An (Interesting!?) personal outlook on addiction

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by izzy31, Nov 13, 2006.

1. izzy31

izzy31 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from turkmenistan
    I'm feeling productive and chose to write this thread I thought may sound interesting and unique, or like one the most insanely-idiotic things you've ever heard. I'm not drunk or high, but am slightly sleep deprived and I can feel the change in thought and mood but it's nothing.

Why is it that those who label, criticize, and judge others as "drug addicts" think it's their job to tell you that?

Before you take into account everyone's judgemental comments, you may want to ask yourself:

-Why does everyone think they're a licensed commissioner?
    -Who are they to say whether or not someone has a problem?
    -Do I even know this guy?
    -What lead everyone to believe it's their place to let you know about your substance abuse problem?

What I mean:

It seems everyone has their own definition of what a substance abuse problem is. And, everyone thinks their definition is correct, and then expects the whole world to function and think like they do. You know why? They're hypocrites basically. Example: A doctor might say you've got a substance abuse problem if you so much as have 1 drink more than the legal limit (not the driving limit, the limit of the legal level of intoxication), but then gets REAL hammered at a party or other occasion and thinks it's perfectly fine - About everyone (even doctors) have their own definition of a substance use problem so they can rationalize what they do. A person's definition of substance problem is conviently suitable for them. By having their own definition, they are able to rationalize whatever drug or alcohol use they do themselves with rules or guidelines about druge use. These are limits that are specially fitted to one person's habit that the world is expected to live accoring to. A person may think "Drinking a full bottle of vodka every night definitely means you have a problem and need help...unless they've earned it by having a long hard day at work". Get it? People actually believe their own bullshit and are able to judge everyone else without being feeling like a hypocrite for doing the same thing - the rules/guidelines that determine an addict are made to fit one's habit are the result of rationalizations and excuses combined.

BUT WHY?

I still don't understand why people do this though. Why do people bother to make such a pointless attempt to force their beliefs on others? I can only guess that it's a dominant-superior thing that people who feel guilty about doing a substance does to block out the guilt....

What I believe:

My personal opinion on this is different from the one you'd hear from teachers, police, Mothers against drug existence (haha), and any other anti-drug source.

I believe that if a drug is causing serious health or legal issues and is the source of most of your problems, it's recommended that you stop.

It's not a question of whether or not its a problem. Life itself is a giant train-wreck for anyone who would doesn't like conflicts.

(Notice how it's not just the sentence "Say No to Drugs" or something sounding like "Drugs:The reason that all bad things happen"?)

My own situation is firmly this -

I'm not going to argue with anyone who says I've got a problem with speed. But until speed stops helping me be productive, feel positive, stay focused, remain social, and makes life have meaning again, I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. It's kept controlled, non-threatening, and believe it or not, taken orally 99% of the time (yep it's true). The bottom line is it's doing positive things to my life I'm sure wouldn't happen without it, which would consist literally of me unemployed, living with my father, sleeping 20 hours a day and eating unreal amounts of food when I am awake, completely anti-social, and too miserable to care about or do anything at all. Don't like life without it. I actually hate about every aspect of living when I don't have it. But I always have so at least I know the speed isn't making my sober (also called suicidal) life anymore miserable. This will probably sound like a tell-tale sign that someone's been drinking (which I havnt) but here it goes: LIVE LIFE SUCCESSFULLY WHILE USING AMPHETAMINES. Rare but not impossible.

1. 5/5,
      good rant
      Nov 15, 2006
    2. 5/5,
      very well thought out.
      Nov 14, 2006
  2. Wflash

Wflash Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Interesting outlook - addiction

I largely agree with you, you know. Better living through chemistry can be done. However there are an awful lot of potential pitfalls, and most people don't manage to avoid them for ever.

A few thousand years ago human existance was hand to mouth in a difficult and dangerous world. Every day would have been an adventure just to get through to the end of it fed and alive. For those of us lucky enough to live in a first world society where we don't really want for anything to survive, many of us have too much spare brain capacity to just accept and enjoy a straight/sober life and the best society offers. Why should it be good enough?

That's why we turn to religion, chemical abuse, or even extreme feckin' sports! Don't insult me by telling me a family, a house, kids and a job making somebody else money for a salary should make me peacefully happy with the world and my place in it.

3. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Re: Interesting outlook - addiction

I agree with a great deal of the OP as well. Nobody can tell anyone they're "addicted" except the person who, uhhm, believes they're addicted! Nor can anyone make anybody else stop using (even the 12 step programs & treatment industry realize that).

As far as the reason people *attempt* to get others to believe they're addicts or that they need to stop using, there are any number of reasons... probably hundreds or thousands of possible reasons. People would probably do this even if they knew it was useless, just on the "hope" that they'd convince the person. As far as SWIM sees it... it's their right to make such pointless attempts, just as it's the target's right to reject them and continue doing what they please.

4. liarliar

liarliar Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I largely agree drugs are stigmatized by society and the majority of people don't actually know about the positive effects they may have, the only thing they can relate it too is the word "addiction".
    I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone who worries and is close to you to bring up the question of whether you're addicted, but their reasoning may often be flawed, because they don't understand the drug or the positive things you're getting out of it - they just see it as a chemical that you are constantly ingesting, however for most people, taking drugs on a regular basis DOES turn into a problem soon enough.
    The question is, are these people telling you you're an addict because they see a change in your personality/negative effects (a PROBLEM) or do they do it because they just "don't like" drugs.

To me, personally, taking something every day would be classed as an addiction (if you are unable to stop it), but if it improves your life rather than damage it, it's not a problem, so the point is to distinguish between the two.

Either way I dislike the word "addict" because of its negative connotations...it's like "junkie"...which leads onto "scum"...