Alabama cubensis mushroom with unusualy high potency

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Tht one dude, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Tht one dude

Tht one dude Newbie

Reputation Points:
    83 y/o from AL, USA
    Im an annual shroom hunter.shroom season hits and i hit my field almost every day usually at night.i tend to bring 4 to 5 ozs home each time.ive tryed many cubes and other more potent mushroom strains than the cubensis.but my cubed frome this field are by far the most potent ive ever came in contact with.many other shroom experts have told me this also.my fields in seale alabama any thougjts on why such high potency?

2. Josh Carlton

Josh Carlton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    21 y/o from Michigan
    One reason it could be high potency is that the population of mushrooms in that field is relatively genetically isolated from other cubensis, and it just, by chance, happens to be especially potent. If this is the case, by not interbreeding with other populations of cubensis, the genes for high potency are conserved.

Aside from genetics, environment contributes to potency. It is a rather general rule (and may not apply in all situations) that if a plant or fungus is stressed during growth, its alkaloid content will be higher, as alkaloids are meant to help protect the organism. Is there something about the area that might stress the mushrooms and cause them to be more potent? For example, mushrooms grown at cold temps tend to be denser (as they grow slower), and are stressed by the cold temps, and for both these reasons, seem to be slightly more potent. And people growing mescaline cacti sometimes purposefully stress them by making small cuts in them so the plant raises its alkaloid contents.
    For example, the area around Seale, AL used to produce a lot of turpentine, which means there were a lot of longleaf pines. Longleaf pines tend to grow in somewhat acidic, sandy soil. Maybe these soil conditions stress the mushrooms and cause them to be more potent?
    To be honest, I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about. Just suggesting some stuff that seems plausible. What do you think?

Either way, you should try to keep that patch growing and avoid introducing any cubensis spores from less potent patches. And if you think the field will be developed or for any other reason the mushrooms won't be able to grow there any more, you should take a spore print so you can preserve those potent genetics!

3. JnglJnke

JnglJnke Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How far away is the closest field that produces weaker mushrooms?