A quick question from a lapsed member re: Exp. Reports

Discussion in 'About Drugs-Forum.com' started by Benzhead, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hi,

I have read Alfa's experience report guidelines here.

They are as follows:
    1. What drug(s) you took.
    2. How much you took.
    3. In what setting, environment you took it.
    4. The time after you first noticed effects. (also called onset)
    5. The duration of the main effects.
    6. The duration of the secondary effects.
    7. If there where anyside effects, mentally or physicially.
    8. Time when effects where gone.
    9. Aftereffect, like afterglow, etc.
    10. Overall conclusion and rating of the experience.
    Any and all experience reports I will submit will include all of the above.

SWIM's question is whether or not it is convention to include items such as, but not limited to, whether and how the experience has been integrated by the reportee, and what level of detail is acceptable?

These are not simply academic questions, as I have been keeping journals for approximately two decades, and SWIM's reports might seem like a Tolstoy novel to some members(I know that they seem like it to him ;) ).

Since I am reacquainting himself with this community, I don't wish to upset the apple cart; to use an American phrase.

(I have read lots of reports on the site, and SWIM's shortest report might exceed the lengthiest I have read)

SWIM really needs to punctuate the length of his journal reports. 1500 words is on the short side. Some approach 2500 words when the sometimes lengthy process of integration, or utter inability to integrate the experience is included. But this evolutionary process is very important to envelop the reader in the entire experience.

SWIM can of course edit his reports to conform to forum norms. It is not as if I am pining to submit a report NOW! ;)

If some experienced SWIMmers could give SWIM a little guidance, SWIM'll appreciate it very much. If a mod. or two would chime in, that would be terrific!

Thanks in Advance,

Bh

Epilogue: This post should give the reader a flavor for the amount of prose that I use in describing his experiences. It took me all of the above to simply ask: "How long should experience reports be?" You have been warned! ;)

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Since I never did finish the last chapter of Tolstoy's war and peace(got fed up with that long ass book), I'd say have You post a shortened experience report and then ask for reactions here. Long reports do not get as many reads as short ones, but they do tend to be the most interesting ones.

3. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks, Alfa.

I will post a report early next week, as SWIM's plate is really full this week.

FWIW, SWIM never finished W&P either, but did read Anna Karenina in its entirety.

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIJ thought anna karenina was gorgeous

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    An abstract may be helpful to some people. You can post it ahead of the main report and it can include a basis synopsis of drugs ingested, basic effects, and maybe a very shortened conclusion.

I am considering doing this with his trip report threads from now on as he tends to be verboase and go heavily into detail when making the reports. He thinks an abstract would be a good idea to give people an idea of what the report is about and get the main point out so people can read it in case they don't want to read through the entire rambling report :p

6. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Darn! I am sorry to have neglected this thread. A thousand pardons.

Agreed.

Thanks. SWIM tries to be thorough, but concise. Although SWIM sometimes gets into 'florid prose' mode, and then all bets are off ;)

I am nearly done going through his journals picking prime events for their novelty, and should have something posted by one week from today.