Adrenochrome report

Discussion in 'Research Chemicals' started by genaro, Mar 29, 2006.

1. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Body weight: 67 kg

Compound used:
    D,L-Adrenochrome freebase (synthetic, 99,98% purity)
    CAS: [56-06-8]

synonyms:
    Adrenochrome (freebase)
    3-Hydroxy-1-methyl-5,6-indolinedione,
    2,3-Dihydro-3-hydroxy-1-methyl-1H-indole-5,6-dione

Note: D,L means it is a racemate, which means it is an equimolar mixture of two of enantiomers: the D-Adrenochrome and the L-Adrenochrome (also called (-)-Adrenochrome et (+)-Adrenochrome respectively)

Adrenochrome has been described as a hallucinogen or psychotomimetic and a cholinesterase inhibitor. It has also haemostatic properties (meaning that it is something that stops bleeding.

Description of the powder: a close-up of the adrenochrome crystals shows a dark red color but the powder seems just like dried blood to the naked eye, meaning some slightly orangy brown color. But if I dissolve some crystals into a few drops of water I will get a blood red to bright red solution (depending on the concentration), exactly the same color as Mercurochrome. It has a slightly metallic chemical taste which somewhat reminded me of the taste of blood but it was much more tasteless (less bitter).

Price:
    Most labs sell D,L-Adrenochrome(CAS:56-06-8) at 70 to 100euros for 250mg. But I recently found another chemical supplier selling a product named 'Adrenochrome' at 110euros for 50g, the price difference is so huge that I first though it couldn't be the same compound that other suppliers were selling, but CAS number was 56-06-8 so it was definately the same Adrenochrome. Such a price difference seems strange to me, I thought maybe it could be one of the two enantiomers (instead of the D,L form) but this wouldn't be logical as separating two enantiomers is complicated and therefore one enantiomer alone should be more expensive than the DL form, and certainly not cheaper.

Note:
    Adrenochrome is quickly oxidised and should be kept away from air, light, humidity and heat. Therefore it is kept in an airtight container which is put in the freezer.
    Even this way, it will slowly decompose so it should not be kept for too long before use.

My experimentations with Adrenochrome:

I had acquired D,L-Adrenochrome freebase (the one sold at 70euros for 250mg)

first trial: I held 100mg under my tongue for 1 minute and then swallowed. Fast onset (about 5 minutes)

second trial: I snorted 50mg. Onset: a few seconds.

third trial : I smoked 25mg (vaporised in a crack pipe). Onset is almost instant.

Note that I waited a few days between each trial.

The three trials gave me the exact same effects, which were very light and really uninteresting (I wouldn't even call it a high).

First, it's wasn't hallucinogen nor psychedelic. I had a feeling of warmth through my body, I felt a numbness in my hands and my head (possibly linked to the haemostatic effect), there was some slight sedation, and a very slight short lived euphoria (the euphoria was a slightly more pronouced when smoked, but still very short lived)
    There's also some minor visual change (no visuals, just that I would see the room slightly differently than usual, but honestly that was some really minor change, a joint of hashish would have done the same, nothing really noticeable). There might be some slight myosis too (=little pupils), not really sure.

To sum up, effects were extremely weak, absolutely not fun nor psychedelic in anyway, and short lived (I would say the slight initial euphoria is gone within 4-5 minutes, and the few strange feelings that I experience from the stuff are gone within about 1 hour (I couldn't say the exact duration as I didn't really checked my watch)
    Needless to say I was very disappointed by this uninteresting compound.

The effects I had from it were flimsy, there was a definite effect on my vision and my mental state for sure but I would definitely not call it 'hallucinogenic'.

SO, I might have wanted to try higher dosages just in case this could intensify any effects (let's say 250mg orally, 100mg snorted and 100mg vaporised), or I might have wanted to try the other adrenochrome (the one sold at 110euro/50g) just to make sure it is the same...but I didn't as I had better things to do with my money and I was pretty sure that even if this would give me some more effect, that would still be of poor recreational/spiritual interest.

Also, about possible secondary effects of adrenochrome: as it is an haemostatic compound (prevents capillary bleeding during injury) it is not impossible that excessive use would end up causing blood circulation troubles, furthermore some scientists seem to say that adrenochrome is known to cause cardiovascular troubles.

To conclude I would say that this is an uninteresting substance to my opinion, and furthermore it's possibly a dangerous one.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2006
  2. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    hmm, i prefer smoking the dried extract of the human pineal gland myself, harvested from 1000 nymphomaniac virgins.

interesting read, nontheless.

3. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    are u sure it is adrenochrome? it supposedly causes schitzophrenia... maybe it could have been adrenochrome semicarbazone(not sure if thats the exact name but something like that anyway)?

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    That sounds very similar to what Bongo experienced on adrenolutin, only without the flush of warmth.

5. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    adrenachrome semibicarbazone if memory serves... makes you wish people used a search engine for such simple tasks as finding the real name for a chemical before making a potentially wasteful post... by the way if you are going to be saying that adrenochrome causes schizophrenia then you may as well also point out the fact that in fact that is a baseless asshatted urban myth with no particular scientific data backing it whatsoever. just because it was in fear and loathing does not make it true... also i believe in fact that there have been inquisitions into the possible role of several compounds and their potential role in schizophrenia... if a direct causality were to be established between any single brain chemical and schizophrenia you can be god damn sure that it would not exist as a real disease in our society any longer because it is a very severe risk factor for an individual and anyone around them when one is schizophrenic. the whole paranoia not making sense possibly acting out violently thing seems like a definitely negative thing... one that would necessitate a quick fix of some kind... i might be behaving like an asshat myself and if in fact this urban myth is not asshatted at all and has some sort of legitimate backing please someone feel free to post this information here and may a moderator strike this post dead where it stands

(apologies for overusing the term asshat here... its kinda late... if i got carried away im sorry)

6. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    yess I'm sure it wasn't the semicarbazone (aka carbazochrome) as adrenochrome semicarbazone CAS number is 69-81-8 and adrenochrome thiosemicarbazone is 113185-69-6 and adrenochrome oxyme sesquihydrate is 6055-73-8. While the CAS number of the product I had was 54-06-8 which does correspond to "Adrenochrome"

Adrenochrome semicarbazone and thiosemicarbazone arn't hallucinogenic, "true" adrenochrome was clearly not hallucinogenic...unless "adrenochrome oxyme sesquihydrate" is the good stuff...

7. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well then it looks like we're gonna need some of this sesquihydrate stuff... sounds good... if you were skittish about psychedelic drugs making you go crazy before then take a step back... research into chemically ionduced schizophrenia has now begun.... too bad hes dead or we could ask hunter about it... too bad no one thoought of that when the time was right eh? maybe i just need a whole pineal gland to chew on... eat a handful... see what happens to me

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It was a firmly entrenched "theory" among the psychiatric community in the late 1950's - early 60's that oxidized adrenaline MIGHT be causitive for schizophrenia. While this idea was tossed in the dumpster, interest in other indolic compounds continued. And then arrived Dr. Timothy Leary at Harvard and his early research into psilocybin (another indolic molecule) - which he used on prisoners at the Concord Reformatory (now MCI-Concord) in a study to diagnose personality traits.

After the psychiatric research community gave up on indoles (and the good Doctor Leary), the next concept was taraxein - a protein complex containing copper that was isolated from the blood of schizophrenics. This theory also was abandoned. Mostly. I'm sure that out there exists a good doctor Gumblestains, Phd - who still supports the theory.

Anywho - this connection between adrenochrome and schizophrenia was what initially catapaulted the substance into prominence in medical journals back then. And into the interest of many a psychedelic pioneer.

9. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    well I made quite a few searches about adrenochrome oxime sesquihydrate (CAS: 6055-73-8) with absolutely no results...even official & legit "fine chemicals" suppliers from all around the world don't have it in their catalog (they have D,L-adrenochrome, semicarbazone and thiosemicarbazone but not the oxime sesquihydrate)... I think I am not gonna find any source for this one.

10. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    its understandable that this is a hard one to find. fairly exotic by any standards. you definitely could have it custom synthesized if you really wanted some badly enough. not a hard service to find. worth the time? maybe (probably) not.

11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Pure adrenochrome is very simple to synthesize. The main problem is keeping it. It breaks down very quickly and must be stored under vacuum preferably in liquid nitrogen temperatures. Adrenolutin is more stable and also very simple to synthesize. The 7-Iodo derivative has much the same subtle effects as it's parent compound and is much more stable.

All of these are pretty much a waste of time for those seeking a psychedelic experience though. I don't know what Hunter S. Thompson was doing in Las Vegas - but I can tell you that, beyond a doubt, it was not adrenochrome. Made for a great myth that still persists to this day. But likely Hunter S. fell victim to the same sort of advertising that one sees when they are offered a tiny purple pill being called mescaline. It just ain't so.

12. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    If I remember correctly it was his Samoan attorney who had the so-called adrenochrome. I think Hunter Thompson was so drunk most of the time, he wouldn't know what he was doing. Are we going to read about pineal gland extract next?:eek: Interesting report though!

13. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    it SUPPOSEDLY causes schitzophrenia, cant u read?

got damn what a snotty guy, must take a lot of energy. adam gottlieb has written in one of his books that adrenochrome causes temporary schizophrenia while its semicarbazone (OR some similar name) does not.. so mr. bitch about whatever: fuck you and have a nice day.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  14. nanobrain

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    ^play nice as of now.

taraxein, now there's a weird one. Brimblecombe / Pinder wrote it up well in Hallucinogenic Agents. 1975.

15. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

right and adrenochrome supposedly causing schizophrenia is an asshatted urban myth as was stated earlier. the point wasnt to be insultory. the point was that even mentioning it as a supposedly makes it sound true but unconfirmed. it has in fact been discussed in this thread that it in fact has been shown scientifically NOT to do that. as far as any real data shows it is not a psychomimetic in any capacity worth noting. sorry if anyones feelings got hurt. even though i already had apologized for my verbosity and beligerance in my preceding post on this topic. sorry guys didnt mean to make anyone :( upset:( over it. lets all join hands and sing peace rally songs... come on people now... smile on your brother... everybody get together... try to love one another right now... :)

:joint:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  16. nanobrain

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    i love the word 'asshat.' has anyone ever actually made a hat for the ass? hmmmm.

17. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think people should really try to use the word asshat as much as humanly possible.

:eek:fftopic: :joint:

18. napoleon in rags

napoleon in rags Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Not a suprise, it's been known for quite a while that adremochrome is mostly inept.

YOU TOOK TOO MUCH MAN, TOOK TOO MUCH

19. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    lets all join hands and sing peace rally songs... come on people now... smile on your brother... everybody get together... try to love one another right now... :)

:joint:[/QUOTE]

ok lets sing: SWEET HOME ALABAMA!! no but seriously isnĀ“t the semicarbazone the one with less side effects and the "best" high?

20. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    well I think all the 4 varieties of adrenochrome have some haemostatic properties and very weak effects so better not fuck around those compounds for too long

Tags: