Opinions - 'Alcohol makes your brain grow'

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Silverbackman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    anewsvote.bbc.co.uk_nol_shared_img_printer_friendly_news_logo.gif
    'Alcohol makes your brain grow'

Drinking alcohol boosts the growth of new nerve cells in the brain, research suggests.

But while this might sound good in theory, the Swedish team believe these new cells could contribute to the development of alcohol dependence.
    Mice fed moderate quantities of alcohol grew extra brain cells, but also showed a preference for alcohol over water.
    The Karolinska Institute research appears in the International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology.

Brain growth

Lead researcher Professor Stefan Brene said: "We believe that the increased production of new nerve cells during moderate alcohol consumption can be important for the development of alcohol addiction and other long-term effects of alcohol on the brain."
    Alternatively, the extra cells might help with learning and memory, he said.
    Another theory, according to the researchers, is that the tranquilising effect of alcohol triggers the growth.
    All of the new cells developed normally.
    A spokeswoman from the Campaign for Real Ale said: "It is well known that alcohol in moderation is good for your body so it's no surprise it's also good for your mind.
    "Maybe that is why lots of pub quiz teams are so bright."
    A spokeswoman from Alcohol Concern said: "This type of study could prove useful in the long term to shed light on the relationship between alcohol intake and dependency.
    "However, very little can be drawn from a single animal-based study at this stage.
    "Much more research is needed to explore the relationship between drinking patterns and their effect on the human brain."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/health/4496727.stm

Published: 2005/04/29 12:19:57 GMT

WTF? Nearly every other study I have read says that alcohol kills brain cells, not the opposite. Even moderate intake.

Anyone no more about this?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  2. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    swim knew there was a reason he drinks so much...can you find a link to the actuall study?more info on the study would explain more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Please post the full story. Links often become obsolete with time.

4. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    as the queen ordered...
    link above^^

Alcohol makes your brain grow'
    Image of the brain
    Drinking alcohol boosts the growth of new nerve cells in the brain, research suggests.

But while this might sound good in theory, the Swedish team believe these new cells could contribute to the development of alcohol dependence.

Mice fed moderate quantities of alcohol grew extra brain cells, but also showed a preference for alcohol over water.

The Karolinska Institute research appears in the International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology.

Brain growth

Lead researcher Professor Stefan Brene said: "We believe that the increased production of new nerve cells during moderate alcohol consumption can be important for the development of alcohol addiction and other long-term effects of alcohol on the brain."

Alternatively, the extra cells might help with learning and memory, he said.

Another theory, according to the researchers, is that the tranquilising effect of alcohol triggers the growth.

All of the new cells developed normally.

A spokeswoman from the Campaign for Real Ale said: "It is well known that alcohol in moderation is good for your body so it's no surprise it's also good for your mind.

"Maybe that is why lots of pub quiz teams are so bright."

A spokeswoman from Alcohol Concern said: "This type of study could prove useful in the long term to shed light on the relationship between alcohol intake and dependency.

"However, very little can be drawn from a single animal-based study at this stage.

"Much more research is needed to explore the relationship between drinking patterns and their effect on the human brain."

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

5. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I´ve read somewhere that the brauín reacts to damge with more growth, but that articla was more like over generations.

6. eltimmy

eltimmy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Maryland, U.S.A.
    Yes, low levels of alcohol seem to kick-start various nerve growth factors. The health benefits of 1-2 drinks daily is now being touted everywhere.

7. stoneinfocus

Reputation Points:
    One could get a 4 hour training withoiut drinking and eating and lots of growth factors would be poduced, but had about 30%-80% less work power and output. and the cause for the growth hormones burst´d be to compensate for a deficient situtaion.

If I´d eat and drink, I had less growth hormone but with lesser damage done, the lesser burst of gh is used better and makes up for more and quicker growth... I think both situations have their benefits in one or the other way, but the latter is much more preferable.(what an analogy)

Could you back that up scientifically, that alcohol boosts any nerve growth factors?

8. kumar

kumar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Australia
    I dont believe it.

9. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if the alcohol industry had a part in funding this.

Next thing you know they'll be putting Gingko Biloba in beers! And of course alcohol retailers are going to use this to promote unhealthy binge drinking as the "low" level of alcohol consumption this could actually work with wouldn't make them enough money.

10. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Alcohol makes your brain shrink!

If both these articles are accurate, you could drink moderately to grow your brain back again after a heavy drinking binge!:crazy

11. The Doors

The Doors Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    My thoughts exactly!

12. mr. strawberry

mr. strawberry Newbie

Reputation Points:
    there's always the buffalo theory which goes like this
    A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, much
    like the brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. The
    slowest buffalo are the sick and weak so they die off first, making it
    possible for the herd to move at a faster pace. Like the buffalo the
    weak, slow brain cells are the ones that are killed off by excessive
    beer drinking and socializing, making the brain operate faster.
    The moral of the story, drink more beer, it will make you smarter.

13. stoneinfocus

Reputation Points:
    .. like "oh, well there´s a lame thought of maybe going to the athletics with my son whos seems to kick -ass at hockey, ball-games, apparatus gymnastics and espacially combining endurance and power in biking, as well as having an IQ of 130++ and being funny and an excellent author with his 10y of age, but wait, he´s most probably a fag and I only made him just 8 years after the others two to get my house paid and he´s worth 3x the child´s benefit money of the frist child and I´m sitting here with draught beer at home and can watch soccer with my pipe smokign neighbour, who likes to drin a barrel or two like me...." Maybe the "lame" thought´s ought to be those bringing a major step forward, but well, one could say all this depends on the point of view. :p

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  14. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    Funny, someone told me that today, also she pointed out why it doesn't make sence to use that argument for alcohol.

Off course, if you take in account this topic it does make sence.

However: Usually it is thought that alcohol kills brain cells and those cells never come back. So this is a difference with the buffalo group, in this group the stronger animals will get children, while your brain does't reproduce.

15. mr. strawberry

mr. strawberry Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah, i mean its an amusing theory but i didnt say to take it to the scientific bank. the buffalo who get killed are likely the slower ones while i dont know if the alcohol discriminates on what cells it kills. the whole thing is a fallacy if you look at it literally.
    brain cells are not buffalo. so it is not fair to compare them in the same way.
    fortunatly i posted that post for entertainment, not so kids could argue to their parents why they should be allowed to throw a big party saterday night.

16. mr. strawberry

mr. strawberry Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the one thing i do know though is alcohol makes my penis grow.

17. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    one thing, in favor of this argument

the first year in university swim drank stupid amounts of alcohol and he got 82%

the second year he didn't drink much (but he did smoke a lot of joint) and got 67%

however, a fiend of mine told me the amount of acohol to be consumed was in the study and the maximum amount of alchol which has a good effect on the brains is no hihger as 4 pints :)

18. Bildo

Bildo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Everyone gets good grades in thier first year at uni.
    I seriously doubt the credibilty of this article.

19. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Drink a bit more and it will certainly shrink!:confused:

20. velvetwoodstock

velvetwoodstock Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've read things similar to this, including that it helps produce new healthy liver cells. Most of this is probably just creative advertising.