Experiences - Adrafinil - First Time

Discussion in 'Nootropics' started by Alza 36, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Alza 36

Alza 36 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    So I received my Adrafinil in the mail today. If you are unaware of what Adrafinil is, it is the basic structure of Modafinil, but with a methyl group added. Because of this, Adrafinil is metabolized into Modafinil in your liver, but may cause an increase in liver enzymes if used consecutively for at least 2 months. If you plan on using Adrafinil on a regular basis, consult your doctor every so often, and request a Liver Enzyme Blood Test. If the results come back as anything but normal, discontinue use immediately and seek treatment.

Basics

Weight: ~175lbs. (or about 80kg)
    Height: 6'3 (about 190.5 cm)
    Health Issues: Chronic Fatigue, otherwise optimal

Drug Info

Amount Ordered: 20 grams
    Amount Taken (First Dose): ~50mg

Uses: Because Adrafinil is not very popular in the US (I believe it is sold under the brand-name Olmifon in parts of Europe and Noofon in Russia), there is little to no known medical use of Adrafinil. However, because its active metabolite, Modafinil, is widely used in the US and Europe as a wakefulness agent, data pertaining to Adrafinil most likely includes the effects of Modafinil. It s also used as a nootropic; it helps concentration and motivation, and thus, likely improves performance.

Visual Description: Adrafinil (from my source) appears to be a "chunky" white powder. My bag formed large rocks (about 6g or so) of Adrafinil.

Scent Description: Adrafinil (from my source) smelled extremely odd. The first thing that came to my mind was that the lab hadn't been so accurate on its purity; it smelled like ammonia and sulfur. From my research, however, this is completely normal. Those who take Modafinil often account the drug's awful taste, and influence it has on your body. My mouth was tasting sulfur for about an hour after dosing. That effect had subsided. It also has influence on the smell of sweat and urine. The reason for this being the sulfur atom in the Adrafinil (and Modafinil) molecule.

Experience

I had measured out about 50mg of Adrafinil on my digital scale. The typical dose is 100mg, but I wanted to play it safe and possibly test for adverse reactions (allergies, etc). This probably could've been done in a safer way, maybe about 10mg or so, but my curiosity took over. About 30 minutes after dosing, I began to feel the onset; I felt maybe a little bit heavier, my eyes were open a little more, I felt as though I was obligated to pay attention to uninteresting things. 90 minutes into the experience, I began feeling what I believe its full effects. I had an increased awareness of what was going on around me, I felt very optimistic about everything, and I had almost God-like powers to think and concentrate. I felt very much awake. This was a blessing, because I battle with chronic fatigue every day and usually sleep more than 12 hours per day. This effect was nothing like an Amphetamine; I was not anxious, my heartbeat was normal, and my appetite was not disrupted. There was also some euphoria behind it, which leads me to believe that this drug has dopaminergic effects. It is now six hours after the dose, and I am still feeling the plateau of this drug. Perhaps a slight comedown, but nothing like the 9/11-style crash of Amphetamines.

Consider

• Do research. Examine other posts addressing Modafinil and Adrafinil before using, and be sure it is right for you before you being dosing.

• You should take no more than 50mg on your first dose. You may be allergic, or you may be affected by this drug unusually. If you worry about the effectiveness of a dose that small, take into consideration that I had a great experience with it at only 50mg.

• Do not combine this drug with any other psychoactive drug until you know its full potential and how it affects you.

• If you plan on prolonged use of Adrafinil, I would advise you to seek your doctor for Liver Enzyme Blood Tests once a month after 3 months of use. This drug is hard on your liver, so you should also avoid Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Alcohol, or any other drug which may damage your liver.

2. Anamo7tram

Anamo7tram Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    how do you feel it helped your focus? were you less likely to procrastinate?

how would you compare the effects to caffeine or modafinil?

3. Alza 36

Alza 36 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The focus was unbreakable. I felt as though I had taken Amphetamine, in terms of focus. It's quite hard to explain, but it's not so much that I felt as though I were a robot; I felt as though everything was more interesting, and required attention. Now, I could choose what to pay atte4ntion to, and what not, which is excellent. While under the effects, I had not been visited by the distracting songs that roam in my head while I'm trying to do work. It's much like focusing all of your focusing power int one thing, but able to multitask. It's hard to explain. Those who have taken Amphetamines (Dextroamphetamine, Lisdexamphetamine, Methamphetamine, etc) know this feeling of elite control. The effects are still here, actually; just fading slightly. You can probably tell by how much I wrote.

There's another thing; once you start a task, you feel obligated to finish the task. You will have a craving for perfection, and will not move on without being sure of that perfection. Procrastination is also hard to explain. I suppose procrastination exists on this drug, but seemingly only when you are under that perfectionist state. It seemed to motivate me to do things I had procrastinated on in the past, but to start that task, you have to try a bit. Once you get started, you can't stop, and that perfectionist state kicks in and you actually take pleasure out of doing regular household chores.

Comparing this effect to caffeine would be like comparing heroin to codeine. Or pure ethanol to O'Doul's. Or Mercedes-Benz to Saturn. At least, to me it is. My body is far too tolerant to caffeine, even though I almost never drink it. Back before I dove into the world of researching biochemistry, I had (and still have) this problem of chronic fatigue. I would drink 6-8 cups of coffee, with little results. I began popping No-Doz (200mg caffeine tablets) like crazy to fight the fatigue. In order to even stay awake, I had to pop 600mg of caffeine, at least. So in regards to how this would effect you or someone else compared to caffeine; I wouldn't know.

As for a comparison of Adrafinil to Modafinil, they are basically the same. Adrafinil is dehydroxylated in the liver, which then yields Modafinil. The only difference between the drugs are the N-placed hydroxy group on the Adrafinil molecule. This is hard on the liver, and I suggest one to not consume for prolonged consecutive periods of 3 or more months.

FUN FACT: Adrafinil has dopamine reuptake inhibition properties! What else bears these properties? Methylphenidate (Ritalin), Cocaine, and many others. Methylphenidate inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine and dopamine, in which the latter, to a lesser extent. Cocaine has these characteristics, but also inhibits serotonin reuptake. Amphetamines, for example, agonize (activate and release) dopamine and norepinephrine. This is why Amphetamines are notorious for crashes; once the Amphetamines wear off, they leave the receptor with depleted dopamine and norepinephrine levels. Whether it be reuptake or agonism of the receptor, the main goal is more of that receptor's neurotransmitters in the neuron synapse, which is responsible for the noticed effects of dopamine and the several other neurotransmitters.

Just keep in mind: dopamine level modification can lead to addiction. Though this is unlikely, seek help if you feel as though you cannot go a day without this drug.

EDIT: Looking back on my reply there, the effects of this drug are clear. A question which would've normally yielded a maybe 3-4 sentence response instead generated paragraphs. The words just seem to flow with this drug, and I am overly impressed!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Anamo7tram

Anamo7tram Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o from U.S.A.
    did you take Adderall or Ritalin before? how related are the effects?

also, about your last paragraph, from my research Adrafinil isn't addictive and tolerance doesn't develop easily.

good thread, keep us updated.

5. Alza 36

Alza 36 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I will not confirm nor deny the use of both or either. It seems as though the effects of Adrafinil are very similar to Methylphenidate, though on a smaller scale, obviously. The attentiveness, motivation, and energy are similar to the reported effects of Methylphenidate, but the euphoric value of Adrafinil is less than Methylphenidate. I would say, based on knowledge that may or may not be my own personal, that Adderall is in a whole different league than Adrafinil, because of the crash and different "mode", for lack of a better term, of energy. It's reported that Amphetamine yields an anxious and speedy-type energy, which acts both physically and psychologically. As for Adrafinil, it provides a type of energy that is psychological, and "overlays" the physical fatigue.

There are sources which claim that Modafinil (active metabolite of Adrafinil) has effects on Dopamine Reuptake. Most of anything that raises Dopamine levels to a noticeable extent is addictive to a certain extent. Though this may not lead to physical dependence in all cases, but many do.

Sources:

Scienceblogs:
    "Primary outcomes
    were changes in dopamine D2 / D3 receptor and dopamine transporter
    availability (measured by changes in binding potential) after modafinil
    when compared with after placebo.
    "

TIME Magazine Article
    :
    "Modafinil binds to the same site on dopamine transporters as cocaine does, and one of the areas where dopamine levels then begin to climb is the nucleus accumbens — a spot researchers have come to recognize as a sort of addiction central for recreational meds."

National Center for Biotechnology Information:

"In this pilot study, modafinil blocked dopamine transporters and increased dopamine in the human brain (including the nucleus accumbens). Because drugs that increase dopamine in the nucleus accumbens have the potential for abuse, and considering the increasing use of modafinil, these results highlight the need for heightened awareness for potential abuse of and dependence on modafinil in vulnerable populations."

Wikipedia:
    "The (R)-enantiomer of modafinil has also recently been found to act as a D2 receptor partial agonist with a K of 16 nM, an intrinsic activity of 48%, and an EC50 of 120 nM, in rat striatal tissue. The (S)-enantiomer is inactive (Ki > 10,000)."

6. Shpongle22

Shpongle22 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    [QUOTE=Alza 36;1186762
    • If you plan on prolonged use of Adrafinil, I would advise you to seek your doctor for Liver Enzyme Blood Tests once a month after 3 months of use. This drug is hard on your liver, so you should also avoid Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Alcohol, or any other drug which may damage your liver.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I take Adrafinil myself approximately four times a week, with a dosage of 600mg each time, as I have problems with fatigue. I was wondering, do you think that 600mg, 4 times a week is potentially dangerous for my liver?

7. crossingtheline

crossingtheline Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I hear that Phelps bloke, that Olympic SWIMmer guy, is about to obtain Armodafinil. I know he currently Modafinil takes 200mg early AM and 200mg midday(ish), any later and he can't sleep. Tried 800mg. Dont, it's stupid. Very focused on nothing, causing anxiety.

Helped* with sever depression caused by a daily cocaine addition and the problems it obviously brought. Cocaine addition caused by an unaddressed issue. Anti-depressants did nothing (Citalopram).

*Understatement. Save my life, family and buisness.

>> Good question. Worries me too regarding Modafinil. Piss absolutely STINKS! Make me very worried/anxious about the long term effects on my liver. 400mg is my average daily dose.

Would alternating between Modafinil/Armodafinil (1) Reduce tolerance build up? (2) In anyway be of any benefit to the heath of my organs/health?

++ Interestingly being worried about my liver was a good thing. I never gave any thought to the harm the coke was doing to me long term! Simply because I couldn't see past the next line, let alone years down the "line".

Anyway. I am impressed with Modafinil so far. I take this, caffeine and nicotine. Halved my nicotine intake. Stopped other substances. Life on track.

For me, this is a short term solution to achieve an identity I never had. One whole year as an adult sober from drugs, illegal at least. Achieve stability and enjoyment out of life and then reduse and stop Mod/Arm use too.

Sorry to ramble. Really must attempt to sleep. One downside of the stuff...

Oh, anyone else using it for 18-20 hours work 6 days per week? So far I can perform well but two weeks in I need a good nights sleep... This, yet again, is not going to be that night :(

Ben

8. LifeSucceedsDeath

LifeSucceedsDeath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I really enjoyed your post Ben, I'm reading this thread while feeling a come up to the [cyber]Adrafinil I took 1.5 hours ago. 250mg. It compares very well to methylphenidate at a low dose (10-15mg no tolerance) but without that super-kick MPH has to get literally moving around and doing stuff. Instead, it's like a cleansing wave washing away the mind's daily sufferings (anxieties worries), that continues moving into a realm of wakefulness I can only explain as "Full Attention to the Now".

With pretty chronic fatigue, I have to say this feels like a godsend to my [cyber]self. It lacks the over-stimulation of amphetamines, and instead has a mellow openness with regards to choice in what you want to be doing without over-thinking or under-thinking. Euphoric in the sense that you feel great being able to experience your being with actual clarity, and the resulting effect brings a real happiness to the day.

I'm going to make the most of the day, so I'll reply back later with some more info. But overall, this is way better than caffeine, comparable to methylphenidate and derivatives but with less side-effects, and weaker than amphetamine/methamphetamine/... with none of their annoying side-effects. And hallelujah - it doesn't shrink your dink! Haha. Peace all,

-LSD

9. crossingtheline

crossingtheline Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    You're far too nice. But thank you! //(I'm British)// = poor attempt at sarcasm(ishness)

>> I'm reading this thread while feeling a come up to the [cyber]Adrafinil I took 1.5 hours ago. 250mg. It compares very well to methylphenidate ... into a realm of wakefulness I can only explain as "Full Attention to the Now".

Intriguing. I now consider myself a long term user of Modafinil. I have also tried Armodafinil too for a long(ish) period of 3 weeks with nothing else, stimulants, depressives, illegals etc. The Modafinil saved my 'life' - as in my existence within reality in terms of cash, famiy, job etc. Obviously I could survive without. Probably not succeed the same way though.

In brief and to be //brutally// honest (I'm and sorry if this alienates and perhaps disappoints you [your issue, not mine {anymore}]) but my path with drugs was to hide sexuality issues. Many illegals. Masked potential. Withdrawal depression. In a position where I must either seriously fail (existing business nearly made banrupt my drug intake/cost/paranoia [break out the small violins] usual non-sense) or actually properly succeed for the first fucking time since adulthood. Witout an SSRI (Catilipgram - 20mg @ 7am) and Modafinil (400mg - per day (1 x 200mg @ 7am + 1 x 200mg @11.30am) I don't believe for me with all my bullshit issues this would be possible.

In response though it sounds like you've found the 'combo' that works for you. Well done. From the bottom of my soul I Wish you well.

Now, from experience:

For me, Modafini works. Big time. I've done this and that that bring you up instantly and waay higer but you've so much further to fall afterwards. Modafinil is just 'better' caffine with, for me at least, the added benefit of and mind focus method.

However Armodafinil to me sucked. Alot. It was like sleeping tablets. 2 x 150mg at anytime and I could sleep. Pointless. Just had my large order legally shipped and it's Modafinifil. It's what works for me.

(sorry for rambing)

>> With pretty chronic fatigue, I have to say this feels like a godsend to my [cyber]self. It lacks the over-stimulation of amphetamines, and instead has a mellow openness with regards to choice in what you want to be doing without over-thinking or under-thinking. Euphoric in the sense that you feel great being able to experience your being with actual clarity, and the resulting effect brings a real happiness to the day.

100% agreed.

>> I'm going to make the most of the day, so I'll reply back later with some more info. But overall, this is way better than caffeine, comparable to methylphenidate and derivatives but with less side-effects, and weaker than amphetamine/methamphetamine/... with none of their annoying side-effects. And hallelujah - it doesn't shrink your dink! Haha. Peace all,

So...? Update sir/miss :)