Acetaminophen warning for hydrocodone

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by pillz, Jan 13, 2007.

1. pillz

pillz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    As most of you already know, acetaminophen is the main ingredient in otc painkillers and it is in heavy doses in prescription painkillers like hydrocodone.
    Acetaminophen is dangerous and should be regulated carefully when using hydrocodone. For example: on the hydrocodone bottle one may see something that says "hydrocodone APAP/ 5-500mgs". The second number is the amount of acetaminophen in it. There are many different strenghts and variations to it but that is just an example.

Too much acetaminophen can cause severe liver damage and one wont be able to know that they are poisoned until about 12 hours later unless one feels the immediate onset liver toxicity which can range from nausia to puking within a few hours.

The average body can take in 7-10 grams of acetaminophen in a 12 hour period. Even going to 4 grams daily is pushing your luck. 1000 mgs = 1 gram. So lets say one would take 4 hydrocodones, that would be 2 grams right there. Be safe and dont mix hydrocodone with other acetaminophen products as one my see right on the bottle.

Acetaminophen poisoning will cause toxicity of the liver which can be fatal if not treated quickly enough in a hospital.

So basically, if planning to take acetaminophen containing stuff to get high, add up the numbers, it may save You alot of greif or swiys life.

2. Dissociative

Dissociative Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Acetaminophen warning for hyrdocodone

This is very true, you always need to watch with that. I had a friend who though he pretty much overdosed on percocet, he wasnt a novice to opiates to not have a tolerance, he just didn't pay attention to how much acetaminophen was in it. It can cause future liver problems (which can often be diffucult to fix, and surely isn't cheap). If that doesn't persuade you, then you might want to know that it can also ruin your high when you vomiting or have terrible abdominal pain because you didn't do that math on it. Just take the extra few minutes to check that stuff out, and there is always things like Cold water extraction to take it out.

3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Simply not so. The maximum recommended dose is 4g/24 hours. 14-20g in 24 hours is well into the toxic league and can result in fulminant liver failure.

While SWIJ appreciates the overall harm reduction point to you's post, mentioning numbers like that implies to SWIMmers that they MIGHT be OK taking 3-4 times the max recommended dose, which is dangerous.

*DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN THE RECOMMENDED DOSE OF PARACETAMOL (APAP) EVER!*

4. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

^^^^^^
    Yes SWIdr concurs, acetimenophen (paracetamol or APAP) and aspirin can be very damaging, especially at those amounts.

So if one plans on going "doctor shopping" or has a choice on what prescription painkiller he wants to get (weather prescribed or blackmarket) SWIdr has a little advice. First, try getting one without any of these ingrediants such as morphine or Oxycontin. If You doesn't have those options, he should just try getting the painkiller which is the strongest but has the least amount of APAP or aspirin. Also if one plans on taking painkillers which contain these active ingrediants, they may want to consider a CWE (Use the forum search engine if You has any questions) to reduce them. One last thing, do NOT combine alcohol with acetimenophen aka paracetamol or APAP, or aspirin. This combo (even in lower dosages) can harm one's liver ALOT more than intended.

5. Dissociative

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

It is a problem that some people do encounter, and you don't want to turn 20 and have your liver fail. So pay attention to this stuff. SwiD is very cautious with this kind of stuff, he ussually trys to stay below at least 2 grams, and thats even excessive(he uses CWE if he is going to risk going over or reaching that, more less 1.5 grams.) Though, when he first started doing stuff, (not very educated in the field yet, or at least about this stuff, he just knew some of what was what) He decided to take these cold pills (had diphenhydramine and DXM, but had some Acetaminophen also - have yet to see these again either) and he looked up the toxicity rate of acetaminophen, and must of looked at the wrong source or something, because h rememebers taking around 5 to 6 grams. (Again, young and stupid at the time, possibly around 13 or 14.

6. dude

dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Look up NAC. It may help your liver pass APAP

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

^^^NAC mops up the toxic metabolites, and requires paracetamol (APAP) levels 4 hours after ingestion and body-weight to calculate effective doses. Not something that is available to you's average user!

The only thing that can be recommended is avoiding the paracteamol (APAP) in the first place: CWE: No excuses!

8. dude

dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Do you really think that the average recreational drug user really understands what you are saying. I think that you are more interested in impressing yourself than you are in helping people. And if that gets me band from this site then good bye. If you know so much about this topic, then explain it so we dummies can understand. I just put it out there so people are aware of it. They can research it and decide for themselves if they want or need it. What ever you just said makes no sense to 90% of the people reading it. You scare people away and they don't even know why they are scared.

9. Dissociative

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I partially agree there 'dude'. But that isn't completely true, this section is the section for opiates. The people here (not me) aren't smoking a blunt on the weekend with a few friends anymore, most people here know what they are talking about. I appreciate your request for someone to elaborate on it in a more simple way, but please refrain from disreguarding something that is completely relevant.

10. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

This has nothing to do with seeing whose smarter or trying to make ourselves look smart. It is about getting warnings and info to those who ARE looking for it on their own. Acetaminophen has caused alot of unwanted overdoses due to inexperienced pain killer abusers, so pardon us for our thorough attempts to warn others.

If you want a simple answer then here is one: Don't take over 4000 mg of acetaminophen within a 24 hour period. Is that simple enough for you dude?

1. 5/5,
      you pretty much said what i was thinking
      Jan 18, 2007
  11. dude

dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

This isn't the place to debate this, so I understand if this reply is deleted. But look....this site is awesome. I think that it is not only a mega learning center but it can save lives also. I certainly didn't try to make my last reply as a personal attack. I just see where there can be a huge improvement where a lot more swims would jump in and be active. If you look you will see that there are numerous views on threads but very little replies. There has to be a lot of info out there that we all can use. And when a swim hears or learns of something that he or she feels might be of great use to some people, they ought to feel comfortable in saying so. That is just my thought. This site isn't mine and I may be wrong. Jatelka obviously knows her shit, but for what it's worth, I think her type of responce to my post just shuts the whole thread down. NAC is just a tiny part of it. But if other authorities on other sites highly recommend it, and hospital emergency rooms use it for APAP od's, then why not debate it? Isn't that what forums are for? Why instantly shut it down with one authority's opinion? If the people here know what they are talking about, then why was the question asked? Let's all learn so all the swims out there can get as high as they safely can.

12. Dissociative

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I understand your opinion dude, and I know a very small percentage of visiters are actually posting, but its not because of this reason. People aren't just trying to shut people up with knowledge, and if you read the thread correctly, you would of seen that it was started primarily for spreading information, rather then a question.

13. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

The issue is probably more that NAC wouldn't be available to many my out there outside of an emergency room setting (which SWIM hopes nobody here ends up in), so its probably wiser to use caution and do a CWE up front. If one had access to NAC and was concerned about possible deleterous effects of consuming a couple vicodin, great, but its probably better to be proactive and extract any opioids first so as to avoid a situation where NAC would have to be used.

Personally I thought the info on NAC was quite interesting, and he says that him and his pet iguana enjoyed reading it, but he's still going to try to avoid ingesting any APAP if possible. But hey, if someone or their pet flamingo/squirrel/etc stumbles across this thread after they have already messed up and taken a concerning amount of APAP, then this thread could at least help them point the EMT's in the right direction for what to do...

14. BANGINCOLOR

BANGINCOLOR Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have tons of NAC laying around. GNC sells it and most health food stores sell it too.

15. dude

dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Yeah...NAC is easy to get, but I guess I was just trying to make a point in general. With that said....Dissociative-your right. It really was a warning, not a question. Forthesevenlakes- your a wise man. And Jetelka- I'm sorry that I used you to vent and make a point. (Although, you are a meanie :)

16. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

Point taken! SWIM figured it was prescription only, but knowing this, SWIM may have to keep some around just in case his critters get their snouts into any Norcos.

17. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

An item many people have laying around their houses doing nothing but collecting dust (no, not your stoned teenager): A Dictionary! Yes, it's true. These lonely books exist for a reason. This is to help one learn what is being said on those occasions that one runs across someone who thrived in an academic environment. I know - I've been a reason for many non-dictionary users to become reformed users of this mighty tome (see?).

And it's fun, too! The best by far is the Oxford - but that baby gonna land you some real cash gone. So most any one will do. Impress your dog. Scare your friends. Get back in your Dad's will! Get a dictionary! Tame them nasty ol' mean peepull.

18. TheonGreyjoy

TheonGreyjoy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I takes well over 4 grams of acetimenophen and he knows it's terrible for him but I am still alive and his liver might be injured a little but it's still working...

19. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Dpending on how much APAP You is his taking his liver may be getting quite badly damaged. Just because he is is not feeling any symptoms does not mean it is safe to continue. Please use a cold water extraction in future.
    Nice username btw ;)

20. Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones Newbie

Reputation Points:
    98 y/o

For now. Don't kid yourself, your liver is in worse condition than when you started. Could be on its last leg right now