1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - Alprazolam and Lorazepam

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by zalman, Aug 24, 2010.

1. zalman

zalman Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So the 2 safe to mix? swim is wondering if xanax and lorazepam (Ativan)

No side questions other than SWIM has taken 2 bars of Xan and 8 beers already.

Simple question.

2. Neznam

Neznam Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Xanax & Ativan

Alprazolam (xanax) and Lorazepam (Ativan) are in the same category, benzodiazepines, so in theory there is nothing wrong with mixing them besides increase in effects such as sedation, respiratory depression, etc. Since they basically do the same thing, the only difference would be mainly the duration of action.

It really depends on the dose. Both are short-acting and are both quite potent. Swim would advise to use separately.

3. ishta777

ishta777

Reputation Points:
    Re: Xanax & Ativan

Hi Zalman,
    As swim understands it, lorazepam has exactly the same chemical makeup as Xanax. Lorazepam is supposedly the american equivalent . Doctor said that as a replacement for xanax, Lorazepam works exactly the same, only the measurement incriments change. So to answer question, by mixing lorazepam and xanax, all that happens is that you increase the amount of alprazolam/lorazepam swiy is taking. Hope this advice is of some help, also , swim would suggest slowing down the beers with this medication! Good Luck, Ishta

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:
    ^^^ Lorazepam is does NOT have the same "chemical makeup" as Alprazolam. They are different drugs with different structures

Lorazepam

and, attached, Alprazolam

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. timkanu

timkanu

Reputation Points:

No it certainly is not safe to mix 4mg xanax, 8 beers, and then add lorazepam ontop. No this categoricaly is NOT SAFE.

Will it kill swiy ? perhapes, perhapes not. But its certainly not safe and swim certainly would not do it.

6. ishta777

ishta777

Reputation Points:
    My friend apologises so much for the mis-info! She was silly enough to believe someone who my friend thought knew what they were talking about!My friend would be very interested to know the facts about the different effects the drug has ( lorazepam ) and how it compares to alprazolam ( xanax ). Any Help???
    Many Thanks, and again, my friend did not mean to mislead anyone..........Ishta

7. timkanu

timkanu

Reputation Points:
    Effects are very similar, lorazepam is abit better as a muscle relaxant, slightly less potent anxiolytic. The half life of the 2 drugs are similar and relitivly short compared to valium (diazepam). Lorapzepam has a slightly longer half life than Alprazolam.

They both have very similar potency, Alprazolam is abit more potent though. 0.5mg Alprazolam is close to 1mg Lorazepam.

Alprazolams rebound withdrawal is said to be alot worse than Lorazepams aswell.

8. Rainbowzz

Rainbowzz Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Ishta your friend likely meant that they are the "same" in that it is the same classification of drug - a benzodiazepine type of sedative. In that sense they are the same, but the chemical is different.

9. monoamine

monoamine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Alprazolam is not and btw clonazepam, sleeping pills for me, they wake me up like no tomorrow

i found valium+loraz (witch i tested a few days ago for first time) to be a bomb combo

and loraz is more sedating than xanax, xanax is just removig all anx,etc not feeling eny benzo #effect#

btw i was, now slight heavy user so, maby loraz woks so well for me cus its my first time tryin this, so i wonder, 1-2-3 upjohns on top of this , would be even better or ?