Extraction - A second wash for PST worth it?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by Wthdrlsucks, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Wthdrlsucks

Wthdrlsucks Silver Member Benefactor

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from Arizona, United States
    My cat is wondering if, when rinsing poppy seeds, a second rinse or wash is really worth it? Does it really yield enough more alkaloids to make it worth it?

Thanks...

1. 2/5,
      Please read your previous reputation advice regarding speaking in the first person.
      You're not a cat. Thanks.
      Jul 9, 2017
  2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Drugs are for humans, it would not be safe to give a cat poppy seed tea.

Maybe? How about you try it and see what it does?

3. la fee brune

la fee brune Titanium Member Sponsor

Reputation Points:
    from Cowtown
    Yes, it is worth it. If you don't do a second wash, you're wasting a ton of the "good stuff." The second wash is usually about two thirds to three quarters as potent as the first, in my experience.

4. Wthdrlsucks

Wthdrlsucks Silver Member Benefactor

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from Arizona, United States
    Oh wow! I have been throwing all that away! I'm such a dumb ass. The first washes are a dark yellow/light brown and the second is white so I thought it didn't have any value. Thank you so much. When I am on my phone (most of the time) I can't use the search function. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

5. phil9262

phil9262 Solution User Titanium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    So do you think (if you get that much out of a second wash) that it's worth it to do a third wash as well?

6. la fee brune

Reputation Points:
    from Cowtown
    I've never found a third wash to be worthwhile. Two washes in warm water seem to be enough to get the vast bulk of the "goodies" off the seeds, in my opinion.

7. Kisu

Kisu Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Finland
    In my experience, a second wash has always yielded about 20%-25% the amount of goodies you get from the first wash. In other words, the second wash from, for example, 2kg-2.5kg of seeds is equal in effect to a first wash of 500g of seeds. Whether this means a second wash is worth the effort and extra liquid to drink depends a lot on your using pattern, IMO. For a recreational user who partakes in PST only occasionally, it might not make much of a difference, but if one is addicted and needs the stuff to function on a daily basis, not doing a second wash and thus making the most of their seeds would be pretty dumb. I used to always do second washes and refrigerate them, and for every 6 days dosing on first washes, I could comfortably get by on the 7th with just the second washes from the fridge. Most of my money went to seeds, so diligently doing a second wash every time I made tea was a must.

1. 4/5,
      Good point about the need to maximize your "bang for the buck" when using the tea daily.
      Aug 23, 2017
  8. _archaeopteryx

_archaeopteryx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from Oregon, United States
    My friend always does three washes. The first two he combines into his main 'stash' (if you will) - the one he greedily ingests - and the third one is kept aside for later consumption... Although not nearly as strong, there is most certainly "enough" "goodies" to warrant a 3rd wash... In his experience, 4 is useless... 3 though... still "worth it." This may also depend on your seeds though. You might try 3 and save that last one aside for a little "booster" sometime.

Cheers.

9. Name goes here

Name goes here Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts
    I only wash twice as I find a third tends to bring out a lot of oils/nasties that cause headaches. Warm lemonade used for the first wash, 50/50 water lemonade that's room temp for the second. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours and discard the sediment.

10. Oxysnocone

Oxysnocone Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from California, United States
    Today I am trying fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (self-picked!) with my seeds, in perro-'s ratio of 8 oz seeds to 1.5 cups juice for the first wash, and 1 cup juice for the second wash.

Two questions:
    1). Important that juice be warmed, or let to room temperature?
    2). Have looked for an answer to this, but not finding anything satisfactory: How best to filter juice (or tea) from pesky seeds? Juice is sort of thicker, and making zero progress through the single coffee filter, even the top pour with few seeds...!

11. Opidelic

Opidelic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If you have good seeds, always. I'll do a third and even fourth wash when I'm feeling thrifty. They won't be as strong but they will work, and this is coming from an IV heroin user with a hell of a tolerance.

12. Opidelic

Opidelic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I always use hot water, not boiling, but as hot as it will get from the tap. I find that using hot water always helps get more opium off the seeds, the end result is a nice opaque brown that tastes very bitter and you can see the opium sitting at the bottom. When I use cold water I get something that sort of looks like lemonade and never really works.

13. la fee brune

Reputation Points:
    from Cowtown
    Hot, acidified water is always best. This study confirms it. Most of the alkaloids (morphine, thebaine, codeine) are going to be in the water. The sludge at the bottom will still have some, but most of what you want is going to be in the liquid. The stuff at the bottom is going to be inert plant material, because what you're working with are generally seeds that have been coated in a fine dust of pod powder that filters can't remove.

1. 4/5,
      Sound and knowledgeable guidance.
      Nov 3, 2017