Drug info - absinth pills

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Bodhisattva500, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Bodhisattva500

Bodhisattva500 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Is it possible and has anyone ever tryed to extract the thujone out of wormwood and make pills? Because once you take to many shots of absinth the alchohol starts to overpower the absint the would make sense so you could feel the effects of the absinth better.

2. cyalume

cyalume Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i have a bottle of wormwood extract sitting around.. i wonder if half the bottle would do the trick? I havent tried it yet because wormwood tastes so horrible its unbelievable.

3. serotonin

serotonin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    [From Erowid:]

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=10100

that is an extration of thujone from dried wormwood. the person smoked the thujone and found it to be psychoactive. so i guess if you could get some thujone extract you could swallow it! i think this is exactly what you are looking for if you want to do what your talking about.

4. Misanthropy

Misanthropy Newbie

Reputation Points:
  5. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    psychoactivity of thujone is way overrated. It's the mixture of different plants in absinthe ( ie fenchone from fennel, thujone from "wormwood" etc..)
    which does have a very subtle effect giving the drink that light, very light difference. Personnally I would say this also apllies to green chartreuse...
    the oral quantities necessary for feeling an eventual thujone psychoactivity are pretty big, and way beyond what was offered in original absinthe ( erronated thujone measurements at the time, the quantities measured recently with precision proved the the amount of thujone present in the orginal preprohibition absinthes drink was to weak to be responsable for psychoactivity alone)...

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/12667

6. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A large part of Absinthe's potency a cpl hundred years ago was due to the wormwood barrels it was kept in and the LED nails used to seel it.

7. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    so you're saying "absinthism" is actually lead poisining ? never heard of this theory before.

I'm trying to look up information on this but having a hard time, I have only found "internet rumors" ( I have heard, i've been told ) referering to lead poisoning coming from the lead spoon on which the sugar the was placed, being "made out of lead" (pretty easy to check, plenty around) and alcohol corrosion wearing away the coating, and thus poisoning the drink with lead, and then user. Such a corrosion would be easy to check for on ancient spoons...
    and if it was the nails, there would be heavy lead traces in the antique bottles, right ?

As for the wormwood barrels, if this was the case and wormwood was behind it then the thujone concentrations in original preprohibition absinthe would have been way higher than what was measured. What is a wormwood barrel ? a wooden barrel for stocking wormwood or a barrel "made out of wormwood" ( a herb) ? In which part of the process where they used, and this about the nails ? What kind of barrels are constructed with nails in contact with the liquid ?

no really, the lead poisoning theory doesn't seem more than a rumor, sorry

plenty of articles, both historical and contemporary, worth reading here
    http://www.feeverte.net/faq.html
    b

8. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Absolutely disguisting!~!!~!

Took 20g of dried organic wormwood and 2 cups of H20 and heated to a boil, maintained for 20 minutes, drained through cheesecloth, added a shit load of sugar, tasted, YUCK!!! = (

Added 20g citric acid and a little more sugar.. a little better, but still vulgarly bitter. Too nasty to drink, even though it may be possible to chug if diluted twice over.