Adderall Tolerance

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by t3h_1337, Feb 1, 2005.

1. t3h_1337

t3h_1337 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have noticed that after about 3 weeks of taking 10 mg of Adderall XR once in the morning that it is starting to lose its effects. The appetite supression has gone away and I no longer feel the same way that I did when I first started taking it.

I don't want to increase my dosage because I know that if I keep doing this it will lead to addiction and dependence. I wouldn't mind stopping Adderall for a little bit if it meant getting rid of my tolerance to its "side effects".

Is it possible to get rid of this tolerance, and how long should it take to get rid of it if I have been taking 10 mg of Adderall XR (10 mg of Adderal XR = 20 mg of regular Adderall, I think) a day for three weeks?

2. Patrick131

Patrick131 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i would estimate about one week of not taking it before the originaleffects return. it could be longer depending on yourweight and other lifestylefactors but from my experience that seems about right.if you take 20 mg first thing in the morning(or 10 of xr) and you are up the entire day until that night, and if you're eating a diet with the right amount of calories for your weight, then it should be fairly easy for your body to return to its normal functioning level. i say this because i took a lot more than that at first when i got the Rx but then i started to abuse so then i only took them during mid terms and finals.

i am only estimating for you depending on what i remember from my personal experience... but i can say that tolerance to amphetamines builds extremely quick, that is why they have such a high potential for abuse as you probably know.

3. t3h_1337

t3h_1337 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Maybe if I provde you with a little more personal info you could estimate what would be the best cycle for me to be on?

I am male, 6'0'', and weight 145 pounds (I said 125 in another post, it was a typo, and this forums don't let you edit). I eat about 4500 calories a day and exercise 6 days a week.

What cycle would you suggest? I want to feel the initial effects of Adderall XR as many days in a year as possible. For example, should I do 10 mg of XR for 3 weeks, then stop for 1 week, take it for 3 weeks, and so on? Based on your personal experience what would be the best cycle for me?

4. Nadia Snow

Nadia Snow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    omg you eat 4,500 calories a day thats alittle much, dont you think?

irecommend youtake adderall on an empty stomach

vitamin C lowers the absorption of adderall! (found in fruit juices, fruits, vitamin supplements, etc read the labels)

caffeine and baking soda increases the absorption/effectiveness of adderall

5. t3h_1337

t3h_1337 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I exercise a lot and there is nothing wrong with eating 4500 calories a day as long as I am not fat.

So I should take the Adderall XR as soon as I wake up? Get dressed and ready, then maybe 20 minutes after taking the Adderall can I have fruit with Vitamin C in it without affecting the absorption rate?

6. Patrick131

Patrick131 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i really can't say what would be exactly right for you specifically. maybethe best thing to do would be to first evaluate why and when you absolutely need it in the first place. are you Add or Adhd? or do you take it for a physiologicalreasonsuch as weight regulation? do you really need it everyday? if you do that is fine but generally speaking each day that you take it is another day that your body is becoming moretolerant to it. i know that you said earlier in your post thatyou don't want to increase your dose... you may find that you'll have to eventaully if you want to continue to take it every day. although i don't want to encourageyou to take more.i am 5-9 and 180 and i don't have a lot of body fat as i work out a lotas you said and i have a veryfast metabolism.i was taking 30 mg every day. i built up a tolerance very fast.. in what seemed like one week. that is why i cut it to mid-term and finals and a few days in between those periods.

in your first post you mentioned that you wouldn't mind stopping if you could get rid of its "side effects". i'm just curious.. is it just the tolerance thing? or are you having other un-desirable side effects? i'm no expert and not trying to be but i will say that adderall, like any amphetamine, is powerful and it is very easy to build up a tolerance. it's also very addictive as you probably know. i got carried away with it and i would hate to see that happen to you too. on the other hand, the more days that you can go without taking it is all the more that it is going to affect you when you do take it. that is why i was saying to maybe save it for when you really need it. otherwise that 10 mg addie in the morning will be the same as swallowing a sugar pill. it's not going to do much.

just play around with it and use a little trial and error. try taking a 4 day break and then pop one on the fifth. if you aren't satisfied with that then bump it up to a week and then resume. whatever you do talk to your Doc before you increase you dosage. he may even be expecting you to ask soon because 10mg a day isn't that much. good luck. Patrick

7. olie

olie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Of course you will build a tolerance, however, if you are taking more
    than 30 or so milligrams a day...well, that's probably asking for
    trouble. My doc says he's never prescribed anyone more than 30. Keep in
    mind, this is for responsible and 'medicinal' use. Be careful drinking
    caffeine with adderal. I can do it if I only drink a cup or two of
    coffee or tea, but I over did it once with the coffee and the side
    effects from the two were horrible.

8. slasher638

slasher638 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was recenty switched form contera to addrea xl and with the adderal i have notice a torrerance like in i miss a day the next day it would be stronger. quick ? does anybody know the toxicity of adderall mg/kg????

9. Garuccio

Garuccio Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The more often you do addy the longer the tolerance will last. My friend has never been prescribed it, but he buys it sometimes and only does it once a week, or everyother week. He will do 20~60mg XR. He doesn't think he has a tolerance, but last week he took 20 one day and 20 the next day, but it felt like much less. He has a question, does addy really have a tolerance that builds up to a noticeable amount overnight? He can see it if he took perhaps 60mg and 20mg the next day, but he isn't quite sure if its tolerance, or he was just expecting it so it was sort of a placebo.

10. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    If You is concerned about tolerance, truthfully, through SWIM's experience, little suggestions such as what to eat and in what circumstances to take it are a quick fix to you's problem without really 'fixing' anything at all.

I think that using it minimally and taking breaks is the only way to avoid the diminishing effects of adderall. SWIM's problem was her addictive personality and desire to feel that adderall feeling everyday... don't chase the high.

11. LucidNightmare

LucidNightmare Newbie

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from U.S.A.
    I'm prescribed 20mg of adderall XR once per day. I usually take 40mg because it seem to help me focus much better, but I'm probably just to impatient when I try taking 20mg. I notice though that if I stop taking them for about 2 weeks or so, minding you I'll only take it for about 2 weeks daily, when I start taking them again I don't notice much of a tolerance to it.

12. King_k

King_k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend who tried drinking caffeine with the Adderall says it doesn't work as well, and lowers the efficacy of the Adderall. Such as drinking 1 liter or so of Pepsi, you might think it increases addearll and synergistic with it, but my friend said the caffeine lowers the absorption of the Adderall -- is this true?

13. chausembourg

chausembourg Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sorry to keep this old thread going but I'd like to chime in and say that caffeine could increase the rush sensation if you could manage to sip a cup of strong coffee throughout the day. Experienced this on Ritalin ER and got tired of it real quick. Take 2 doses of 10mg adderall regularly now and skipping days whenever I really just want to chill out or undergoing dental exams and don't want to feel restless. :)

Personally, I don't drink coffee anymore with stimulants, though I am sure you can find many other users' experiences with caffeine and other stimulants with a quick search on the forums.

14. Flying Mind

Flying Mind Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from sao_tome_and_principe
    Look into "NDMA antagonist".

Also take chelated magnesium supplement.

Personally I'm so burnt out from years of dexedrine I managed to get a doctor to prescribe me an MAOI (Nardil) with my IR Adderall

Tags: