Health - Alcohol and unbearable taste?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by vantranist, Mar 6, 2007.

1. vantranist

vantranist Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    SWIM drank for a while... would get hammerd and throw up somtimes after drinking your standard 80 proof hard liquors, when he first started drinking the taste wassent anything he couldent handle... taking shots was fine aslong as it wassent a massive ammount.

NOW however after I have thrown up a few times and drank for a while he finds the taste of any alcohol just unbearable, he will gag when drinking bear to the point of throwing up just because the taste is so horrible. The smell sets him off even.

its been atleast 5 months since I have drank and its still pretty bad. I assume the body starts to make it taste worse and worse but how do i get that too go away?

A similar thing happend to SWIM with MJ taste but not nearly as bad. I am at the point i cant really drink anything, and this is sad for SWIM because he misses getting drunk.

So does anyone have any ideas how to help SWIM out? Like i said even the weakest drinks just taste terrible unless your talking about 2% smirnoff coolers or what ever.

2. Spare Chaynge

Spare Chaynge Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wish their was a safe method of alcohol intake that wasnt oral.

3. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    There IS another way to ingest alcohol.

There is a machine called an AWOL (Alcohol WithOut Liquid). Essentially it vaporizes hard liqour and mixes it with oxygen, which is then inhaled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_without_liquid

I hear a lot of states have already banned this device though, so check out your own state's (if you're in the US) legislature before you get too excited.

I don't know exactly how safe this would be, though I can't imagine it would be any worse than drinking it like usual.

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Vantranist said that even the smell wasn' tolerable. That makes alcohol vaporizers pointless for his SWIM.

Before pinkavvy will see this thread, I suggest a wine enema :D :D

Seriously, it seems that yous mind connects the taste of alcohol with all the nausea and throwing up caused by it. That is not something that goes away quickly (ask Forthesevenlakes about cherry flavor :D)

Maybe antiemetics might make drinking bearable, but that's not where the problem is. Sorry man.

5. Isochrist

Isochrist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.

Shit... so he did, so he did...

6. Gonthar

Gonthar Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Same thing happened to me!
    At first I had no problem drinking, but after I threw up a few times, I can't stand the smell of alcohol!
    I found that the best solution is to drink something really thick and with lots of sugar like chocolate liquor, whisky cream, Irish cream,etc...Also after each gulp of liquor I wash my mouth and throat with a sip of orange juice. I can barely feel the smell or taste of alcohol this way.
    I don't think I ever threw up after drinking chocolate liquor, but after vodka or beer it happened plenty of times.
    I believe it has to do with the taste. If you don't like the taste, the body naturally rejects the drink and you throw up.

7. GreatWonder

GreatWonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from U.K.
    SWIG can only dream of having the same problem. SWIG would love nothing more than to never touch a drop of alcohol ever again. SWIG abuses alcohol, not to the extent of a daily habit, but whenever SWIG hits the bottle he hits it hard. So what SWIG is saying is that some people out there will envy you!

8. AntiAimer

AntiAimer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    One could always cover there nose, while drinking it. This wont blind the mind but it can cover the taste and make it easier to drink. After one is messed up enough, the taste shouldn't matter anyways. For Smurf, after so long it's nothing more then drinking water.

When he was little, he could drink vodka OK....now could never touch the stuff. Reminds him to much of rubbing alcohol, taste and smell. Which his mind can't get over and makes him gag and not want to even drink.

Now he sticks to Whiskey, which he loves the taste. Cheap stuff or brand names like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  9. Spare Chaynge

Spare Chaynge Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    so has any one plugged alcohol?

10. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  11. Xyber04

Xyber04 Newbie

Reputation Points:

Sounds like you had a hangover lol.

12. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    Lots and lots of sugar and sour shit to mask the taste. Try margaritas, people can barely taste the tequila in them if they're weak enough. Although the very high concentration of fructose in the margariate mixers is pretty bad for your body in the long term.

13. GForce

GForce Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have pretty much given up on alcohol for the most part. He'll use it sometimes to supplement xanax or another drug, but it is rarely the "drug of choice" for the evening. When he was in High School he had no problem throwing down shots of anything. In fact, his first time drinking he took about 10 shots combined of vodka and whisky, each chased with a shot of malibu. If he did that now he would be sure to vomit. I love my beer though, but liquor he only breaks out in a rare situation.

14. beena

beena Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from U.K.
    Have you tried a Fat Frog? One Smirnoff Ice, one Blue WKD and one passionfruit Reef mix altogether and pour over ice. Tastes like the nicest soft drink you've ever had - you can fool your body into thinking its not ingesting alcohol and therefore you will probably not be sick. One word of caution, can cause a nasty hangover though (counter this with vitamin B).
    Drink is also perfect to have in pub with a mate: order one Smirnoff, one WKD and one Reef, get two pint glasses filled with ice and then distribute the liquids evenly between the two glasses. Its not too expensive either.

15. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    The unpleasant sensation alcohol gives You is a basic technique the body evolved to prevent somone from poisoning one's self. That's why you typically can't stomach food you ate prior to getting sick, for example--regardless if the food was responsible or not.

Obviously, if You find the taste so unpleasant, it might not be the drug for him, unless some other aspect--legal issues or just a strong preference for being drunk--is active.
    Assuming he wants to drink, he has to re-condition his body. Find out what form of alcohol he prefers, start by diluting it (ex: very weak G+Ts vs straight gin) then gradually increase concentration. DON'T drink to the point he gets hungover for a while or he'll have to start over (drink something different if he must).

Some things just aren't possible. It's highly doubtful I will EVER be able to stomach cognac again. In his autobiography, Jack London (a very heavy drinker) said that he "never got over" the physical revulsion to alcohol.

Oh, and sweet drinks are OK, but I feel that if You ever overdoes this, they'll taste sickeningly sweet from then on.

EDIT: If all else fails, down vodka, chase with immediate grape juice. Worked for SWIM.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  16. JustNeedToBeFree

JustNeedToBeFree Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I was reading a piece of Hunter S. Thompson literature and Hunter says that you can fill a syringe with tequila or rum and insert it into your naval and have almost an amyl nitrate high for 45 min.

17. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    You should make better mixed drinks. Keep it simple, spirit plus a healthy balance of lemonade or whatever. Another trick that works for I am chewing gum while trying to gulp back the vile brews he's used to in his usual late bar. Might not work for everyone but give it a try.

18. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Rum and blackcurrant is a drink that SWIM drinks which does does not taste of alcohol at all. Give it a try.

19. ProtectedByTheGods

ProtectedByTheGods Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM once discovered that mixing vodka with enough (not too much though :D)
    apple juice makes the alcohol taste vanish almost completely.

20. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    Swim prefers to make sure that the alcohol taste is there and strong. I have a problem that when he starts drinking he continues to drink a lot and wants to drink more (stupid Irish alcoholism genes). He likes to make sure the alcohol taste is very prominent so that his gag reflex keeps him from downing too much booze.