1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - Amazon and Drug testing

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by Sven99, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Sven99

Sven99 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Near where I live is a big Amazon distribution warehouse. Its only been built fairly recently, and has been doing a lot of recruiting recently - and as a result I've had a few friends get offers of work through agencies there. The agency staff have advised however that the company practises mandatory drug testing for new employees.

Now call me cynical, but whats the particular need to drug test warehouse staff? I'm considering writing them a letter to advise them they won't be getting any of my business because of this policy.

2. merlion497

merlion497 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I would guess that since you are going to be operating heavy machinery, or be around it, IE forklifts, insurance dictates that you need to be drug free. i have seen alot of my jobs drugtest because of this, they just need to cover their asses. Imagine if you are working and some high as hell dude cripples you with a forklift. the company wants to be able to say they took all the required precautions to prevent drug users from working there. That amazon is not held liable for it. This is all speculation, just what i figure.

3. Sven99

Sven99 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    That would make sense, if the test included a test for alcohol - the drug most likely to be used that would cause inebriation to the level that could be dangerous when operating machinery. However it doesn't. Since the majority of class A drugs are out of the system within a few days, its mostly going to catch pot-smokers - even if they only toke once a month, it'll still be in their system.

4. merlion497

merlion497 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Haha, you are correct. I never thought about the fact that alcohol wasn't part of those tests. Funny picturing someone stumbling into the office, passing a piss test, then stumbling back home with a new job having passed, ready to drnk more in celebration.