1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Overdose - A quick way to end your bad trip

Discussion in 'LSD Discussions' started by sundance_kid, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sundance_kid

sundance_kid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sometimes LSD can be a little overpowering, with a little help from the vitamin niacin a trip that has gone pear shaped can be ended relatively fast.

Niacin is a B vitamin that (in short version) metabolizes toxins in your blood. due to the typically small doses contained on most blotter LSD, 1.5-6 grams of niacin per day (or one tablet) is usually enough to rid your system of most if not all LSD

Before taking niacin
    Do not take this medication if you are allergic to nicotinic acid, or if you have severe liver disease, a stomach ulcer, or active bleeding.
    Before taking niacin, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

liver or kidney disease;
    heart disease or uncontrolled angina (chest pain);
    a stomach ulcer;
    diabetes;
    gout; or
    a muscle disorder such as myasthenia gravis.

2. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    I've heard both ways on this one. Some claim that niacin (nicotinic acid)/niacinamide can help bring you down from a trip, while others argue that the effect is placebo.

See brief studies below... Abraham Hoffer did some research back in the 50's which indicates that niacin could actually lessen the effects of psychedelics, as well as relieve symptoms of schizophrenia. However, note that in these studies the niacin was injected, which most likely contributed to the intensity of the effect.

Do be aware that niacin is associated with hepatotoxicity, so be careful (3rd citation below).

3. keychick

keychick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Sundance, that would be the same as one of those five hour energy
    drinks i believe?

4. zerozerohero

zerozerohero Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Another very effcetive way to end a trip is resorting to the use of benzodiazepines like diazepam or clonazepam. This and a good dose of vitamin C puts swim into a nice and confy comedown ending in solid sleep, whatever the dose of lsd used may be. Add a couple of good spliffs to that and you're golden...

[EDIT]: @rater/hater - not that i care so much, but ending a trip and ending a bad trip is the same thing, at least from the pharmacologic point of view. There is nothing dangerous in using benzos at classic dosages to slow down one's hamster wheel of a brain when things start getting out of hand, provided one isn't drunk as shit or on other depressants, and there's no mention of alcohol or other depressant's in the op's post, hence, that post rating is absolute, complete bogus! FYI, most people reaching out to medical help when they trip too hard on acid or other hallucinogens will be treated with benzodiazepines, at least in most parts of Europe - a strong dose of benzos like clonazepam, bromazepam, clorazepate or diazepam is not unusual in these cases, even when the patient has had a few beers with his acid.
    This being said, i won't feed the troll any further.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. sundance_kid

sundance_kid Newbie

Reputation Points:
    not too sure, swim took some niacin a little over an hour after taking LSD and the effects of the LSD diminished quite a bit, this was also tested again in a different instance about 5 hours after taking LSD with similar effects leading me to make this post

6. VitaminPower

VitaminPower Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Greetings!

I'd like to ask you some help with one of the quotes mentioned above (reactivating an old thread here) =P

As I was searching for this peculiar article considering the link between niacin and LSD that I read couple of years ago, the only potent result I got was your quote on this very forum.

The quote goes:

"Use of nicotinic acid (niacin, B3) to abort psychosis
    Abraham Hoffer (1956)
    We have given the subject 100 ug. of LSD; at the height of the experience we injected intravenously 200 mg. of nicotinic acid. Our experience has been that, within a matter of two to five minutes, almost all of the LSD phenomena disappeared, and the subject claimed that he was entirely normal.
    Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176029#ixzz21BTKjfyE

I tried to find that article again but with no results ever so far. I was thinking that maybe you can provide me some link to that article where you have spotted that yourself? :) I'd be extremly grateful for that!

Thanks in advance!