Addiction? I don’t think so...

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by Carbine, May 21, 2005.

1. Carbine

Carbine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A few months ago I started using heroin, after researching the potential risks. I was careless, and honestly expected to become addicted.

Anyway, when I fell out with my group i found i had no connections whatsoever in the scene. I expected to crave the stuff, have withdrawals etc but instead - NOTHING. Weird.

I have heard that a very small number of people have body chemistry that doesn't allow them to become physically addicted to heroin - anyone know if this is true? Otherwise, is it possible that I was taking something low-grade with low potential for addiction? (I'm in Melbourne, Australia).

Right now, I miss it heaps, but only in an emotional sense...physically, it's like nothing has changed.

If someone could shed some light, I'd appreciate it...

2. bogumil

bogumil Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    dude, I have this too with other opies. I would drink poppy tea every day and aditionally take 400mg codeine everyday (poppy tea contains about 150mg morphine and as much codeine in the amounts I would drink it). So I took 150mg morph and 550 codi a day for1 year. I stopped from one day to another because I ran out of money. I had a little back pain for 1 evening and was annoyed because I had nothing that was all. No shaking, now withdrawal.

Its weird, I agree. Someone, who knows something about that? I dont doubt at all that opies are addicting physical and mental but i really never had wds.

did ya ever check for studies on that?Edited by: bogumil

3. moldie

moldie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sometimes it can take a while, and a much larger habit than you'd expect before any physical withdrawal symptoms manifest themselves. That part of the addiction, for me anyway, has been the mildest. I find the pschological addiction to be the biggest problem, I just can't find myself socializing without dope. You're not going to do dope for a few months and then quit, having no knowledge of what dopesickness is, and expect to get dopesick. You'll get dopesick in between doses while you're using if you're going to get sick when you quit.

4. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Back when I was a teenager he did lots of H. Those first few months are the golden time though. You can walk away if you are lucky with relatively little pain. However what followed after was a very intense addiction where all the bad things happened intenselyupon wd, freezing, sweating, craving, pants full of, well you get the picture. I had stopped for a year, and after only a couple of days onfelt the sickness. Once the real sickness crawls into you it's like your body remembers. He misses it still sometimes, but hey anything good that you can't have you want. The moral of the story is be careful, H is one sneaky little bugger.

5. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I get fiend fits (similar to those I have without reefer) but thats it. it only happens when Ive been spoiling myself (a month or two of everyday usage), I can remember as a younger man than I am now, crawling around on my floor looking for chunks of dried brown opium, again, fiend behavior, but Ive never had a single physical withdrawl.

I should point out I am not an IV user.Edited by: allyourbase

6. moldie

moldie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My addiction is mostly that of the fiendish nature. I'm almost immune to physical addiction unless I seriously overdo my use for a while. However my brain will force me to get dope once a week or so, and I mean force. I will not go a week without dope. It's hardwired into my brain like sex.

7. Dickon

Dickon Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Addiction? I don’t think so...

Maybe....

I think the largest time lags I've seen for getting a first habit are
    3 months daily use - i.v.
    6 months daily use - s.c.
    12 months daily use - oral.

Opium et. al have a certain leniency, but it will come back and bite you in the arse. Trust me - none of you are exempt. Or let me say in 20 years of opiate use (with only 3 1/2 off for good behaviour!) I've never met anyone who's used for let's say 1 and a half times as long as the above figures, and not got a habit. The guy posting about the poppy tea is either making his poppy tea incredibly well (and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's using Papaver Somniferum), but trust me a whole saucepan of Opium poppy-heads boiled down contained at most 40-60mg morphine by my subjective reckoning, or has got his facts wrong. One possible other answer is that Codeine is metabolized very differently by different people and a small percentage do not convert codeine into morphine. So let's assume you are using the wrong poppies in your tea, and you're a poor codeine metabolizer you could simply not be getting anything from the stuff. This seems deeply implausable because why would anyone repeat the experiment with such insistence unless it caused some effect? But 1 year might be the outer limit of your luck!

My advice to all of you who think you are exempt (except possibly codeine users) is that you are just as much exempt from the law of gravity. And one other thing, it's more to do with length of use than amount of use, although pushing up tolerance is not going to delay the process. I got my first habit taking 40mg morphine orally a day. I managed to quit fairly painlessly after about a year (maybe more) of use for a few months before beginning an 8-9 year stretch, that had me using upwards of 200mg methadone a day by the end. I didn't stop for more than a couple of days once I started after the break. So be very, very careful.

Get out now. Count yourself lucky. DO NOT look back. Now all you young un's will laugh at an old fart like me and say, this will never happen to me, but all old farts like me will remember when they said it would never happen to me! Seriously, please, please, please, head my words, and the words of a thousand others who failed to get out. That beautiful sweet kind soft enigmatic enticing opiate woman will make you his bitch, turn you over, reveal his until now hidden 12" manhood, and ream you up the arse for years, laughing as you scream like a piggy. I don't think I can make myself any clearer, and I don't think one person's going to listen to me, but it's worth a try.

[praying one soul with hear his suspiria de profundis] Warm fluffies and toasted muffins to all

Dr D

8. ruca

ruca Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from portugal
    Re: Addiction? I don’t think so...

hi!swim needs help guys,lets say that in the last couple months he abused quite bad on codeine,lets say some real high doses daily,some periods taking long periods others more spaced..and well,now he on nothing and feeling really really shitty,oppression on the chest stomach,kinda sweating all day,guys please,is swim withdrawing cod,should he go on cold turkey or what should he do to minimise his feeling and to get it clean again,please help swim guys,he s just a small idiot..

thank u all