1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

A warning for those taking Buprenorphine and on court ordered drug screens.

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by sipx, Nov 16, 2010.

1. sipx

sipx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM's friend was notified of a failing urine for Buprenorphine. The only boxes that were checked on SWIM's friend's drug test request papers that were sent to the lab are: Opiates, Alcohol (Etgs).

Unchecked was Buprenorphine, yet it still came up! How unfortunate, because the friend had accumulated a bit of 'clean time'.

Just a warning, because SWIM's friend is in drug court, and it's unknown as to what is going to happen to them in the coming weeks...

Be careful...

ADD:

Just to state -- Buprenorphine was a test item but was left unchecked. Un - be - lievable!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    That does not surprise me. At the lab I worked at we had a policy to test all incoming samples for all of our commonly tested analytes. In many of these cases our own policies over-rode any tests requested, our tests became more inclusive.

If you look on the Drug Testing Comprehensive Guide, you will see that I listed buprenorphine as a common and standard analyte on expanded panel tests. Expanded panels are much more likely to be used for criminal drug testing.

3. C.D.rose

C.D.rose Donating Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from belgium
    Wow, I have never heard of that. I thought it was all about cost-efficiency.

Anyhow, buprenorphine is an opiate (well, an opioid, but ok), so I don't really get the surprise either though. The buprenorphine box was probably meant for "buprenorphine only".

4. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    It depends on the specific kind of testing and the kind of lab. The lab I was referring to was a state funded lab that did all of the drug testing for law enforcement agencies throughout the state. Even through the recent economic crisis, this lab was very well funded. There was a state law that allocated a specific amount of taxpayer money to this lab. In such a case it is understandable as this lab had a prominent position in state legal affairs and law enforcement.

This is something that I have tried to stress before, criminal drug testing is a very different arena than other types of drug testing, such as employment drug testing. Criminal drug tests typically have more analytes and confirmations are always done.

And to clarify buprenorphine does act on opiate receptors, but it is structurally different enough that it will not cause a positive on an immunoassay drug screen for opiates or opioids. A specific buprenorphine test must be done. In the case of the lab I mentioned, buprenorphine was a specific analyte on our immunoassay panel.

5. stryder09

stryder09 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Was it suboxone (contains naloxone)? Naloxone has been proven to cause a positive reaction for opiates on some CEDIA reagent kits...Cat has never seen Buprenorphine cross react and cause a positive result.

6. salgoud

salgoud

Reputation Points:
    60 y/o Male from togo
    Buddy knows of no antagonist/agonist or antagonist which comes up positive for opiates. Even though Buprenorphine is a "Bentley Compound" produced from oripavine it does need a special test. Of course, maybe technology in the drug testing industry has added norbuprenorphine (a metabolite of Suboxone) to its opiate screen and an is an agonist at most opiate receptors.

Are you sure your friend is being totally honest. Could he have slipped, since he's taking Suboxone, he is obviously trying to avoid opiate W/D's. Those kits work, but so did Buddy's EMIT machine, that tested up to 100 UA's on the EMIT wheel. They sometimes had problems with "carryover". The previous UA would be very "hot", the extraction needle was cleaned by the machine everytime, but sometimes it didn't rid all the drug of the previous sample. As long as the original UA wasn't contaminated, a hot on the EMIT would be weeded out with the other tests.

It would be hot, until it went analysis through the FIA and GC/MS. If it was hot on all three modalities, it would be called hot. Many things can go wrong if the Chemist or Lab Technician isn't careful. And here people's lives are at stake. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Also, Naloxone has only a 2% bioavailabity. Only 0.04mg would be in his system. A minute amount. Naloxone, naltrexone, pentazozine, butorphanol, Nubain, do not create usually create a false positive. Opiates and semi-synthetic opiate agonists: Heroin, morphine, codeine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone and others come up positive under the opiate screen. Sythetic opiates have to have a separate test. Methadone, Demerol, Fentanyl, etc. Back when Buddy was testing UA's, we could test for fentanyl, but because of the small amount of metabolite it was analyzed separately from the other modalities.

Perhaps UA technology has changed. Maybe they checked it after your friend left. Anything can happen if someones out to get you.

salgoud

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. 80sbaby

80sbaby Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    good lord salgoud.
    when you get a chance, could you build a device that would allow me to download all the information in your head into mine.

8. Jasim

Jasim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    To be clear about one thing, for Suboxone testing requests or positives: our lab did not look for or care about naloxone (it's not absorbed through the GI anyway, so one should never see it in urine or blood). Such positives only looked for buprenorphine.

Can you please provide the reference citation? I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is a little confusing to me for the reason I mentioned above, naloxone is NOT absorbed. It's put into pills for two reasons: one is to prevent patients from attempting to crush and inject pills (the naloxone would block the opiate receptors, it is active when injected) and the second is to block opiate receptors in the gut thereby preventing opiate-induced constipation. Therefore, even if naloxone causes false positives in an immunoassay, I'm not sure how pertinent that is since naloxone would only be in urine or blood if it were delivered via injection (unlikely outside of a medical setting, unless a user just didn't know what they were doing).

Naltrexone is absorbed through the GI. Is it possible you mean naltrexone? Naltrexone is starting to be used in very small dosages for therapeutic reasons, so this could be very relevant. Given the extremely small doses used however I again wonder if it is even relevant.

If it's been proven, then there must be some studies on it. Please share your source.