1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Combinations - Adderall and Trazodone

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by triplikecrazy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. triplikecrazy

triplikecrazy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was wondering what would happen if I took an adderall xr 30mg (no script) and some trazodone(no script) what would happen? would the tired feeling from the trazodone not be there because of the amphetamine? if so how much trazodone?

2. kroozer

kroozer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It probably will not work to swiy's advantage unless the trazedone is taken after
    addie. Trazedone will probably be over ridden.

Snort both of them at once!

Haha

3. Mista-enigma

Mista-enigma Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am prescribed both of these meds. 30mg Adderall IR and 50mg Trazodone. The Trazodone is to aid in coming down from the addys and to get some sleep.I would suggest that You take the Traz long after the ingestion of the addy.....just to be safe.I dont suggest insufflating either of these,mos def not the Trazodone.Adderall seems to have a weaker effect when insufflated.Whatever You does just proceed with caution.Drugz can be bad....Mmmmmk!

4. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What exactly would be the point of taking these together?

5. triplikecrazy

triplikecrazy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    just to experiment and see what happens swim guesses

6. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's a really, really, really bad reason to combine drugs.

7. staples

staples Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    To be fair, at least he asked about the combination before SWItriplikecrazy actually gave it a try (I assume).

Without a prescription, I can only guess that Trazodone would be taken for it's anxiolytic or sedating qualities, so to answer the question of how much Trazodone a SWIMMER "should" take: if never taken before and with no known drug allergies: 25-50mg would be a starting dose if one were prescribed (50mg is the lowest dose in a single pill, but a Trazodone pill should be serrated). If the SWIMMER has taken Trazodone before and knows they do not have any dangerous allergies/reaction to it then, for the purpose of sedation, dosage should never exceed 150mg (not necessarily for reasons of risking an overdose, just that higher doses won't probably cause stronger sedation, etc... 150 to 400+mg dosages are used to treat depression--but I can't really understand why a SWIMMER would want to do this without consulting a doctor...)

If I understand correctly, Trazodone is water soluble, and so insufflation is a possible route of administration, but I do not know what the purpose would be, nor do I know how dangerous that would be...

Now, my impression is that SWItriplikecrazy is wondering about the recreational potential of combining amphetamine salts with Trazodone (as opposed to someone who uses Adderall without a prescription--e.g, for exams/to study--but finds the effects particularly harsh or something). My guess is that all SWItriplikecrazy knows about Trazodone is that it is used as a sleeping aid, so I think it's appropriate for someone to say that Trazodone doesn't really have recreational potential. It does not have a similar mechanism of action nor is it chemically similar to typical sleeping pills (hypnotic benzodiazepines, sometimes anxiolytic benzodiazepines, or the z-drugs).

So how would Trazodone alter the effects of amphetamine salts? Disappointingly, if the intent is indeed recreation or even if the intent includes experiencing the usual effects of the 30mg extended release of amphetamine salts. The relevant effects of Trazodone when discussing its combination with amphetamines is the antagonistic effect on both 5-HT[sub]2A[/sub] serotonin receptors and α[sub]1b[/sub] adrenergic receptors.

Antagonization of both of these receptors reduces the release of dopamine by amphetamine in the nucleus accumbens. Antagonizing the 5-HT[sub]2A[/sub] receptor should reduce or diminish the feelings of well-being or euphoria caused by amphetamines, and antagonizing the α[sub]1b[/sub] adrenergic receptors should reduce or diminish the rewarding, "strung-out" or hyperactive effect caused by amphetamines. So the result would probably be very mild stimulation, or maybe drowsiness (but likely with some racing thoughts). I don't imagine it would be particularly pleasant, though it probably also wouldn't be terribly unpleasant, it would most likely just bring the SWIMMER closer to a sober state....

I've attached some research discussing the relationship between these two receptor subtypes and their relation to dopaminergic action in the nucleus accumbens.

Attached Files:

8. sveedish

sveedish Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This post looks dead, but I happened to be googling this drug interaction and came upon this. I am prescribed 10 milligrams of Adderall instant release. I take it in the morning and on a busy day I take it in the late afternoon as well. Only once have I taken three throughout the day, I felt extremely strung out and it was an unpleasant experience. I have intermittent insomnia to begin with and Adderall really exacerbates the issue. I have a bunch of Trazadone that I had been prescribed years ago, and a few times have been so awake from Adderall that I've tried to take trazadone on top of it. The result is always the same. I get to sleep but wake up about 3 hours later with a lingering headache...If i'm lucky I can get back to sleep, but I usually still wake up feeling depressed with a hangover like headache. I wondered if maybe the combination of the two increases the risk of dehydration, so the last time I tried this combination I drank a lot of water before bedtime. Yet I still woke up a few hours later, unable to go back to sleep, with a terrible headache.

9. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Louisiana, U.S.A.
    Im prescribed both Adderall 30 mgir and Trazadone 100mg and believe the trazadone probably will counteract the amphetaminesand cause drowiness. I am also prescribed Ambien 10mg and find Trazadone a stronger sleeping pill and its primarily an antidepressant. So sorry the its a bad combo and u will fall asleep