Ambien (Zolpidem) and Tolerance/Dependence

Discussion in 'Downers addiction' started by Nicaine, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I am really puzzled how the drug companies have pushed Ambien as a substance unlikely to cause tolerance, dependence or withdrawal symptoms. Well, doh... it's a short-acting medication taken *once per day*!

Imagine if they came out with a new Benzo called Xanax and said well, you take 1mg once/day (max) and that's it. Oh yeah, and it has very little potential for tolerance or dependence, when taken as prescribed! LOL.

Anyway... in SWIM's view, Zolpidem (A) does have a potential for tolerance, dependence, withdrawal symptoms and downright addiction if taken any more often than once nightly. Twice nightly could easily do it. Also, (B) reports of abuse have escalated because the stuff simply feels good/relaxing. Dunno about that nonsense regarding zolpidem's selectivity in terms of GABA receptors, but to this lab bunny it's more relaxing than klonopin and probably rivals Xanax in that department, even at the usual 10mg dosage. No way is Zolpidem a party drug, but man does it feel good when it starts coming on. Euphoric, peaceful, calm and uninhibited.... quite a combo. Light delusional thinking (mostly when SWIM's lying in bed in the dark) add an additional measure of charm to this pleasurable, easy-to-like substance.

I haven't noticed any overt tolerance yet -- he's working on a bottle of 30 pills prescribed late last month, and has 11 or 12 of them left. They'll likely be gone in less than a week, and I will have to go back to every-other-night sleep routines to stay on schedule... with the Ambien gone, he's gonna have to get used to actually being tired again at bedtime :D.

P.S. See Wikipedia's entry, in particular the section titled "Recreational Use and Abuse" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolpidem

Gotta love it... if Adderall is called "A+" on the street, they're calling Ambien "A-" ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. Ratoboran

Ratoboran Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Tolerance to Zolpidem

Hello.

I have been using Zolpidem for recreational purposes well over three months, in three dosages spread over 24 hrs (5+5+10 mg).SWIM's main motivation is the anxiolytic & euphoric kick from it.During the last few days the effect is noticeably milder.I am also using some Alprazolam together, in combo.

My question is: is there a way to renew SWIM's old sensitivity to Zolpidem's proeuphoric effect, for it seems that SWIM developed tolerance.To be precise, SWIM contemplated cold turkey pause, but this seems impractical, as I am overtly dependent on the sedative effect of Zolpidem.

3. ojos_de_brujo

ojos_de_brujo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Tolerance to Zolpidem

Swim posted about this in the combined Ambien thread.
    Maybe it's just Swim, but Swim never got back the effect she had the first times she used Zolpidem.

4. Ratoboran

Ratoboran Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: Tolerance to Zolpidem

SWIM experience is simmilar to you.SWIM's reaction to Zolpidem progressively diminished during the first week of introduction.Gone are times when only 10 Mg of Zolpidem could provide two hours of pleasant buzz, relaxation and euphoria equal to potency to,say,a handful of valiums.No matter how I used to change the regime of Zolpidem intake, that stuff ain't such a killer substance it used to be when I was neophyte.

5. madmatt3d

madmatt3d Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Australia
    Hmmmm.... I have been taking Zolpidem recreationalyl for over a year.

Now, the drug doesn't effect swim at all. Last time (about 2 months ago) I took 60 mg..... And nothing happened, I didnt even feel sleepy.

I have tried multiple times and still the same thing happens. I took 40mg about 30 minutes ago, and zilch.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?! My tolererance is so bad that it doesnt even do ANYTHING to him now! And he has tried not taking it for monthhhhhhhs and the same issue. Any thoughts?

6. Adrasteia

Adrasteia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have the same problem. The tolerance just never diminishes. The effect she had in the beginning never came back.
    I haven't used zolpidem now in seven months, and is still craving it from time to time. It was always the drug of the last resort for her, but since tolerance had built up, she needed at last 60 mgs to be able to sleep.
    One morning she woke up to find an empy box of zolpidem next to her on the floor, a prescription she had just filled before she went to sleep. I had taken 300 mgs of zolpidem without even remembering doing so.
    Doctors keep pretending zolpidem is harmless, but it's vicious.

7. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  8. psilocybley

psilocybley Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A friend of SWIM told me that he thinks that brand name Ambien is stronger than generic, says generic ambien just doesn't do it for him. I think Ambien is better for the euphoria it causes than for sleep, as the abuse potential is too high, and once one develops a tolerance for it than it's a bitch to get to sleep.

I recommend Rozerem. Rozerem is a melatonin reuptake inhibitor, so it doesn't work the same way that Ambien, Lunesta and Sonata do. I find that it works great for insomnia even when tolerance builds up, as it seems to correct the wake-sleep cycle, meaning I am sleepier when bedtime approaches and he wakes up with less difficulty, though it should be noted that there isn't much of a happy-glowy buzz like there is with Ambien.

Ambien isn't approved for daily use for longer than two weeks, Lunesta is but neither one of them does much to actually fix what wrong.

I find that taking melatonin supplements potentiates the effects of rozerem, so even when tolerance is built up, it's possible to overcome that with a little melatonin.

9. photonamp

photonamp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.K.
    Zolpidem made SWIM extremely outgoing (almost like mdma at first). SWIM Never noticed any physical dependence on these. I used to take this with caine. 5 to 10mg with good strong lines. Other times as little as 2.5mg before tollerance set in.

The relaxation coupled with calm confidence was like mdma for SWIM. At the time I had severe social phobia. This combo gave SWIM a life during the weekend for a short time. This helped SWIM discover a whole new side to his personality.

When it was time for SWIM to quit cold turkey. My feelings of dred started to kick in. But these can be dealt with by diazepam autotaper of a loading dose of 20 to 30mg. (I had no problems after that and its been 3 years)

Swim can only get zopiclone. I believe zolpidem has some kind of serotonin binding sites, or serotonin modulation. as there are times My says they feel like psyilcybin, or mdma.

10. Matt The Funk

Matt The Funk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I thought zolpidem had deleriant properties?

11. oxynomo

oxynomo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    57 y/o
    Ambien gave swim extremely crazy.pyscho type dreams,lotta sleep walkingand he does not remember takin about a dozen of those pills in one night.Whereas the Lunesta if you take bou 3 is way more like being on a couple 10mg valiums.Only problem with both dont' keep swim asleep more than 2-3 hours at normal dose.Luck to all.o:cool:

12. humdroid

humdroid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Y found that a good fortnight off zolpidem (having taken 10-20mgs a night for a week) gets tolerance back down again, and the 10mgs dose works for sleep.

Everyone is diffferent, but Y finds that although you are allowed to take zolpidem for upto 14days, Y finds it stops working after 3-4 days.
    Rather than up the dose, this is where Y will knock them on the head for a few days.

Y has a few fortnight breaks a year off of these, and is on one of them now.
    Y is using herbal sleep aids in the breaks.
    Y does not have a schedule, insomnia probably helped him lose a few jobs, but would possibly suggest a fortnight out of the schedule, to remove pressure of the timetable.
    This way, if insomnia makes You wake up at 11am - he wont get into trouble from his boss as he is on leave. :)

13. humdroid

humdroid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Non benzo hypnotic, with abuse potential.

When Y first took these, he noted how they felt when the effects of 10mg came on (as you do) - Y first compared the feeling similar to having a tiny teeny bump of ketamine.
    Y knows ket is dissociative, and that Zolps have no dissociative properties, but he still thinks they are like but the tiniest bump of ket.

Y's tolerance came back whenever he had 2week/3week breaks off them.
    Y has never, however used them more than 5 consecutive days, as he felt there was no point, as they seemed to stop working.

Y agrees they have massive abuse potential, but Y has a big ego, so when he finds himself on day 4 or 5 of use, he feels he has to stop, to avoid feeling like a weakling.
    This does not mean, other people are weaklings, who use more than Y.
    Y is only talking about his relationship to drugs, and how he has had the biggest struggle with himelf, rather than the drugs, - hence the need to satisfy his ego, by proving to himself he can go without.
    Sopppy, Y knows, he should grow up. hehehehehhehehhehhe :D

ps He is allowed 10mg tonight, so ego can rest easy. He missed his dose last night, but should maybe have taken it, as he never slept a wink.
    Y will go before he bores himself to sleep.

14. Retinoidreceptor

Retinoidreceptor Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am amazed people find Zolpidem as a euphoria inducing, amazing drug. I took it for sleeping problems, and he loved it but began having problems and would never take it around anyone. He remembers talking to a picture in the computer that was smiling or talking to 'people' standing around his bed. He stopped when one night he found himself at the edge of a lake looking into the water seeing images of people dancing and wanting to walk in when a burst of lightning flashed and a loud roll of thunder shook SWIM out of delerium where he woke up the next morning on the floor of his house. Drugs affect SWIM badly, all of them, but Zolpidem perhaps is one of the most dangerous things he has ever taken and he believes people like HEATH LEDGER overdosed due to Ambien because Ambien can make you do things.

15. jarichon

jarichon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from lithuania
    About 3 mos ago, I was diagnosed with osa, and got my first cpap machine. My psychiatrist prescribed ambien for me, and told me that though people did build up a tolerance, it tended to taper off after a while, and that ambien was non addictive.

So I started using it regularly because it really helped me fall asleep and the cpap helped me stay asleep. For the first time in several years, I would occassionally (when my mask didn't slip out of position) get a really good night's sleep.

However now I am taking 12.5 mg of ambiencr (highest rx dose there is), and the last 2 nights it hasn't worked at all. I called the ambien product site, and the pharmacist told me that though Ambien is not addictive, you do build up a tolerance to it, and also that it is not recommended you quit cold turkey.

I am scared and have been crying off and on all day. I've tried to reach my dr but he hasn't called me back. I think I have to stop taking the ambien but I don't know how to do it. I also don't know how I am going to fall asleep now. It's been a couple of days, and I am starting to feel really emotional and crazed.

How do you all quit taking the stuff? Should I just expect not to sleep for the next week or so? I would be very greatful for any advice..don't think I am going to take it tonight.

16. Slipin

Slipin Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    hey jarichon
    i know your pain . my cousin recently suicided due to home bake heroin stuff and swy was the one to find him .. after seing that swy couldnt sleep for 3 days !! swy was taking 30-50 10mg blue roche valium and 2-3 nitrazapam and wash it down with a bottle of wine but still no joy .. but am returning to norm now thank god!!.. the best method is to taper witch is good if u have te self restraint but swys a bit of a buzz junki and takes more than he realy should so when swim runs out he just cold turkys it .. try some natural stuff as well to calm and help u sleep . its no benzo or s/pill but it does help take the edge off .. swims been on ambien for the last 2 weeks and had my last 6 10mg tabs last nite so its c/turky for me as well!! i find exersise if u can be arsed or maybe some poids for the first few nights but be carfull cause the body gets used to them quick as well .. depending on your size and stature i cant advise amounts but for me 6'2 85kgs not super fit can handle 40mg's straght up with no tolerance and still wake in the morn fine but thats me . and what aload of crap that they said ambien ant addictive !!! its nota benzo so to speak but is still just as addictive in my experiance ! and as far as comming of traqulizers go id say that ambien is the easiest to kick !! so in short
    opt 1 if u wana stop- tapering is the best way
    opt 2 -or cold turky withsome herbs or vitamins
    opt 3 - do both .. eather way u wil still find it a lil hard to sleep for a nite or 3
    if u wana keep goin
    opt1- me personaly think if u have no underlying conditions mostly with breathing id just double your dose and u should be fine !!
    opt2 -change to another benzo . but they all are addictive as each other more or less u just have to weigh up the pros/cons of staying on or maybe just taking somthing 2-3 times a week and that should be enough to keep ur tolerance down so ur ambien/benzo works and let u catch up on any lost sleep .

hope it helps !!
    slipin

Slipin added 88 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

was just seing how ur experiance was quite like my own . after 3 days without sleep not even micro naps or just an hour a day none at all !! even with all the benzos in the world !! i went to the docs crying and as u said emotaly all over the place and being a guy was so scary !! wasnt the amount of drugs I was taking thAT SCARED him but how crazaly emotional i got!! then on the 3rd day without any stims i went pre-phaseik and could hardly communicate and that fucken scared the shite out of me but that arvo I had a few benzos and was laying in bed surfing the net and i just blacked out for about 12 hours waking up with my laptop on my lap still on !! but that was a rare case but the point im trying to make is that although u feal crazy and just looped out in general when ur body has had enough it will just reset like it did with me !! but yeah as a big burly kinda bloke who dosent get upset easy little alone cry !! i was thinking suicide my self but as we all know life is such a gift and we realy do live in a magical place and i think its somthing that untill u have experianced rock bottom and start to think life realy dosent look like its worth living !! and u get that suicidal rush thats like your standing on a cliff endge and ur leaning fwd just about to fall , and at that moment when it feals like a million butterflys in your stomach and u react on impulse to (if u are strong enough)you pull your self back !!! but if your not the butterflys adrenalin bypasses all socal, reason and in stead off that impulse to pull back from the cliff your subcontious survival mechanisms cause u to suicide !! and thats realy scary and a place that i can say i never want to go again !! but saying that it has given me a whole new appreciation off life and what it means to me !! and the answer was right in front off me the whole time !! happynies !!! and what it meant to me !! be it money ,family ,magical drugs with all the highs and no lows !!lol!! i know i have gone way beyond your question and god forbid u will never have to fall that far comming off ambien . its nice to know that if or when u do hit rock bottom witch on drugz is easy to do !! their is and will be a way back up and when u climb up and out of those dark and nightmarish places u will be all the stronger for it !! words cant express those places but to pull a positive out of it and realy start to enjoy the world and u come to think how much u had to lose even if it was just life it self !! so those off us who are recovering from tragedy or drugz just know that their are others who have been their and their will be others still to go .. and its that leaning fwd about to fall off a cliff fealing of butterflys and adrenalin blinding all reason that u chose all be it on a subconsious level , eather life or death !! and my cousin chose death due to drugz and i chose life . so if u are in emotional termoil and lost all hope . just go for a walk through the bush and sit down and i was never a spiritual person (typical alfa male) but beleve that their is a force of energy flowing through all living things and when it picks up an unbalanced "force" like the flow off water down a dry cracked creak bed filling all the little cracks and creveses .. its not as obvious as that but i beleve and have experianced when i was right their on the edge lost all hope about to jump a massive fealing of calm washed over me... honestly felt like i was peakin on e . and thats when i turned and started climbing back up !! so any one out their who's suicidal its nothing to be ashamed off its just a part of being human and your brain trying to correct its self or reboot .. i just hope that this post will give somone some where that little push back and think that u can get through it and people have gotten through it weather u belive in god or who ever but just look for sighns.. for me it was picking a flower and and it closed up straght away and i felt realy bad inside (force /god/etc) that id just killed this thing and for me was the begining of my new life with even stronger foundations and a strong beleif and know how off what i want to accomplish in life and that ive staired death in the face and chose to live and experiance as much happyness as i posibly can and remember those dark moments if only to show myselff how life and happyness can shatter the darkness !! and hopefully teach others that their not alone and arnt crazy and even if your a mucho guy like i used to be can stumble and fall and be compleatly an utterly broken thAT u can survive !! and not only survive but been given an understanding of how precious life is that no book or word can describe what its like !!!!

Novel by slipin mc slip !!lol

yeah yeah !!! so i had a couple of duramine !!lol

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  17. drugfreesoon

drugfreesoon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o from U.S.A.
    I started with one Ambien (10mg) and the tolerance grew tremendously! After a couple of weeks I was up to 40-50mg a week and doctor shopping for them. After taking that much I started getting into trouble each time I took them. I was arrested twice in one year. Once for running down the road in my underwear at 1am with a remote control in my hand (that was embarassing). The other time I thought I could make it to the store to get a pack of cigs before it took effect. I ended up 20 miles down the interstate before getting pulled over and ofcourse ended up in jail for the second time. Sure it feels good but it totally takes control of me and I screw up one way or another each time. Each time I quit I would go into withdrawal the next evening with NO sleep for a couple of days and also having panic episodes. Ambien sent me to the emergency room three times and to detox once and has cost me almost $8,000.00 for fines, emergency rooms, etc. Thank god that is all behind me and wish that I never took the stuff. Some nights I would take 8-12 pills and not know it and do some pretty stupid things. I am 1.5 years clean and look back at how Ambien took over my life and temporaraly ruined it.:s

Tags: