Adderall And Xanax

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by Diethyl, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Diethyl

Diethyl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was wondering if anyone has ever been simultaneously perscribed to Adderall and Xanax. Im currently seeing a doctor and after a preliminary consoltation the doctor told me that its highly likely that I have both ADHD and high anxiety. Im going back in to see the doctor on wednesday for the full psychoanalyse. If it turns out that I do have both ADHD and high anxiety what are the chances that he will give me both Adderall and Xanax. I figured that such a combination would cause medical complications like heart palpitations or is it possible that this combination would actually reduce the taxation on my heart caused by the Adderall. Thanks for the help.

2. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I've been simultaneously prescribed Ritalin and Klonopin. The combination of a benzodiazepine and stimulant is safe as theraputic doses.

I don't think a doctor would use Xanax and Adderall as the first line of treatment for ADHD and anxiety. Before putting you on any benzodiazepine it's likely he will suggest therapy and prescribe something like Paxil or Zoloft. It's also likely that Klonopin or Ativan will be the benzodiazpines of choice. The doctor might even be hesitant to prescribe a stimulant like Adderall, Dexedrine, or Ritalin because of your anxiety and might want to try Strattera first.

3. Diethyl

Diethyl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't really have any depression so do you think its less likely that he will perscribe me antidepressants like Paxil or Zoloft. The main reson I went to get checked out was for my ADHD. It would be really dissapointing to me if I weren't able to get anything for my ADHD . My anxiety is my second cause of concern , so it wouldn't really bother me that much if I didn't get anything for it , though if I could I would prefer to get really anxiety medications and not use antidepressants for off lable uses. So what do you think I could tell my doctor that will help me get the medication that I really need.

4. 788.4

788.4 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Basically try to emphasize how problematic your ADHD is and try to minimize your anxiety. I can be much more helpful and specific over AIM with this sort of stuff, so if you have it PM me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  5. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hi! I am currently prescribed adderall and clonazepam, pretty close to the same thing as adderall and xanax. Xanax is a fast acting benzodiazepin where as Klonopin (clonazepam) is a longer lasting, slower acting benzo.

Adderall can be prescribed in XR form, for extended release, allowing you to only take one dose, first thing in the morning, generally 15-30mg max. You are supposed to take it everyday, and the xanax.. as needed. As I am supposed to do the same, but rarely need the Klonopin untill 8pm or so, otherwise I will stay up all night. As for the adderall, well, heh, it's basically pure amphetamine. You can take it everyday if you want but I find it better to take it as needed. To each his own though. Im not a doctor and not suggesting you do anything I do. To even get it prescribed is a feat for most people.

Do I have ADD/ADHD? I think we all do to some extent. Do I need medication to balance mine? Sometimes.. Does it work? Fuck yea! I make a mess of the house and start 10 different projects!

Wait a second!! It's ENHANCING my ADHD! Dammit, I do get a lot done though when I take it and it seems to help when I need to cram before an exam. I do have a rather decent GPA which I will not disclose. I hate to brag.

6. user2727

user2727 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Diethyl: i am prescribed Adderall XR 15.0 mg, Adderall immediate release 5.0 mg, and Xanax 0.5 mg. my recommendation would be to get referred to a psychiatrist instead of trying to go through your general physician (not positive that is what you're doing, but it's what i did). a general physician can be uneasy about prescribing stimulants while psychiatrists write many of them and don't have much of a problem doing so if they feel you're really ADHD. also, the combination will decrease the taxation on one's heart though for a lot of people, they don't have any problems with adderall and their heart. i take both together all the time.

one thing to add. i have both ADHD (adderall) and OCD (xanax, lexapro). the two disorders are often found together so it is not unlikely that one would have ADHD and an anxiety disorder. hope this helps.

Edit: just wanted to add that i had to go through Wellbutrin, Strattera and Adderall XR 10.0 mg before i got to what i take today, that took about 4 months or so. Strattera sucks. had all sort of nasty side-effects and Wellbutrin made me more anxious than Adderall has ever made me. also, Adderall is contradicted in patients with anxiety disorders. that's why it was more difficult for me to get Adderall.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  7. boylizard

boylizard Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have had not only that combo, but the ritalin/xanax combo as well. Works fine, great for anxiety and working on shit that needs to get done without worrying about the little stuff.

8. asplinteredfawn

asplinteredfawn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am prescribed Dexedrine and Xanax. Close enough? So far, over the past 6 or so years I've noticed no real interaction except the xanax kicks down the euphoria of the amphetamine but it also takes away the anxiety and makes it easier for me to do other things than sit on the computer and read forums chat and listen to music while I smoke cigarettes. I usually just take 1mg of xanax w/ like 50mg of dex. Then at bedtime I'll take more xanax if needed for the come down. No bad effects, but that doesn't mean their aren't any going on inside!

9. Donmeka

Donmeka Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I get RXed adderall 10mg, Xanax XR 3mg, and Xanax 1mg (2x if needed) and its been the best mix after stupid anti depressants and wasteful months of ignorant psychs.

the benzo definately works well with the stimulant, at therapeutic levels the harm does not seem harsh (long term maybe different) but I think unless tolerance is raised and raised it should be fine.

10. asplinteredfawn

asplinteredfawn Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well said man.

This I couldn't agree more.

Taking Xanax or other benzodiazepines at the same time you consume a (d-)Amphetamine or (d,l)Amphetamine based drug. They aren't a bad combo, at all; if you’re using these compounds for true therapeutic reasons, this is. I find that his Dexedrine IR (Dextrostat) tablets work very well for him, yet I also have a general anxiety disorder and taking Dexedrine can sometimes make his anxiety and incessant worrying much worse. So, I will take a medium strength dose of the Benzodiazepine that he currently fancies at that point in time.

On the other hand SWIMERS, if you’re trying to be James Dean for a day, you’ll generally want to stay away from the benzodiazepines, while you’re speeding away. But pretty much every I know that amphetamines and nearly every other drug can’t be taken forever, so you’ll have to stop wasting your pills, powders or shards; so you can get some sleep, and get that sexy morning hit you’ve been chasing the previous night. Before falling asleep you'll eventually crash and end up feeling flushed, depressed, physically tired, mentally stunted, unable to sleep, sick, dirty and more dead than alive. You'll try to sleep. Yet, your heart beat will sound like a stick beating on a little yet loud bass drum inside of your head.

This is primarily caused by the optical antipode levo isomer in the (d,l-)Amphetamine racemic compounds, in prescription medication like Adderall. The comedown is also magnified by the mild to severe malnutrition, dehydration and sleep deprivation you may have developed during your My tweakathlon. There are "some" positive aspects to the levo isomer when combined in low doses, with higher doses of the dextro isomer. But when taking (d,l-)Amphetamine for recreational reasons the ratio of (d-)Amphetamine to (l-)Amphetamine is too high and causes negative effects when taking multiple tablets.

Medications without the levo isomer, medications such as Dexedrine, Dextrostat and Vyvanse have less side effects and a drastically mild comedown in comparison to Adderall and other racemic amphetamine compounds and other faux-amphetamine stimulant medications such as Methylphenidate.

Now that we’ve established that Benzodiazepines and Amphetamines, if chosen to be taken together, can be effectively supplemental to the Amphetamine, with a mild to severe dulling of the negative and positive effects of both pharmaceuticals, highly dependent on the dosage of either substance. Or it may be used as an effective tool, at aiding in sleep as well as avoiding the horrible come downs that some stimulants produce, after mild to severe stimulant overindulgence, “spree”, “binge” or “bender”.

It comes down to the motive behind the consumption of the Amphetamine or Benzodiazepine. If either drug is being used for recreation then I should not take any Benzodiazepines till they are coming down and the positive effects of the Amphetamine are fading.

Or if the Benzodiazepine is being used as the recreational substance, the amphetamine shouldn’t be taken till the person using the drugs is starting to feel overly sedated.

Another medication that is tremendously effective at aiding the agitation and other negative effects of stimulant come downs is an adrenergic agonist called Clonidine, also commercially known as Catapres. The good thing about Clonidine is that it’s not addictive and abuse potential is fairly low compared to Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates. Not only is it a spectacular “antidote“ to most stimulant drugs. It helps with hypertension and curbs some of the effects of opiate withdrawal symptoms; but that’s on a completely unrelated topic and does not relate to this section of the forum or this post.

I think that sums up everything about taking Benzodiazepines such as Xanax with stimulant drugs such as Amphetamines like Adderall. But I’m sure I’ve left something out. But I have been taking the combination of Xanax, Dexedrine, and Methadone; he also has a prescription for Clonidine but only takes it as a substitute for Xanax when taking his biweekly Benzodiazepine sabbatical.

All of our My need to take the addictive potential of the drugs they take into consideration. Amphetamines are much more in My experience a mental addiction, besides for mild depression and a little lethargy. Yet Benzodiazepines can be… Mentally and physically deathly addictive; SWIM still takes them quite often but makes a point to take the lowest effective dose, but I do admit he has always had a natural tolerance to Benzodiazepines and if he were to tell most doctors his average daily dose, especially when being mixed with Methadone. But he has found a doctor who is NOT a quack but understands that everyone’s body and metabolic chemistry is different.

Just know this, everyone out there, young and old who hasn’t learned what I'm about to say on their own, please take this with you and your SWIM and live by it for the rest of you and your My life.

Knowledge means the difference, between a lifelong love affair with your My chemicals of choice, this relationship can remain stable, healthy and even beneficial to My life; That’s only if your SWIM can use his substances as tools, a reward, or more in the way a bottle of fine wine is drank. Ignorance is the enemy of any drug user, not only will you lose your dignity, self respect, general wellbeing, family, friends and possessions. But the life style will cause physical distress and illness.

Idleness, ignorance, self pity and ignoring your priorities are what will really make your I waste their life, lose their freedom or lose their life. That’s why this I believe websites like this are an important and it is crucial for all users of any substance even prescriptions that are legally prescribed to you, like my I had alcohol, hallucinogens or heroin. Learn Live and Love; Stay safe all of your SWIMEMERS SWIMMER.

Matthew

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  11. blad

blad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I currently take Adderall and Xanax together. I was diagnosed with ADD about 10 years ago and am in my late thirties. I take 2 20 mg Adderall and 2-3 1 mg Xanax a day. I started off on the SSRI's-prozac, Wellbutrin. Eventually worked myself up to the more "effective meds". Also tried Dexedrine, Ritalin, Ativan,. Finally gpt the doc to give me Xanax. Started off on .5's 2-3 and worked myself up to 1mg /4x daily. You have to prove yourself not to abuse, or try to get refills early, etc. Once trust is gained, you will be allowed to try some of the stronger meds. I also take atenolol -30mg 1 x daily because of elevated BP. Seems to be the best combination for me, but everyone tolerates different medications differently. Hope this was helpful.

12. Graduisic

Graduisic Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I took 40mg adderall instant release about 5 hours ago (I do not take it regularly).

*** 5:10AM: took 2MG xanax and 20mg cyclobenzaprine (flexeril; a skeletal muscle relaxant). both are prescribed to him, but this is x4 his prescribed dose of xanax and x2 his prescribed dose of flexeril. smoked a joint to help relax as well. body is still "jittery" from the adderall; can't stop shaking his leg. mind is very active and lucid, but as swim types this he tends to freeze mid-sentence because his mind goes off on tangents and seems to get lost in his own thoughts. the thoughts are relatively incoherent; a thousand voices chattering over the sound of music he is creating at that very moment. in an excellent state of mind for meditation and writing music. going to spend a little time floating in this space.

Current Physical state:
    -Nervous habits still being exascervated by the adderall
    -Pupils slightly dilated
    -Heart rate approx. 120 bpm and falling
    -Sensory perception seems to be ok. sense of smell somewhat improved
    -Dry-mouth from marijuana, adderall, and his anti-depressant. always drinking a glass of water. urinating about as frequently as one would being drunk.

**5:28AM: took one more .5mg xanax

**6:10AM: still very awake and alert. don't know if sleep is possible. spent some time getting lost in playing the piano and guitar and had a greater sense of control over turning the music in his head into something audiable. it was a total moment of beauty, then swim realized the sun is rising and figures once he lays his head on his pillow, out he goes.

13. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am currently prescribed 60mg of Adderall a day and 4mg of Klonopin a day. I use them together and they're quite synergistic if its a combination you can benefit from. I use other benzos as well, mostly xanax, along with Adderall as well. He finds it calms him down after taking a lot for studying or "normalizes" how he feels after pulling an all nighter using Adderall to cram. I wouldn't recommend taking a benzo close to an exam (if you're using the Adderall for studying) though because of the short-term memory loss associated with them. Spend all night studying and then take a "forget everything" pill isn't exactly a great combination. Other than that though I find that all benzos synergize well with Adderall, either during a trip or after.

14. hoodabudda

hoodabudda Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    what did swigf say to get that combo? does You take the klonopin at night or like as needed?I am on 40mg adderall and 10mg ambien at night but has had anxiety since stopping his adderall and getting some klono's would be awesome.

15. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM originally saw a psych near his university in order to treat his ADHD, and as those sessions progressed him and his psych began to believe he might have general anxiety disorder or panic disorder. However he moved to NYC for the summer for an internship and saw a psych there who continued his adderall dosage and decided to treat the anxiety with klonopin.

16. hoodabudda

hoodabudda Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    lucky