Amphetamine and the Lungs

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by Swing, May 16, 2006.

1. Swing

Swing Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    SWIM's average prescribed dose of dexedrine is 30 mg/day but over the past months that I have been prescribed it he's noticed that his lungs are begining to hurt and feel sore on the comedown. Sometimes the annoying pain kind of attaches itself to his arm in a wierd way. I know that bronchodialation occurs and is wondering if the pain is a result of that. I have done lots of research but can't find anything conclusive. SWIM hopes it's not lung scaring and should be careful if his left arm hurts but he's in shape and knows his body and is used to stimulants. Does anybody have some insight?

2. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Yup, cut down on the dexies my friend, and go see your doctor asap. The symptoms you describe are not good, and the fact that it causes pain in your left arm is more than a tad worrying... Get yourself to the doctor, get your blood pressure checked. High blood pressure is a common side effect of dexedrine and can lead to the symptoms you describe, as well as further complications such as inflammation of the heart muscle and angina.

3. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Micklemouse's advice in definitely sound. Your pain may be largely psychosomatic, perhaps assocaited with the way you are sitting as amphetmines make people tense. I can't see why dexedine would scar your lungs.

It seems very likely that if you cut down on the dexies, or better stop them, the pain will not be important any more.

4. Allex

Allex Newbie

Reputation Points:
    my had exactly that. A kind-of soreness in the lungs. He noticed it when he took way too much amph (not overdose but close). All he did was stop taking it for a few days and they felt better (as did the rest of him after that near OD). Hes been taking it quite regularly since but never as much and they've never felt like that since. SWIM also used to get asthma but hardly ever now. When he took a puff of ventolin (bronchodilator) it cleared his lungs and he could breathe again but he noticed a soreness as well when he breathed in. It must be the same thing I think - too much bronchodilation. I would advise you to just come off the dex for a while or at least lower the dose. It certainly won't scar your lungs.