Addiction - Addicted to DXM

Discussion in 'DXM' started by DxCore, Apr 29, 2006.

1. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been using DXM for about a 2 months on and off weekly. He recently has decided to kick the habbit and become clean of everything. Although their is many unknowns of this drug some say the user can become mentally addicted and SWIM personally feels he is.

He feels un-bareably depressed and very detached. He knows he wants to be clean and just needs to know if this is going to go away. He doesnt know if he should seek anti depressants or some medication. Seeing that using pills to cure a pill problem.

I am just looking for some help and support.

thanks.
    DxCore.

1. 4/5,
      good thread. good food for thought. hope you find the relief you're looking for.
      May 2, 2006
  2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    I had the same problem a few years back, after using bi-weekly to weekly for two years. The depression and feeling of derealization do go away, just give it a few weeks, it gets slightly better day by day, and when it clears up, its a pretty amazing feeling. so You shouldnt worry, just give it more time, no antidepressants should be needed.

3. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks alot..

I have felt like crap. Its now been almost a week since he's done any substance. That sure is good news and he's grateful for you quick response.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    it can be a little rough but hang in there, it'll be worth it! just try to stay away from the cough med aisles at the grocery store and you should have no problem. You may feel like crap now, but it does get better, and many people swim knows who used alot of dxm can attest to this.

1. 4/5,
      Good advice. Thanks for helping people cope with addictions.
      May 2, 2006
  5. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    You have no idea how great is is to hear that. I'm in a similar place as SWIDxCore and I'm also wondering if the dissociative and generally "dumb" feelings normally come on really strong when you smoke pot?

6. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    SWIM always got a relapse of the dissociative symptoms when he smoked pot while trying to quit dxm, so I would guess its best to stay away from that too while trying to quit, it should speed up the recovery process.

7. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM also agrees he said, he smoked pot and got probably one of the best visuals ever but was so paranoid and stressed out over personal problems he hated it.

I agree if your trying to quit one substance. Its best to stay off of all substances untill your clean. Or else you might just be replacing one for another.

P.s SWIM wonders if anyone else gets headaches He's wondering if its any sort of brain damage or just allergies *heh*

8. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    If You is getting headaches, the good news is that its probably not from permanent brain damage. Most of the changes brought about from DXM use seem to be reversible over time, although I amnt sure about pot, having never been a long-term user himself (myelf?) Could be a result of not using drugs, or it could be allergies. If they don't abate in a few days or after the use of (a sub-recreational) dose of antihistamines, maybe You should consider seeing a doctor? However its probably not from any permanent changes.

9. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, I am pretty sure its allergies and he wasnt really that worried just was wondering.

10. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    good to hear that You is probably just having a case of the allergies. it can definitely be tough to sort out drug withdrawal from other health issues (as mild as allergies can be, they'd still fall under this category!) but hopefully You is seeing an improvement, however slight. be patient and give it time. PM me if you want any more help on this topic!

11. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My DXM days are over.

Its sad to say that I feel he has lost all benificial effects from using DXM. He states that 2 nights ago he used 450mg of DXM and then redosed 2 hours later with 30mg. There was no visuals and the trip, he claims had almost ill effects and was just a huge "robotic" drunken-ness.

Do you think I have lost the good effects of DXM, or built a tolerance.

Maybe even it was because SWIM's mindset was off.

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I have had enough DXM for a good, long time. DXM seems to have a limit regards how many times it will work. Once this limit is reached, it is pointless to continue. Perhaps if SWIM were to take extreme doses it would work. But while the body has an extreme tolerance for the psychic effects, it does not have a tolerance for the toxic effects. Read: It could easily kill SWIM.

Tell SWIM to find a new hobby. Be glad that I had the experiences without burning his brains out in the process. I should remember that a good definition of insanity is to continue to repeat an action that did not work to start with - over and over again.

13. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I found that the same thing has happened to her. Still though, 450mg isn't that high of a dose. I would usually use 600mg because that seemed to be her sweet spot. Also, is You drinking syrup, taking cough gels or what? I found that the syrup lost potency more quickly most likely because the body doesn't want all that gunk and gets rid of it quickly without really absorbing the dxm. When she switched meds, the old high came back for awhile until her tolerance to that built also. I don't know how regularly You is using, but it'll lose it's magic quickly if one is using it too often. If that's not the case and You is using more responsibly then I'd advise that next time You up the dose to 600mg and see what happens. Unless, of course, You is experiencing toxic effects at 450 then you definately don't want to increase those. If You ingests 600 mg and there's still no visuals then You has probably reached the trip limit as I believe I has. It takes a very long time for tolerance to go back down...I've heard that it takes years. I am hoping that she can get some of the magic back after a year. Also, after swim lost the visuals with the cough gels, she tried zicam cough mist and for one night she got the great visuals back. Then they went away again. I think that much of the time the body gains a tolerance to the method of ingestion as much as it gains the tolerance to the dxm itself.

14. Aaron

Aaron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's DXM days are over as well. That seems to be the way it goes, people do it for awhile and then get sick of the trip. It was a nice run, SWIM learned a few things and had alot of fun. What really did it was seeing all the empty bottles of robo-gels that had managed to get lost in his room when I started getting ready to move again.

It's time to move on, stick with marijuana for awhile until I am ready to delve into the mind again.

15. DxCore

DxCore Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Completely agreed.

SWIM learned alot from using DXM. He tells me He doesnt regret it at all. And beWilderment I feel he was very responsible when using and didnt really feel "toxic" effects. But his sweet spot was at 450mg for the longest time. Now as the summer approaches, he feels less and less need to dive into the depths of his cerebral cortex.

16. DXMBunny

DXMBunny Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well swim i know.. moved to 350mg for awhile... then moved up to 450mg then to 600mg... he enjoyed all those sweet spots... then after a long time of 600's... he did redosing and other things to help... and just did different ranges...

Swim highly recommends after a short or long time off... if u have any tolerance its best to take it more towards bed... the more tired u are the more chance u have of great mental visuals and experience... darkness is a great help... and being tired really helps your mind give in and not be fully awake to fight all of it out...

17. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Some users report that there is a limited amount of times one can take DXM. Like MDMA, it can "lose the magic" so to speak. If it just is not doing the trick anymore, you should not continue using it for a very long time.

Maybe the magic will return, but you will need to take a long break in order for this to happen.