Adderall as Prescribed

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by kemistudent, Mar 29, 2006.

1. kemistudent

kemistudent Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    For some time now I have been prescribed Adderall. I would take it when I need to concentrate on getting a lot of work done that I put on the back burner.

I am supposed to take it on a daily basis. I have not been doing that. Instead, I have been taking it once or twice a week, sometimes as much as 90mg XR at a time. This obviously keeps me awake for two to three days at a time.

While watching a movie today, called "Thumbsucker" which deals with ADHD made me think about what this drug could do for me if it were taken as prescribed.

Is there anyone here that takes Adderall as prescribed?

If so, what has done for you? Does it keep you awake? Does the crash on it occur on a daily basis once you have ben on it for a while? How long does it take for that crash to go away?

When taking Adderall as I have been, I become very depressed the days that follow it's use. I need to straighten out my emotional rollercoaster and wonder if that would happen if I was using the drug on a daily basis, rather than occasionally.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide.

Kemi

2. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    I dont know a hell of alot about ADHD or adderall Kemi, but i do know that you have been really depressed lately. I would suggest you take your medication as prescribed though. Why arent you taking it as prescribed to begin with? I googled a bit about adhd and depression and this seems to be what you are going through.http://www.add-adhd-help-center.com/Depression/depression.htm . Do some googling of your own and talk more to your doctor, cause man you gotta get out of this funk you been going through. all the best. cheers.

3. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thanks MotorHead, I don't want to list all the BS that I am dealing with, relationship shit, etc. If I would, someone would just come along and say quit your bitching, life is so much harder for me, or for him, or them.

I am pretty sure that after taking adderall in a abusive sense, it leads to a few days of total depression. That is why I am going to start (as of today) taking just 1 every morning. I am hoping that might help balance things out up stairs.

As of lately, I don't get any work done unless I take adderall, and when I do, I take more than I should. I do however get a massive amount of work done and I am very prodictive. When I think of a task when I am not taking it, it seems to boring, and I am so lazy that I just want to sleep.

I am tying to turn things around, today is a good start, however I must say, I feel like taking another pill. That is the addictive personality in me coming out. I have to fight this and just accept that fact that the medication is only meant to work for 12 hours, or so they say.

I feel like 2 pills a day would be good, once in the AM. then once 8 hours later, but I don't think my doctor will want to hear that, as I don't believe Adderall XR (30mg) is prescribed like that.

I would really like to hear from some people that do take it as prescribed, but maybe this is not the board to find those people. lol, no offence guys. =P

4. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    My son takes Adderall as prescribed, 2-30mg XR in the morning with a lite meal. In the last couple of months his grades has improved greatly, he does not take them on weekends. This is mostly for catching up on his sleep and eating. He averages 4-6 hrs sleep a night. His depression is not bad, me and his doc keep a close eye on that issue. Hopes this help Kemistudent.

5. glitterfly

glitterfly Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am also prescribed adderall but has never really taken in "as prescribed" per say for more than a week or two. but she can say that the come-down and depression that followed each day (during the normal dosage period) were less intense than those that occur after a binge. I have taken ritalin "normally" for long periods of time, and the yucky feeling is definitely a lot milder when the drug is taken regularly.
    swim herself has also been thinking about taking the adderall as prescribed, maybe she'll give it a whirl. let us know how it goes for swiy!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  6. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Wow, I didn't realize that it was approved to be taken in that high of a dosage. I wonder if I should mention something to my doctor. Maybe I can see if it is ok to take it twice a day, at different time periods.

I like the idea of taking the weekends off. That is probably good for his body and when monday rolls around it gives him a little extra boost. I see my doc in a few days so I will be talking to him about that, and changing my klonopin to Xanax, as klonopin takes to long to work, and once it does it last much too long as this causes me to oversleep and occasionally neglect my responsibilities (which is why sometimes I opt to not sleep and just take a few adderall so I don't miss important obligations, like my education that I am paying way too much for) :)

Thanks Hipps!

7. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Talk to son doctor about the Xanax, but get this, he said Xanax is too easy to abuse. He prescribed some dangerous anti-depressant,(trandoz), which turn son into zombie. He quit taking them on his, saying he did not like the after-effects. So now, he plays his PC games until he gets tired, usually around two in the morning.

8. kemistudent

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes, I have been told that my doc too, too easy to abuse.. thats why he put me on klonopin. I will remind him that adderall is much easier to abuse, and he put me on that and for the past few days I have been doing good with it, once a day.

The comedown isn't that bad, and hopefully today it will hardly be noticed.

It's funny how doctors think. Sure, we wont trust ya with something that can be abused, BUT! We will prescribe you SSRI's that will physically addict you!

9. Shwags

Shwags Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am perscribed adderal, 20 mg a day, and I usually take it as perscribed but sometimes double up and do 40mg for a long day of work or class but never more then that, taking 90 mg of XR and being awake for several days, why would u want to do that??? Get rid of your tolerance and then take it as perscribed unless u need to do more, but never do more then 60 mg

10. hyperlite

hyperlite Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm prescribed Adderall IR, 20mg 2x a Day....I also take Stacker 3 to help potentiate it alittle....

I prefer to cycle it, 12-15 weeks on/4 weeks off.....I find that this helps a lot with tolerance and mental sanity. It's goes right along with my school schedule too.....

Personally I think the XR's are shit.......There's more abuse potentional with the IR's, but it's nothing a little responsibility/moderation can't handle.....I've seen some people get out of control with it though.

11. Expert

Expert Newbie

Reputation Points:
    60 y/o from U.S.A.
    I was prescribed Ritalin as an ADHD kid, it was a miracle drug for me, then we moved and no more was prescribed until I was an adult. Now I am on Adderall and experience no "come down" effect, just makes getting things done MUCH easier!! Try it as prescribed, if it is right for you it should quickly prove itself helpful.. Let us know...

12. Deenihle

Deenihle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

13. falcor

falcor Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Yes, what your doing is dangerous and you should try to reign it in; Is taking it every day like your prescribed the real solution? No. I abused it often in my youth when prescribed; but it wasn't till i tried taking it every day like the doctor suggested that I became dependent. Strong stimulants are not an everyday solution. They should be used sparingly and with caution. Some doctors don't care if they create addicts.

And yes, the rollercoaster would plane out so to speak; but it would likely just allow you to develop dependence. True dependence is addiction; and that's a place you don't want to visit.

Good Luck Friend

14. staples

staples Made with real human! Gold Member Supporter

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Seen the movie (weird role for Keanu Reeves), but it's important to differentiate from entertainment whose story line heavily involves medicine, and facts about medical treatments.

Where do you think the particular regimen came from that you were prescribed to follow? Thin air? Of course it's best to take medicine as prescribed. Sometimes exigent circumstances might make it appropriate to deviate (not sure how this could end up being the case with Adderall, though), but the physician (or a physician familiar with your case, or an unfamilair, but qualified physician) should be notified as soon as possible so that he can advise (if necessary). I'm being very generic here and this may or may not apply to any individual situation--I'm going out on a limb and assuming other readers can extrapolate and apply this information in a meaningful way (god forbid that they have to).

15. Zumi67

Zumi67 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Even though the OP is 9 years old, got the urge to comment anyways. "As prescribed" can really mean two things:

1. Taking no more than your prescribed dose at a time, when you do take it.
    2. Taking every prescribed dose of your medication, with no breaks.

I definitely practice number 1, taking no more than my prescribed dose at a time, but I don't follow number 2 because I do take med breaks. I think it is best to use Adderall no more than 6 days a week, thus allowing yourself at least one day off per week to help with tolerance, and to remind yourself what life is like without medication. A longer break every once in a while can be helpful too. This can allow you to stay on a lower dose, and I would imagine can help stave off dependence. I don't find Adderall to be addictive, but obviously it can be.

Taken in this manner, Adderall helps my ADHD and keeps me awake, while at the same time not making me feel like I'm tweaking out/overstimulated. That's basically the trade off: take it as prescribed, and you lose the strong stimulant effects, but still get the extra focus.

16. AmphetamineWeedAlcohol

AmphetamineWeedAlcohol Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    First off i can say when i got my prescription i was in love with how it made me feel in general. I actually did take mine on a daily basis but i started my medication during depression so its gone down hill from there. It made me feel happier then i was before and i couldn't stand not being on it because not feeling that happiness made me more depressed so obviously i started abusing it, telling my doctor it wasn't working enough and ended up getting 60 20mg ir pills every month which of course is way way way more than i need but i was abusing the fuck out of it. i suggest never even trying to use it recreationally for it might cause an addiction ( i am living evidence of such ). I have noticed that when i do use my adderal it gives me more energy and social skills such as talking a lot to anyone and i have noticed that on days that i wait until the afternoon to use it i still feel some effects even though i am not on it at those moments. So yes from my experience i do believe if you take it as prescribed that it will most definitely have a good outcome in the long run after you believe that you do not need it anymore. As for taking 90mg of xr and staying up for multiple nights i strongly have hard time understanding how that is possible. ir adderall takes about 15 minutes to take affect once you take it, unless you have eaten right before taking it then it will take affect about 30 minutes after you take it and it lasts about 8 hours and then after the 8 you have about 15 to 30 minutes of a not-so-noticeable come down which just makes you realise whoa ok its warn off. XR capsuls take about 30 minutes to hit you after you have taken them and about 45 minutes if you have eaten right before, hence the abbriviated word Extended Release. and those last about 10 or so hours maybe 11 if you take enough. i really dont see how it couldve kept you up multiple night since the only thing that taking multiple pills at a time does is increase the power of the pill and keep the duration. speaking from experience and i highly do not recommend this but i snort my adderal cause it gives me a hype and excited feeling as if i was happy as hell doing whatever comes across my face and i used to just snort a 20mg pill whenever i felt like but recently i have been going thru some things in my life and made the addictive decision to start snorting a shit ton more to cope and cover up the depression. i currently snort 2 20mg pills, 40mg line, before i start doing something active in my day such as if i needed to do something that requires leaving the house and it doesnt extend the length of the pill it just gives a shit ton of extra power and makes me even more hype and excited to do whatever. i suggest highly that you never try it because of a couple things other than legal reasons. first the pain is unbelievably unbareable. snorting 10mg lines isnt too bad at all with the pain but when you do it too much you build up a tollerance real real fast. 20mg lines at first were incredibly painful but i could deal with it. and now im snorting a casual 40mg line which might i say if it is done without any pain preparation ( numbing inside of the nose with an ice cube, and using cold and cough throat spray which nubs your throat so the powder doesnt fuck your throat up. ) it is painful as all hell. believe me on that its terrible i have also gone to the dumbass point of snorting a line of 60mg and then a line of 40mg one right after the other. i did that with no pain preparation and begged my friends to take me to the ER cause i couldnt take the mind blowing pain. so yes Snorting can lead to addiction and addiction leads to dumb decisions and dumb decisions lead to you on your knees in your friends house with water streaming down your face uncontrollably, not from crying but because snorting adderall makes your eyes water like no ones business, begging him to take the pain away before you pass out from it. ( Which might i add, a half hour after that pain went away.. i will never feel the joy and hype and excitement that came rushing to me afterwards in a million years, most definitely by far the best feeling i have ever felt in my entire life, BUT realise that it came with the most pain i will most likely ever feel in my life.) So al in all.. find your dosage that works for you, take it exactly as prescribed and never stray away from it. taking breaks is perfectly fine and also recommended for reasons such as tollerance. But if there is one thing i want you to take away from this book of a reply, i highly recommend taking magnesium suppliment pills once a day to help keep your tollerance down. For those who actually read all of these black an white squiggles im very impressed and you can probably tell that i abused the fuck out of my adderall before writing all this cause anyone who has ever abused it knows that you can talk, text, and type fucking harry potter books when you snort it. but again highly highly recommend staying away from it. Thank you and Godbless Newfoundland. Jk im from the US. :)

17. ropeadope

ropeadope Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    It's really important to take it as prescribed. Avoid chasing the euphoria/rush/wakefullness you get from taking it every several days or binge use. This is a downward spiral my friend! Trust me from experience, you don't want your life to be a rollercoaster between euphoria and deep depression. Let the adderall do it's work in the background YOU can handle the rest!!!

18. littlesmg88

littlesmg88 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I've taken mine more than prescribed for many years simply because they lowered my dosage and it didn't work- and now it's simply because my adderall only lasts me max 5 hours. I can't get a handle on my self control. I wish I could. I'm tired of running out 2 weeks early. Right now I only have 3 pills left and I'm so stressed out.