Health - Alcohol Consumption Increases Risk Of HIV Infection

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by robin_himself, Jun 11, 2006.

1. robin_himself

robin_himself Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I found this of great importance

"Alcohol Use Before Sex and HIV Acquisition: A Longitudinal Study in Rakai, Uganda," AIDS: Iryna Zablotska of the National Centre in HIV Social Research and colleagues examined approximately 6,800 men and more than 8,000 women ages 15 to 49 in Rakai, Uganda, to determine if consuming alcohol before sexual intercourse is linked to an increased risk of HIV transmission. The study -- conducted between 1994 and 2002 -- finds that consuming alcohol prior to sexual intercourse increases the risk of acquiring HIV by 67% for men and by 40% for women. The study also finds that if both partners consume alcohol, the risk increases by 58% for men and by 81% for women (http://www.kaisernetwork.org)

Now if this is entirely true than its kinda big news. Because Alcohol and Unsafe-Sex are linked closely. The public should realize this fact and take EVEN MORE care with HIV. If i'd ask the question.... "how many times have you had unsafe sex when intoxicated with alcohol where you could have used a condomn but where to caught up in the moment" I think i'd get high numbers from ya all. Please let us know.

1. 4/5,
      good art
      Jun 14, 2006
  2. KorSare

KorSare Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Canada
    Pshhhhh, well that's basically the same as saying "Being Stupid Increases Your Risk of Getting HIV."

You could probably substitute every reference to "alcohol" in the above article with any other drug that alters clear-thinking. Or cite plain educational ignorance instead.

If there is some sort of direct biological or chemical reason that alcohol increases the odds of obtaining HIV, I'd like to know.

3. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    "Alcohol consumption increases risk of HIV"

.....in other breaking news the Pope admits to being Catholic and a number of bears were seen leaving the woods with rolls of toilet tissue.

:D

Klaatu

4. Drunkken_Munkey

Drunkken_Munkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well you got to understand to that alcohol lowers your immune system. So your probably more open to catch aids if your drunk. So I can kind of see how you could catch aids.

5. KorSare

KorSare Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Canada
    If what you say about alcohol weakening the immune system is true, then I would assume it'd be easier to catch colds and other contagious diseases.

I don't think a weak immune system or a strong one will have any affect on HIV infection? But I could be wrong. AIDS isn't a disease, it's a virus, and enters your bloodstream, via open wound or sex, etc... you're infected. I think.

Someone shed some light here.

6. robin_himself

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    you didn't read the article good... it says that with alcohol your chance of getting Aids while having SEX with a guy/girl who has aids increases dramatically. This does not imply for other drugs, and yes its the immune system thats fucked up when you drink.

7. KorSare

KorSare Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Canada
    Well what you're saying, is that being intoxicated or stupid enough not to use a condom whilst having sex, will increase the chance of getting HIV.

Obviously. You're not wearing a condom.

However the title of your thread, "alcohol consumption increases risk of HIV infection" is kind of vague. Sure, being intoxicated with alcohol may cloud your mind, and you may forget to use protection. But there's nothing singled out about alcohol that affects HIV infection. I mean, you could say being sky-high on meth, or stoned out of your marbles on weed, could possibly lead to the same thing.

As far as being infected by HIV goes, well, it's a virus, not a bacteria. A heavy drinker may catch a cold more easily than a non-drinker, but a weak immune system won't matter when it comes to HIV - if you forget that condom and have sex with an infected person, you'll get it no matter what.

I think I read the article well enough. And to respectfully disagree with you, robin, I don't think it's "big news" - My original point was that the article could apply to any drug that alters your clear state of mind. Sure, drunkards could forget to put on a condom. Ravers high on E and caught up in the moment, could also forget, or not even care.

But you're right about the importance of the public taking awareness to the issue. I'm just saying that instead of focusing primarily on alcohol, the public should take a mental note that any substance that can alter the way you think, could possibly lead to poor judgement, and severe health risk.

8. robin_himself

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    its not about the condomn. Its about the chance of getting aids while on alcohol. for example: One guy has sex while sober but without condomn his chance of getting aids if the girl has it is 50% (not real figure) and one guy has sex while drunk without condomn with the same girl that has aids, his chance to get it would be around 80% (not real figure)

that's the point. I agree that when one is intoxicated with ANY drug he might forget the condomn but that does not increase his chance of getting aids. Alcohol does.

9. KorSare

KorSare Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from Canada
    Alright, here's an external link, because the original article was kind of vague as to where those percentages were coming from.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2846471.stm

Apparently, having sex with a person infected with HIV does not mean you are also infected, with 100% certainty. Which goes against what I had believed.

The contents of the report explain that alcohol has an effect on the immune system, and has a suspected influence on CD4+T cells, which are susceptible to becoming infected with HIV.

The article also confirms what we have been saying about alcohol's ability to impair judgment.

http://alcoholism.about.com/library/blacer030316.htm

This link here is a bit more in depth. But basically says the same thing. It also elaborates on the fact that consuming alcohol even after being infected with HIV, can still have ill effects. Alcohol's immunosuppressive effects can potentates the symptoms of HIV, and may also lead to the development of AIDS.

So it's clear now. Obviously we all knew beforehand that sex without condoms is risky. And now we know that there is, in fact, something special about alcohol that biologically increases risk of infection. Interesting.

Hope this helps fellow readers in their understanding.

10. Peace Frog

Peace Frog Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I can't say I'm really surprised, but it certainly was a unique thread title when I first caught eye of it.

I never really liked alchohol all that much anyway ;)

But as it's been said, it's important to be careful on ANY substance, not just alchohol... good tip is to have a condom in your wallet or something :p One of those "Just in case" things I guess.

11. Drunkken_Munkey

Drunkken_Munkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It makes me sick thinking about all the people in this world who have kids that can't support them, or who have abortions because they don't have the patience to go to the store and buy a damn rubber!! People like that need to be shot.

1. 2/5,
      Yet another useless post.
      Jun 14, 2006