amber and tar?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by lunchgirl, Feb 3, 2004.

1. lunchgirl

lunchgirl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    what is the difference in amber opium and the black kind?

2. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    I'm going to preface this post to make clear that I've never even tried Opium. I was inspired by some posts in this forum to research the topic and posted some of what I learned, here.

All the data that I posted was confirmed through multiple sources from other forums and non-linked websites, so I'm confident that it is correct. (A simple newswritting technique that comes in handy doing any kind of research: ALWAYS double check your sources!)

As for Amber opium, it is my understanding that newly harvested opium is amber in color. Over time, it turns a darker (black) color.

How long it takes to start turning, I wouldn't know, though i would assume that the darker the amber of FRESH opium - the more potent it would portend to be.

As all organic material is subject to deterioration, I suspect older opium probably gets stale and color may be a significant indicator of freshness.

If anyone has first-hand information that is different (or to confirm), please post ; it would be good to know.

1. 4/5,
      Good explanation and answer to the OP's question
      Sep 10, 2010
  3. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Turkish opium is granular and of a rich light brown or reddish-brown colour. It has a strong, characteristic odour and bitter taste. Persian opium maybe undistinguishable from Turkey opium apart from the different packing. It is often oily, the oil being apparently added after the collection of the juice.

Indian opium is usually nearly black, homogeneous, and of less agreeable aroma than Turkish opium.

BA

4. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Most opuim poppy juice will turn black as it dries on the pod

BA

5. kitchkinet

kitchkinet Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    never seen amber opium, do you mean chunks of red hard plant resin? that's inscense. As for the black kind, chances are if it's bought in the USA it's black tar heroin or wild lettuce opium.