1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Effects - Alcohol + GHB risks

Discussion in 'GHB' started by twintornado, Jun 7, 2005.

1. twintornado

twintornado Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Feb 2, 2005
    53 y/o
    I have produced some ghb they said it seemed to convert well.

However I have started using with alcohol to increase the effect of
    both adding around 2ml to a 500ml can of 6% of cider (I am unable to
    be accurate with conc. of GHB sol. however it form a solid after a
    small amount of heating and then left to cool).

I have found this to be a good combo (alcohol + ghb) this has gone
    against everything they have read. Is this a safe level use? can it be
    assumed that if it has been OK on the dozen or so occassions so far
    that it will be fine in the future?

2. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Well what you're talking about is like 1-2grams of GHB with whats basically a beer, of course thats not gonna be fatal.

You start entering Darwin territory when you're taking 4+grams or
    unknown amounts along with hard liquor trying to get trashed. I mean
    use common sense but when the liquor is flowing it can get out of hand
    and people can end up dead. Its generally a bad idea and is what lead
    to all the deaths attributed to GHB alone.
  3. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Mar 10, 2005
    36 y/o from U.K.
    i know alot of people who have gotten into problems whilest out clubing on g and drinking at the same time some of them have ended up in hospital i would generaly decide on doing one or the other not both together unless it was a small amount of g with 1 or 2 drinks of about 5% vol also g and k is a no no mixing differant types and amounts of downers is generaly not the best idea in the world ne how. take care what ever you do.
  4. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    May 1, 2005
    36 y/o from Canada
    Swim made the very bad mistake one time of drinking way too much then doing a lid of G on his birthday. Needless to say swim hit the floor all of the sudden and wouldn't wake up for a few hours no matter how hard people tried. Never did G again :)
  5. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 21, 2005
    from U.S.A.
    Low levels of both can certainly increase the potencey of both, but the problem is that both these substances cloud judgement.

I know waaaay too many people who have gone down this road and regretted it. Fortunately, no one has ever been in a situation where an ER was called or they were in mortal danger, but it's gotten prety scary.It sucks to not be able to wake up a friend...to have to keep checking their breathing, to have to try to explain to other people who are under some sort of influence that the person is ok...it's way more drama than anyone needs.

The mix just isn't worth the risk.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Signals From 93 Dimensions Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Jan 25, 2009
    46 y/o from Łódź, Poland
    Re: Alcohol + GHB (V.Good?!)

I'm doing research on GHB currently and this is what I found on this subject, i.e mixing it with alcohol:

There is a synergy of its sedative effects when GHB is combined with other CNS depressants such as alcohol, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and others. As a general rule one can assume that mixing GHB with other depressants and opiates should be avoided. Taking GHB with alcohol causes cumulative depressive effects as well as increased nausea and vomiting. This can be an extremely dangerous combination. Most deaths and non-fatal GHB overdoses too are attributed to this particular mix.

Additionally, in case of 1,4-B, another factor to be considered is that people who drink alcohol regularly tend to induce expression of their dehydrogenase enzymes, and thus have higher levels of these enzymes than people that do not drink alcohol regularly.This means that regular alcohol drinkers will both convert 1,4-B into GHB more rapidly and also break down GHB into succinate faster than people that do not drink alcohol. This multitude of different factors can make the interactions between 1,4-B, GHB and alcohol very complicated and highly variable between different individuals.

If alcohol has also been consumed this can saturate the dehydrogenase enzymes and so delays the conversion of 1,4-B into GHB, meaning that 1,4-B takes much longer to take effect and people may re-dose thinking it hasn't done anything, leading to an accidental overdose later on once it finally takes effect. 1,4-B itself can also contribute to the enzyme saturation, so, when alcohol and 1,4-B are consumed together, it produces a complex and somewhat unpredictable interaction between the varying levels of alcohol, 1,4-B and GHB present in the body. Alcohol also makes the GHB last longer in the body by competing for dehydrogenase enzymes, and hence delaying the conversion of GHB into succinate.

And there is one last issue to all this. According to research I'm doing now on addiction to GHB and withdrawal from it, concomitant alcohol abuse may mask early GHB withdrawal symptoms and exacerbate the withdrawal itself. Another thing that is clearly undesirable.

I'm unable to trace all these data to particular sources right now, but virtually everything I know about GHB (and it's prodrugs) comes from either Erowid, PubMed materials or DF.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009