Side effects - Allergy-like symptoms of DXM caused histamine release: Itching, redness, rash etc.

Discussion in 'DXM' started by markdoesdrugs, Jan 22, 2005.

1. markdoesdrugs

markdoesdrugs Newbie

Reputation Points:
    my 300 lb friend just took around 1100 mg of powder dxm. he got all red
    and itchy. im trying to keep him calm but he is scared he is going to
    die. is there any way to end a dxm trip or make him calm down. help
    assure me he will be fine. thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  2. Curtains

Curtains Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    just got the robo itch, its cool happens to some....no way to really end a dxm tripto my knowledgethe best way to calm him him down right would probably be music, becuase it just helps u let go and not worry, quite possible the best thing he could have right now. Really need to be in the right state of mind and have some experince before doing 1100mg

My two favorite songs while tripping hard on DXM are Modest Mouse's --Dramamine and the stars are projectors......relaxing and let u space out.......or just play anything relaxing in general

3. par excellence.

par excellence. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    if he's 300 lbs 1100 mg isn't really that much for him. especially if he uses DXM frequently ^^

but yeah... relaxing music, nice lighting... maybe a relaxing movie he
    might enjoy, preferably a children's (shh it works and is fun).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  4. a4stringedwonder

a4stringedwonder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    claritin for the itch???

Ive read what i could find on here about using claritin to counter the itch of DXM. I am wondering if claritin will keep him awake. I am bored this friday night and wants to try a 300mg DXM dose. Once again, I do not want to stay up all night long, and I want to counter the horrible itch that he encounters when he does DXM

the itch mainly affects me at the scalp.

thanks,
    fast reponse would be appreciated

5. killthepoor187

killthepoor187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I would be very surprised if it did keep you awake. Most antihistamines (all of them, to my knowledge) are depressants. The ingredient in benadryl is actually also used in many otc sleeping pills.

6. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    If anything, the DXM will keep you awake more than anything. Claritin is non drowsy, so it won't make you sleepy either. Just make sure you dont have claritin D, which has extended release pseudoephedrine. That will most likely keep you awake.

7. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    you could also try a benadryl. I have read about people taking just one, and feeling fine with it... Either that, or keep a cold ice pack handy and just ice the itches away

Muirner

8. killthepoor187

killthepoor187 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm gonna have to try that. It sounds nice.

9. pumped3.16

pumped3.16 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    IT stoped my skin from itching when it got burned on a sunbed

10. bluntz

bluntz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    benedryl works fine im sure claritin would work fine as well you only need one usually.

11. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    My only thought with my idea is. When I used to trip all the time, anything he did, he would experience a much greater effect with. For example when he was tripping and he smoked weed the effect of smoking would be more intense then ever before. He has never been that high before, or sense.

With that being said, i'd start with 1/2 of a benedryl first. Just because some people react to benedryl harsher then others. There are some people who can take 2 and end up being so fucked up they cant talk and function normally. So play it safe, go with 1/2 of one.

Muirner

12. quili

quili Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    remaining rash from dxm?

I tried DXM (only 250mg in cough syrup form with no other active ingredients) for the first time last night around 5:30pm. Around 7pm she started getting itchy on her stomach and so she scratched it and put lotion on. She noticed that there were some red dots that look like little blood spots or a funky bruise on the sides of her stomach by her hip bones. They don't protrude from the skin at all, but seem like they are under it. She figured this was just a temporary result of the DXM and scratching. They are still there today, however, and I was wondering if this might be from the DXM? Is it normal for something to carry over to the next day? She knows some people get rashes, etc., but she's never heard of it lasting past the tripping stage. Any thoughts?

13. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: remaining rash from dxm?

Some users may be slightly allergic to DXM, causing the dreaded robo itch. This can be avoided by dosing anti-nausea/anti-allergy medication before dosing DXM. SWIM, too, has never heard of a rash lasting beyond the trip, and SWIM advises You to go to a doctor if it hasn't subsided in a few days.

14. highganja99

highganja99 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Re: remaining rash from dxm?

The rash will disappaer after a week usually, youv'e just scratched too hard and it causes blood spots. taking an antihistamine when dosing helps, preferably diphenhydramine, just a usual recommended dose on the package, although this may make the trip less intense also.

15. chronman

chronman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    I took 700mgs of dxm about an hour ago. everything feels like normal ATM, but I have this huge red rash on swims chest and neck and its warm to touch. it doesnt look like an irritation, just like its the color red. swims never gotten it b4. the store only had the "long-acting" kind, maybe this is why. anyone relate?

wen I say he feels normal he means he's trashed, but has a rash. it on my arm a little bit too. is this anything to worry about?

also want to add this didnt come from scratching. although i do have the robo itch, i wasnt scratching my chest and its all red.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  16. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: dxm rash

The rash is not too worrisome as such, but is certainly a reason to stay away from that particular preparation. I don't know if the rash is due to the long-acting DXM itself, but it might be from other substances in the new product. If subsequents experiments with other (the usual) products result in such rashes, I would choose abstinence if I were in your pet's situation.

17. Rush

Rush Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from switzerland

swim seems to have something similar, but it is on a smaller area,and in the center of the chest.

although he uses to take up to 350 mg doses, it seems to be dose related.

also swim dont uses syrups but powder dxm, so it cold be bromides action or the dxm itself.

18. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Could be an allergic reaction. Swimmers may want to take a small dose of diphenhydramine with their DXM.

ECL

19. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    DXM and the cause of histamine release

I understand that the redness, itching, robo itch, etc. is due to an allergic reaction to something in the cough syrup.

Has anyone been able to determine whether this is an allergic reaction to DXM itself, or some other compound common in cough syrup?

20. Mr. Mcneal

Mr. Mcneal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    allergic to gel caps?

Swim have used DXM off and on for about a year and have discovered a rather annoying problem. Swim's favorite way to take DXM is via gel cap, but lately I have noticed a number of negative side effects that are not present when he uses another DXM containing product.

Whenever I take gel caps, starting about 20 minutes after the DXM kicks in his face turns bright red and he become uncomfortably hot. However this does not occur with other products. In addition, this only occurs when I take the generic gel caps, if they are actual robotussin this doesn't seem to happen.

Swim's best guess is that he is allergic to one of the inactive ingredients found in either the casing or the liquid itself.

Can anyone shed some light on this?