Alza tablet (ritilan)

Discussion in 'Concerta & Ritalin' started by Wyborowa, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Wyborowa

Wyborowa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend gave swim two alza tablets, also known as ritilan. Siwm got a few alza tablets earlier in the week, they were the 54mg, sustained release. (the cylindricall tube that squeases the medicine out slowly) Today, he got 2 alza tablets, with no marking, but instead, the cylinder type pill was a kinda of slime green on half, the other half, a peach/offwhite color. Does anyone kno the dosage on this pill?

Also, if i split the pill in half, would the pill immediatly be realeased into my blood, rather than slowly creeping out? And can you inject this form of ritilan? Thanks a bunch! SWIM need help!

2. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Alza makes Concerta, Ciba-Geigy makes Ritalin

Just for the record, Concerta is manufactured by Alza and Ritalin is manufactured by Ciba-Geigy. Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals (before I looked it up, I spelled it "Mallicondroit" haha) manufactures another form of methylphenidate under the brand name Methylin. And there is also another methylphenidate preparation, under the brand name Metadate. Anyway, onto your question.

First and foremost, you CANNOT inject Concerta due to the complexity of the OROS delivery system it utilizes and due to the insoluble particles found in the capsule. There have been a number of reports on Medline concerning failed attempts at intranasal abuse of the methylphenidate within Concerta. While trying to sniff it will just end up frustrating you, injecting it would be profoundly retarted (I learned in school today that people with IQ's of less than 20 are considered 'profoundly retarted', so I'm not being politically incorrect!) Secondly, the 'Alza tablet' you were given is a Concerta tablet with the outer drug layer peeled off. Whoever gave it to you was either trying to a) enhance the absorption of the drug by "breaking it open", which doesn't work if you just peel away the outer drug coating anyway since the components of the capsule are all contained in an insoluble casing, or b) take advantage of you, although in a small way since the outer drug coating doesn't contain very much methylphenidate. But the important thing is the size of the capsule if you want to determine what dose it is. Search online for a PDR image of the concerta formulations and try to match your capsule up with one. And finally, breaking apart the Concerta capsule using pliars/wire cutter/flower pruner/etc. will result in a quicker release of methylphenidate. It will not be as quickly absorbed as an immediate-release Ritalin tablet but still, there will be a profound difference from just swallowing it whole. Hope this helps!

3. Wyborowa

Wyborowa Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yea, swim gets them for free. And what he did was take his pill cutter, and cut it vertically, long side, then cut the halves into another half so he had 4 peices from one pill, and he did it with both capsules. So at the end he had 8 peices n swallowed them..wow..I was flying for a good 6 hours...had a heached afterwards...but wow....he fleeeeeeeeeeewww! Good thing the Sabres kicked Toronto's ass! he was getting into that!

Swim thanks you :-D