1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Injecting - air bubbles in needles

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by brettoner, Nov 5, 2009.

1. brettoner

brettoner Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from papua_new_guinea
    does this really matter if there is a little air bubble still in the u-100 after flicking it swim heard it hurts like a bitch but only one person told me this so its probs not true i hope

2. Oxymorphone

Oxymorphone Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    It's my understanding that injecting an air bubble into your blood stream will kill you. SWIM doesn't shoot up so he can't really be sure, but he tells me he's heard it many times from many people. Furthermore getting air injected or blown (forcefully) into anywhere on your body (think sex) has the potential to kill.

At work, we have to, by law, limit the air volume and PSI from a blow wand on our air compressors because apparently people have died in the past from too much air pressure cutting the skin and forcing itself into the body and working it's way into the brain or heart.

SWIM tells me to recommend that SWIY be extremely careful to avoid injecting the air bubbles and to stay away from needles completely until he is taught how to properly use a syringe.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. YeaXTC

YeaXTC Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    great post swioxy.

swim would further support the above, the one time when he did try injecting, he removed all air bubbles, however, in the bottom of the syringe within the liquid area, there are a few tiny tiny air bubble stuck inside it seems. he asked a junkie friend and said friend told swim the TINY TINY LITTLE UN-REMOVABLE BUBBLES at the bottom that are stuck to the bottom of the syringe, theyre literally smaller than crubs, are okay and unable to remove. swim ended up changing his mind with his wrist tourniquent'd (sp?) off and the needle in his vein (on his 2nd try, suprisingly) and removed the needle before plunging in, knowing if he injected the hydromorphone his life would change drastically, and the rush from snorting would no longer ever suffice. so he then snorted the liquid, and got a good nod. but hes glad, even to this day, that he never pushed that plunger. so remember that, and the dark path the needle has lead to for many, next time swiy thinks, or even attempts to shoot up--once its pushed in there's no turning back--does swiy want that life / ready for that?

UTFSE to find some threads about injecting safeties, however, if swiy does decide to, so that there can be maximum harm reduction. if swiy is shooting pills swim would suggest a double filter, and if there are any visible particles floatin around in the rig, swiy needs to again, refilter, no matter the substance. it should be crystal clear inside!

All the best, and stay safe!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. biggpri

biggpri Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    injecting those little, tiny, almost invisible air bubbles at the bottom of the syringe, in swim's experience, is not harmful, but swim wouldn't advise it. mainlining any air bubbles bigger than that can potentially lead to death. remove as many air bubbles as swiy can from the needle, even if it takes fifteen minutes of flicking the barrell.

5. Thor1394

Thor1394 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    SWIM used to be afraid of air bubbles when he first started shooting too. But this is some what exagerated and people are freaking out over nothing. SWIM was in the hospital getting an IV from a nurse and she left like a quarter of a 1cc syringe sized air bubble in the line. SWIM started freaking out and yelling at her. She told SWIM to relax and that is a myth and it would take 4 times that much air to even maybe make any difference in SWIMs heart rythem. SWIM wanted a second opinion before getting the air bubbled IV so the nurse got the doctor and he agreed. So though it is good practice to get as much air out as possible, espeacially if SWIY does multiple shots a day, but it is nothing to freakout over. It would take that whole syringe full of air to do any damage.

6. psyche

psyche Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o Male from finland
    Yes, I agree. One of SWIM's friend tried suicide by injecting air, it didn't work out.

7. Ragnar Danneskjöld

Ragnar Danneskjöld Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    My guess is you could get away with as much as a quarter of the pin full of air.

Its really a newb mistake a phobia

air wont hurt you unless you bust out a B12 point and try and inflate yourself.

8. I_8_my yellow crayon

I_8_my yellow crayon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o Male from Canada
    Swim did some reading before posting. Apparently it takes around 1cc of air injected into the body to kill a human being. However, this is not accurate info imo, and all air should be avoided. Swim has found that most of the time when he use to inject dilaudid, when pushing on the plunger, the little airbubbles would go towards the pin, but would stay there while injecting. The only way to actually inject those air bubbles would have been to push the syringe completely in at a very, very fast rate. For anyone new, all swimmers should avoid air though, and not let any enter their veins. Injecting drugs multiple times a day can be damaging enough to a human body, so any and all precautions to maintain safety should be taken.

9. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    A small amount of air (.25CC or less) isn't a problem in peripheral veins - arms, I think legs. The closer you get to the heart, the less air becomes acceptable.

So, for those who IV, a bit of air in your syringe isn't that big a deal, but get out as much as you can before injecting. Also, when pulling back/jacking back/registering your hit, it looks like "air" comes in your syringe before the blood starts to pool in; this isn't "air" but part of the vacuum effect, and isn't cause for alarm.

~Kailey