolute delight in every way apart from the nausea of the first two or three times..
    what I didnt realise is that just how quickly smack caught up with him,and within two months the pleasure of using faded to be replaced with a tangible need,I was still convincing himself that the good times would come back it was just a question of using more and more to recapture them..thus SWIM caught himself a king size habit of five years duration,by the end of which close to a teenth of brown was absolutley required every day...SWIM shudders now at the addictive properties of smack and daily gives thanks for the power of suboxone which got his life back together..

11. YeaXTC

YeaXTC Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    when swim first tried heroin, he smoked it and snorted it. it was the most amazing feeling of his life, (he had already been addicted to opiate painkillers, then tried H). he couldnt believe that for very little money he could get as fucked up as 1-2 OC 80s!! His first try was a bag, then 3 days later got 1 bag, then 2 days got 2 bags, then 3 days got 6 bags, and after that he knew that he was already addicted to pills, and heroin was too cheap, and too good so swim knew he couldnt do it anymore. I could only imagine the rush from shooting heroin, though. one of the most amazing feelings, literally, on earth he hears. but swims staying far away from it now. maybe someone can do H once without getting addicted, but if someone does opiates weekend-ly, or a few times a week, for a sustained period of time, it usually ends up in an addiction, so if You is considering doing opiates or heroin, please use caution because even though You might not want to believe it addiction is real and can happen to anyone!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    1. 5/5,
      Good summary of contributing factors.
      Nov 4, 2009
  12. Sniffin Sunshine

Sniffin Sunshine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    for swim heroin was the drug to top all drugs. that first line convinced her she would never do another opiate again. that first mainline convinced her that she would never snort it again.
    it was like love at first site.. as if I had a heroin shaped hole in her heart and she had tried to fill it with weed, coke, x, benzos and even other opiates and it just never did the trick, but finding heroin was like finding the key that unlocked her soul
    i know that sounds pretty intense, but swim tells me thats how she feels about h

the reason some (like me) fall in love after one hit, and others develop a habit gradually, and still others find it to not be worth all the hype and leave it alone, all has to do with individual receptors in the brain.
    swim actually learned this in detox :)
    the thing is everyone has these little receptors and different drugs fit into diffferent ones and in turn release the feel good chemicals
    but not all brains are created equal and so wereas person x might get the most feel good chems from hroin, person z gets way more from coke
    this is why people have different drugs of choice

one thing is sure though, once You have done smack regularly for a littel while, there becomes a physical dependance, and once that happens, your body is reprogrammed into actually physically needing the drug to function
    for non addicts: imagine the worst case of the flu youve ever had, multiply that x10
    add extreme body aches like you just got out of a car accident, and suvere mental anguish
    ok, now imagine that you know that all you have to do to stop this feeling is go score some more smack
    that is why junkies like swim get such a desperation for the drug. not only is our body rebelling and crying out for the drug, our mind is too, and is telling us to do ANYTHING it takes to just get that sickness to go away.
    and of course, once you feel the high of mainlinging some h, you can never un-feel it.
    and if your like swim and loved it- then your fate is sealed

not saying junkies cant get clean- this forum is living proof that we can, and there are some quite insipirational memebers here that will agree.
    sadly I hasnt achieved long term sobriety yet, but she does know its possible.

1. 3/5,
      detailed insightful reply,excellent description of physical dependence
      Nov 14, 2009
    2. 3/5,
      very honest and easy to understand facts.
      Nov 4, 2009