A Week Of Sobriety!

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by darkglobe, Apr 5, 2007.

1. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    "The time hath come..."

Yep! The time has come for SWIM to (attempt) to go for an entire week without the intake of any psychoactive drug whatsoever, apart from those naturally present in food/drink. This, of course, excludes alcohol. I will continue his intake of Caffeine as he does not sleep well.

SWIM's been begging me to ask you all if you know of any other means of altering his consciousness? Oxygen starvation is not an option before someone suggests it.

Also, what on earth shall SWIM do to kill the boredom? He doesn't even have cigarettes anymore.

~Dark

2. _caesar_

_caesar_ Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I recently tried this as he had made the decision to quit alcohol for good, or as the people belonging to the cult that is A.A. would say "one day at a time".

He also was coming off a benzo addiction, yes Xanax are truly evil.

He spent the first few week watching movies, do a Google search for the top 100 movies of all time and work your way through the list, find all the Oscar winning movies for the last 20 years, golden globes etc. They all can be downloaded.

He did falter once but is back on track and doesn’t have to keep himself occupied with the cinematic arts.

3. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks, _caesar_, for your advice!

SWIM already gains great pleasure from the cinematic arts! He thinks this may not be what he is looking for, but nevertheless, he says thank you!

I think I am looking for some way of escaping reality without the use of drugs (meditation is also outta the question as he's not particularly good at it).

4. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    I have heard (not via SWIM, honest!) that someone who was unable to consume alcohol felt the need to masturbate. A lot.

Hope this helps.

5. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Psshh..excuses excuses! :p Meditation should be given another try..anyone can do it, it takes practice.

I would suggest exercise..when you get bored, go for a walk outside..or go to the gym, ride a bike, go swimming, whatever you can do where you live. If you run, try long distances and get that runner's high - it's real and it feels amazing :D

6. ojos_de_brujo

ojos_de_brujo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim thinks this sobriety week is a good idea, Darkglobe. I am joining you.

7. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    3 Days In: So Far, So Good!

SWIM wishes youojos_de_brujo the best of luck and hopes he/she has a happy, constructive week!

3 days in and this is what SWIM writes in his diary....

I hope you'll join me in wishing SWIM the best of luck in his attempt, and use his diary as a non-preaching warning. As they say "Everything In Moderation..." and "Too much of nothing is bad enough, but too much of something is just as tough..."

8. ojos_de_brujo

Reputation Points:
    Swim wishes you success!
    She herself decided to wait untill monday, since Easter in my family comes with champagne and she loves this bubbly drink and doesn't want to wait untill Christmas for a next taste.

Did You ever hear about green clay? Swim drinks this when she's trying to be healthy, it helps clean liver and kidneys.

Swim wishes SWIDarkglobe luck and determination.

9. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    GO FOR IT!!

I am sober ... usually for two weeks because I say something about them neurotransmitt-a-thingies and tolleranceses. ;)

I don't count the Dexedrine because even that is a tool for focusing on writing.(<

10. Dvgrn

Dvgrn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM decided to do the same thing, but it continued much much longer. He is twice as productive now, but misses altered consiousness.

Good luck to you.

11. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Well, well well!
    Five whole days in.... Let's see what I has to say!
    Update time:

It seems I am having a few communication glitches... let's try again:

I still wish SWIM the best of luck, and trust he will at least complete the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  12. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Hang in there, old swim tried sobriety a few times. The last time he had five years clean, sober and celibate. Good luck on your quest.

13. svenghali

svenghali Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    SWISven involuntarily quit drugs as his school drug tests him on a random but frequent basis. He now sticks to tobacco, alcohol when he's home, and amphetamines, as they are prescribed to him, so he can binge on those all he wants. The occasional DXM experience as well livens SWISven's day (perhaps once every two months). He used to use cannabis on a once-every-four-hours regimen, as well as a little cocaine. Now, every time SWISven is chilling and the bowl comes around, he has to wave it by...

14. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    An update: SWIM completed his week of sobriety. Just that once, though :p

15. TMM

TMM Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Nicely done. It sounds like You knows exactly where he stands with each substance. Which is always a good thing.

16. ojos_de_brujo

Reputation Points:
    Swim completed a few weeks of (trying out) sobriety in april and may. She realised her physical dependence of prescription drugs was bigger than she expected it to be. She now quit smoking, alcohol and masturbating. Until further notice... (nice one flaming someone who was honest at the time and almost died in the process) Oh yeah, Swim tries to quit something every day, and she could, if she could only find a reason to do so.

17. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Heh -
    I'll leave it to your imagination which one is hardest for me :p

18. LookingForHer

LookingForHer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from uganda
    Do something productive :p

Get a hobby basically. Something hands-on. A craft, or art. You don't have to be the next star. Just have to have FUN doing what you are doing, that's all that matters.

Otherwise, play computer games, lol.

19. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Computer games are Swim's saviour! Lol.

I have been playing Deus Ex (a 9 year old FPS game) online, for about 9 months (he first started when banned from DF for a while) and that has done wonders for Swim. He didn't touch drugs for ages! The nicotine is still being a bitch, though. Swim now considers himself a non-smoker but does have the occasional cigarette when he really needs it (once every few weeks ish).

ANyhoo - after the last week of sobriety I have been... well, let's just say "livin it up" a little. He has now decided to go for another period of sobriety (this time accompanied by a regular excercise regime and detox program).

I know this time it will be easier, as all of his more recent drug use has been occasional and has always been for a specific reason, not just to "get a buzz" or to "liven life up".

=) Here goes nothin'.....

20. pillpopper96743

pillpopper96743 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Holy Shit Darkglobe, your avatar fuckin scared me. I have been sober for over a week and he cant take it. He played vidoegames and watched movies to pass the time. Snuff and cigs had helped alot. He also worked on his car and lifted weights. Withdrawal fuckin sucked. I had took 7 hydros earlier and has never felt better in his life. He appreciates them way more now than he ever did.