1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Alprazolam CR (Controlled Release), ER (Extended Release), SR (Sustained Release)

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by Bodhisattva500, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bodhisattva500

Bodhisattva500 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Jatelka EDIT: This is a merged thread and the earlier posts are from before the "no self-incrimination" thing came into play

Does anybody take time released xanax? How long do they last?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  2. TheCecil

TheCecil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    time released xanax last about 6-8 hours. they are avalible in .5mg, 1mg, 2mg, and 3mg time released tablets. time released xanax is not really great for receational uses, it is just a steady flow of alprazolam for up to 8 hours. mainly used for panic disorder so people dont have to pop bars all day long since xanax is one of the shorter acting benzos with a half life of only 6 hours. hope this helps

3. ezat420

ezat420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    They are called Xanax XR (extended release)
    They are expensive as fuck!

4. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    can they be crushed to destory its time-relased formula?

5. vacant

vacant Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I think that crushing them COULD infact help, but I'm not completely sure.

According to their website:
    It also says:
    So, I suppose, it could help to crush the pill, though it's much more sensible to just go and get some regular Xanax.

6. basehead800

basehead800 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yea man crush it up and take it trust me i got sum of this shit once and i snorted the 2mg and took 2 na a half valium 10's an i was set i dont know why noone like these things

7. kuplo

kuplo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    They are really really expensive, I ran out of my regular xanax, but had a prescription laying around from when the Dr was going to try me on the xr, so I went to the pharmacy, 3 pharmacys didnt even carry it, but i found one, and it was like $120.00 for just 25 of them (no insurance yet). My script was for 50, and I was to take 5 when I got up in the morning becuase my normal dose of xanax is 10mg a day, so i was in a pinch since it's the holiday and had to fork out the money, today is day one on the xr, i swallowed 3 of them, put 1 under my tongue (doesnt disolve like regular so I chewed it up and am still trying to swallow all of it that stuck to my teeth, and just crushed one up and swallowed it).

I hope they give the same relief that i get from regular xanax.

8. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIMS Friend gets alot of Xanax XR and he lets them sit in water and completely dissolve, then drinks it. It takes along time, but it seems like it would be the best way to completely bypass the time-release mechanism.

9. timmytoo

timmytoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Crushing Xanax (Alprazolam) XR?

Does Anyone Know If Xanax Xr Is Really As Dangerous As The Warnings In The Bottle And Insert Say? It Is Sooooo Not Working For Me And I Thought If I Crushed It I May Get The Immediate Relief For Panic As I Get From Regular Xanax???

Thanks,
    Miss Desperate!!

10. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    did you already ask this? double posting isn't allowed. also, please search and use the word swim, as self-incrimination is also against the rules.

crushing xanax is how it's often abused for recreational use. however, for medical use it's not going to help you much.

recreationally, a new user should stick to 1mg crushed.

medically, you should stick to what the dr. orders.

11. timmytoo

timmytoo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry...

I'm sorry for the double post... also thanks for the heads up on the SWIM thing... I was just looking for help, because i have been on xanax to control panic attacks for 5 years and wanted to try the Xanax XR because of the addition part of it. My Dr. said it wasn't as addictive. But, unfortunately it doesn't work. And I was having a really really bad attack today :(
    Sorrry!

12. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Crush away oggy, and don't worry about the package warning. I had to do the same thing ,the xr didn't work for me either. After crushing the xr they acted like the normal xanax.

13. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Can time release Xanax (Alprazolam CR) be used recreationally?

SWIM got ahold of 30 1 mg Xanax Retard.
    Can they be used reacreationally ?
    Crush them or something like that ?

14. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    What is xanax retard? SWIM is assuming that the doses are retarted like a time release, Sustained Release? They could be used recreationally like regular xanax. SWIM is not so frimiliar with these pills but SWIM could probably crush them into a fine powder and you would be left with 1mg of xanax. You would not want to snort it though just eat it or parachute it. You could just take it orally also to see how you like it and how long it lasts. Xanax has a shorter half life so maybe the add certain binders to help with the duration so you will not have to redose. Have you taken regular xanax before SWIM? It should be the same if you grind it up but probably weaker/longer if you just take the pill. The recreational effects would probably be better if crushed in SWIMs opinion.

Anyone else have a clue about this?

15. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I guess Xanax Retard is the same as Xanax XR.
    The alprozalam gets slowly released, so it lasts longer.
    Works very well for SWIM's anxiety problems, but no recreational value, even when swim took 5 mg crushed.
    Swim used a cheap generic of Alprozalem few weeks ago and never saw the use of using them recreationally.
    Don't get it that so many people out there abuse and like it :-s

16. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene

Reputation Points:
    ...can they be used reacreationally?! Hell yes they can! I hope you realize what exactly you have! 30 of the 1mg. xanax is ALOT! You only need about 3 to reach the "abuse" level. You have a very good abuseable substance, use it wisely!

17. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yesterday SWIM crushed 4 of them and took them orally.
    Don't understand the whole hype around this drug,... It just makes you feel relaxed.
    I got a prescription because i suffer from major panic attacs, and 1 Xanax Retard is enough to calm for about 12 hours.

So i'm not going to use them recreationally, because i can't enjoy the buzz you get from it.

SWIM is on 250 mg of tramadol right now.
    THAT is some good stuff !
    Swim is planning on taking 40 mg a Valium and 30 mg zopiclone this evening, to end this wonderfull day :D

18. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict

Reputation Points:
    GOD I can't help but post in this thread. For the sole reason that constantly seeing the title, as read in English, is so damned fucking hilarious!! Thank you, mark_v, for bringing to my attention the French(?) name for this product. I'm LMAOFLOLERWEDQQQQQQQ. Oops, sorry, that must've been the Xanax, what a retard I am! :)

Sorry, please carry on. On topic, I doubt that time-release alprazolam has much "recreational" potential unless one defeats the time-release mechanism somehow. I really wish that I'd had it available to me when I was using alprazolam to treat my anxiety - especially when I tapered off, because neither diazepam nor klonopin had much effect on that anxiety, and lorazepam left me too dumb. Xanax was the one benzo that really worked for me, so the short half-life made getting off of it a bitch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  19. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    SWIM has heard of xanax XR (extended release) and also xanax SR (sustained release). They seem to be the same thing and supposedly work great to control anxiety. The half-life of xanax is short but this makes the drug kick in slowly so it will control your anxiety for several additional hours. If you do not enjoy taking them recreationally then just take the therepudic dose you feel comftorable with. SWIM also does not like to recreaionally take xanax but he will take a bar every once in a while to go to sleep or just to calm himself down. It works great for that! You are lucky to have a prescription for such a useful drug, just dont get into the habit of abusing it. Use as specified by your doctor and you should be okay. SWIM also does not understand why people abuse xanax so much! Its great for what it does and also great to use as a sleeping aid, but it is not very euphoric. It makes you super slow and your memory is non existant with too high of doses. Like a thread earlier mentioned, many people start to steal when they get high on xanax! WTF! SWIM knows several instances of theft happening while someone was on xanax. It throws your common sence and inhabitions out the window. On top of that, you might not even remember stealing something the next day! Some people take 10mg+++ at a time SWIM just sees no reason for doing this. Although there are some good prescription drugs to use recreationally, SWIM just does not think xanax is one of them. Now hydromorphone is a completely different story!

20. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    They are one and the same and I once tried them and had to crush to get close to the same affect as the oral xanax. Crush them to powder and and down the powder with a glass of water or a beverage that will kill the taste ,if your not used to the bitterness. I know people who chew the bars and they swear they have a smaller waiting time for the drug to hit.
    Don't be afraid to crush xanax retard or XL the are the same MG. as the bars or the other MG.and they will work if they are powdererized.