Injecting - Abscess (from injecting coke) perhaps....please help!

Discussion in 'Cocaine & Crack' started by surrealREALITY, Apr 7, 2006.

1. surrealREALITY

surrealREALITY Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so I injected cocaine a few days ago and thinks she has an abscess because her hands were shaking when she injected and she missed her shot. but....shes terrified she has an abscess but the site of injection is not red but a lighter pink and there is no white pus shit in the middle of it. so what can I do without going to the doctor and letting her crazy family know she injects
    so the pink bump didn't happen until three days after the injection and there was only a bump in the beginning
    also, the skin isn't hard or anything, just pink sore, and a little warm

she soaks it a couple times a day, but doens't have any penicillin
    but she does have bactroben
    and its only been here a like two days, no bigger, no smaller...and there is a bruise thats yellow at the bottom of it

and shes freaking out and would LOVE you if anyone responded for help!

yay! thanx

More information:
    IV Dangers
    Missed Shots
    Infection & Amputation

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    It will go away over time.....I has missed quite a few injections due to shaking....it sucks....but the worst thing was it got a little sore and looked like a raised bruise for a few days and then it went away.....

If you notice it starting to spread out further and you start feeling a reasonable amount of pain be advised to get medical help....and do not try to fix it yourself...

It scared the shit out of swim the first time he did that though... ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  3. surrealREALITY

surrealREALITY Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thank you....I will try to not freak out but alas, long time usage of coke makes one paranoid, teeheehee
    i hope it goes away....its on my upper arm and it hurts grrrr

weeeeee i love cocaine

Seize the moment, hold it fast
    Seize the day and make it last
    Lose no moment to stupidity
    Bleed the moment, live it free

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  4. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yeah it will be sore for a little while but nothing else should come of it...just keep it monitored for growth and pain....

5. CtrlAltDel

CtrlAltDel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So I had some coke and was bored, so she decided to shoot it up. She used proper IV technique, and registered, and there was dark red blood so she started pushing the plunger in. It went in easily, but she didn't really feel a rush. Her heart just started beating faster and she got freaked out for a sec. After she finished the shot, there was still some cocaine/water solution in the syringe so she drew up a little more water and put the needle back into the hole from the last shot and she shot that up without registering. She injected about 1/3 of a line's worth of coke and 50 units of the coke/water solution. SWIM realizes the bubble is probably a missed shot, but will it form an abscess or ulcer? She's really freaked out about it since she hasn't missed a shot before! Given the amount of coke, was it normal to not feel a big rush? The bubble that formed was also relatively small, about 1/2 an inch in diameter, so is it possible she only missed part of the shot, maybe when she put the needle back in?

6. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Ok, if you push a needle into the skin where the vein was without registering, you possibly weren't even in a vein, it was skin popped. So don't worry about the air, you'd need a lot more than that even if You had hit a vein. Just massage the area well, to disperse the shot, that makes it less likely that an abscess will form.

Gotta say, injecting coke is not the best way to use it, especially if you're not spot on with IV techniques, just check out the IV threads, there are lots in the heroin forum. Watch the IV site, if it starts getting hot and red You may have an abscess. Then she'd need to see a doc for antibiotics.Be careful and stay safe?

Sparkles.:vibes:

missparkles added 5 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

Deleted.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. CtrlAltDel

CtrlAltDel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know how to IV properly, and she's done it before with pills even though they're not very safe to inject. What air is You talking about? SWIM made sure there were no air bubbles inside the syringe.

8. missparkles

missparkles If you like crazy you've come to the right place. Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Sorry my mistake, I thought SWIy said she'd injected some air...Jesus, I must be seeing things now.

Ok, maybe she is careful, but injecting pills can cause major vein blockages, so just be careful is all I am saying.

Sparkles.:vibes:

9. CtrlAltDel

CtrlAltDel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The bubble went away but I feel something hard in there... maybe she's reading too much into it. It's a bit more bruised than normal. :(

10. davestate

davestate Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from northern_ireland
    Skin popping cocaine (I know you didn't mean to) can be very dangerous because it is a potent vasoconstrictor. That means that the blood vessels around the missed shot will clamp down. This in turns means reduced blood flow. Now that's not really too bad on it's own, it's only a small area.

HOWEVER, there is a risk of infection with IV street drug use, either from poor technique (however you said your technique was good, did you clean the skin with an alcohol wipe and use a fresh rig, boil the solution etc etc?) or contaninants in the drug itself (god knows where that coke has been on it's journey from producer to importer to street dealer to you).

Now if bacteria was present in the shot, and that bacteria is in an area of poor blood flow, there is a greater risk of developing an abcess or infection, as reduced blood flow means a number of things:

1. Some bacteria (anaerobic) thrive in areas of low oxygen, since blood flow through capillaries may be stunted, there may be low oxygen. These anaerobic bacteria multiply fast. Examples of this are necrotizing fasciitis and Cellulitis. If you think it is getting more painful or more red, mark the edge of the redness with a marker. If it keeps getting bigger, get to the hospital. This is cellulitis: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/adam/images/en/cellulitis-picture.jpg
    2. White blood cells that fight infection cannot get to the injured area, again due to vasoconstriction. This means bacteria have a better chance to multiply.

I DON'T MEAN TO FRIGHTEN YOU, THE CHANCES OF THIS HAPPENING ARE VERY VERY SMALL, BUT COCAINE ADDS EXTRA RISK FACTORS FOR DEVELOPING ABCESSES AFTER SUB-Q INJECTION OR MISSED SHOTS.
    I just thought I'd point out what might happen and what to look for, in case it happens to anyone else on the forum. think of this as a reference for other users.

Hope you are OK, I think you most certainly should be, basically keep an eye on it, if it looks to be spreading or starts weeping pus or smells funny, see a doctor. Keep it dry and covered in the mean time, perhaps applying some magnesium sulphate paste or an antiseptic

11. CtrlAltDel

CtrlAltDel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks for your help guys :vibes:
    I don't think she has anything to worry about, as the swelling went down. As yous probably know, one shot is never enough, and even though she didn't miss again, both her arms are now bruised/tracked up and in pain :(

12. freebirdbulker

freebirdbulker Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    a thing that I do if this happens is take a muscle rub cream like Ben Gay and rub a little bit around the area. it forces blood to go to the area and relieves some of the pain

13. BoxStar

BoxStar Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  14. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and someone very close to me shot up in their forearm with some coke and missed the vein. This person noticed after a couple of days an abscess forming. In previous cases, the abscesses would have drained on their own or dissipated. This one, however continued to grow and is now roughly half the length of the forearm (underside). He went to see the doctor yesterday afternoon and they put him on doxycyclene and cetraphen(I think that spelling is correct?) So far, there has been no improvement and it has been about 16 hours. Is he being too anxious? His doctor wants him back tomorrow evening regardless of improvement. He just wanted to know if the antibiotics should be working already? If there was something else he could be doing? Did he make such a huge mistake that he is going to lose an appendage? Any information would help. Thank you!!!!

15. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    There is no reason not to call your doctor and tell them you are really worried. Do that and see what they say.

16. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Is it getting any worse? Or just not improving (yet)?

I've never had to take abx for an abscess, but when I've taken them for other reasons, it often takes at least 24 hours before I start to feel better.

It's good that there's a doc appointment already made; if you're on abx I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it was still getting worse. Then I'd call the doctor sooner & ask him/her what you should do.

~Kailey

17. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend can't tell whether or not it's getting worse or not. He says the pain subsides when the arm is at rest for an extended period and then when he starts to move it again the pain seems worse than it was before, which in my experience is how pain normally is. Potter, as per your advice, the doctor told me to come in only if the redness got worse or if he had a fever. The redness stopped spreading after this morning as far as he could tell and as far as a fever he has no access to a thermometer. His head feels warm but it is cold inside and out this time of year where he lives. The main thing that's worrying him at this moment is the rigidity of the abscess and the extreme amount of pain in the whole forearm. He appreciates the quick responses!

Mantis added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Also, this is the first abscess he is dealing with that is this large and this unmanageable. He has heard that the warning sign is red stripes going up the arm. The redness that spread overnight-through the morning was more like a sunburn/bruise kind of deal.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Usually antibiotics take about 24 hours to get into your system and start working, the pain might increase slightly as the medicine starts to work at clearing up the infection. If you already have appointment scheduled then you are ok to wait until tomorrow. If the antibiotics don't help in bringing the size down then they may need to cut into it and drain the fluids surgically. It will be a sorry process if they need to do this, just injecting a small shot of a pain reliever and then using a small scalpel to cut the skin and squeeze the pus and infected fluid out, or they may use a s suction device like they use at the dentist to suck the fluids out.

19. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thank you. This is most likely the case if the doctor said it was a cellulitis abscess? I think that's the word he used. He said that the fluid is concentrated in the outer layers of the skin and that is the reason he could not drain it initially.

20. Twizal

Twizal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    I'm a little surprised your dr didn't give you intramuscular antibiotics to get them into the system Quickly .Personally I'd go back if the pain was worse. There are other meds that can be given to help the cellulitis etc. so what if he says ," you're going ok you didn't need to come back!' You have the reassurance you need. It's so hard to tell you what to do as we can't see it ,etc and we aren't drs. I always err on the side of caution with this type of thing...really better safe than sorry.
    Do you have a hospital closer if you are worried?
    The dr. Left it 24hrs to see what effect the anti-biopics were having.
    Good luck , mate, nice to see you on DF , keep us posted.