Combinations - Antidepressants and Psychedelics

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by mouthwater, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    According to an article on erowid:
    Now, I have been on SSRIs before, a few years ago during a very troubling period of their life that s/he does not wish to repeat to his/her fellow yous. I am consideration medication now because s/he may be undergoing a "transitional" period, where s/he abandons old friends and locations and inhabits new places with new people. SWIM figures the SSRIs will help with this transition, even though they may or may not affect his or her genitalia's functioning.

SWIM can't tell if s/he should pick an antidepressant based on what is written above. I amn't going on an antidepressant because s/he is crazy, and s/he plans on using recreational drugs in the meantime (of course, with proper research, as always). I am hence considering tricyclic antidepressants because they are clearly more beneficial when it comes to using drugs. I have tried finding other studies showing the same correlation as the erowid report has, but hasn't found anything.

Does You know if tricyclic antidepressants really don't decrease a response to psychedeliks (or, does You know if tricyclic antidepressants do increase a response to psychedeliks)?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: SSRIs and Psychedeliks

One thing that I wouldn't recommend, is mixing prozac with LSD. I have read no research to back this up, although he hasn't looked, however once during SWIM's first year of college a friend of his had taken some acid, was tripping and having a good time as he normally did while tripping. Then some people showed, one of whom gave SWIM's friend a prozac. SWIM suggested that his friend who was tripping on LSD not take it, because I had always been very cautious about combining drugs without doing his research. SWIM's friend however was the local lab rat and never hesitated to take anything. I don't know if something else triggered this or if it was a direct result of the prozac, but SWIM's friend started vomitting black stuff and was spun into the trip from hell. SWIM's friend crawled into bed with him crying because he thought he was dying. So all night I had to lay there with his whacked out friend, reassuring him that he wasn't going to die.

Like I say, he doesn't know if it was the prozac or not, but SWIM's friend hadn't taken anything else that he was aware of... SWIM strongly suspects that it was the prozac that had caused the bad trip...

3. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

On another page, Erowid read:
    Apparently, tricyclics increase the effects of LSD, and affect the trip negatively? Are there any SSRIs that don't reduce the effects of, or mix piss poorly with, LSD? Any other you's have personal accounts to share?

4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  5. _caesar_

_caesar_ Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I have experiance with Seroxat an SSRI and MDMA, he noticed that it deiminished the empathic effect and that the amphetamine like effects were more prounounced. At the time he was a pill gobbling little raver a and would try to compinsate with more...

He cant remember if this really worked.

I am wondering if any body out there has experiance with SSRIs or SNRIs and Phenetylamines namely 2C-B ?

6. Taj

Taj Newbie

Reputation Points:

This past winter break I was on zoloft at 100 mg/day and also had ready access to many psychadelics at VERY low prices (in many cases free) so SWIM decided to experiment first hand to see how SSRIs would react to varying levels of psychadelics.

I found that at varying doses of 1/8-3/8 of psilocybin there was no noticed difference from the effects which I had felt before having taken any SSRIs.

I found that hits of LSD (ranging from 1-4 tabs) were still effective, but the trip was much less intense than I had previously experienced.

I found that 2CE & 2CI responded in a similar fashion to LSD in the fact that it was a noticable differention than that of daily reality, but not as strong as previous encounters with the chemicals had been.

While on SSRIs SWIM also found the most intense trip of his life. This trip was brought about by taking 20 mgs of Ambien and then 15-20 minutes later smoking 1 average sized bowl of marijuana. I do not know if the SSRIs played any role in how intense this trip was, but he felt it was worth noting.

I would not reccomend this much experimentation to anyone in such a short time period (3 weeks) as shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and is experiencing many symptoms which feel almost as if he is living in a permanant trip. He does not know if it is due to the intensity of the experiences and how many he encountered in such a short period of time, or if it was as the psychiatrist (who is unaware of SWIM's experiences with psychadelics) claims is a result of SWIM's IQ.

SWIM hopes this information has been helpful as it is all from first hand experience.

7. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Thanks Taj for the original research.

8. hoodabudda

hoodabudda Silver Member

Reputation Points:

what about with marijuana? I has herd that people take lexapro(not sure of chemical) or zoloft(sertaline) 2 hours before smoking a bowl will "make you trip face".

9. Graduisic

Graduisic Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.

I take citalopram 40mg per day. smokes marijuana daily and still enjoys the buzz. he seemed to have a more introspective trip on shrooms, and has had some of the most intense DXM trips of his life, he has a very strong tolerance to it and will always down 3 bottles of zicam cough mist and he will trip for approx 24 hours. seems to lengthen the comedown process. after experiencing a usual 4th plateau trip, he will find himself tripping on 2nd plateau for a full day after the full trip is over. swimmers inexperienced with upper level DXM trips would probably have a pyschotic break, but with swim's constant abuse of DXM for 5 years straight now, it has done its damage, and the damage is nothing worse than the damage done by the citalopram itself. MDMA wont cause one to roll if someone is taking an SSRI, it's a waste.

10. Lethargy

Lethargy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I had taken prozac daily for about a year prior to ever trying psychedelics...

DXM = much longer lasting
    LSD = not sure as the first three or so times he used it he had prozac in his system but he tripped just fine
    Mushrooms = tripped just fine on prozac
    E = didn't work, went up... up... 30 mins into it ran into a ceiling

keep in mind that the SSRI may have lowered the potency of the 'cid and 'shrooms but due to unknown potencies from street drugs SWIM can't know for sure

11. kalininin

kalininin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium

12. wykydtron

wykydtron Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Re: SSRIs and Psychedelics

I have taken both LSD and Mushrooms while on a high dose of effexor, and reacted more strongly than other people taking the same LSD or Mushrooms. The stronger reaction probably didn't have anything to do with the effexor - SWIM reacts strongly to most drugs. The point is the effexor didn't diminish the effects. Also, the experiences were positive.

13. stonedphilosopher

stonedphilosopher Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

First post wooo!

For what it's worth, I know a little bit about this, in a way. I know a guy who took Prozac (fluoxetine) for depression for about 6 months in college. If I remember right, he took 10 mg at first, then 20 mg. During this time, he took LSD three times. The first two times he took about 2 hits and the trip was exactly as normal, only with NO visuals. Literally, take a list of LSD's effects on you and just cross out everything visual, that's what this guy had. He loved it and found that it gave the experience a more edgy/trippy effect to have the mental trip and yet no visuals. The third time, he took about 5 or 6 hits of very strong liquid and had the strongest, best trip of his life, including visuals, and that trip was such a great experience that it lifted him out of a depression that had lasted a few weeks at that point.

Take it for what it's worth. I think SSRIs "block" LSD in a way, but the blocking seems to affect the visuals a lot more than the overall trip. With enough LSD, one still trips, hard. And I think arguably the antidepressant/mood lift effects of SSRIs could positively influence a trip (although, for the person in this post, SSRIs never seemed to do much for his mood anyway).

14. merecat

merecat Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from swaziland

I have taken lsd whilst on daily does of cymbalta. SWIM experienced a very degraded lsd experience- some small perception/thought disturbances, not worth it.

SWIM also consumed a baggie of psilocybin shrooms whilst taking her daily 60mg dose of cymbalta. The baggie would have produced a decent shroom trip were it not for the cymbalt. Again, it was hardly worth it.

15. spacelord

spacelord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Germany

Hey buddy hope You is recovering. It would be cool to have another post (maybe it belongs in pharmacology) about substance induced mental health issues like you's. What schizophrenic smptoms are there and how intense is this this prolonged trip.

Doubt that one. Could only happen if those 2 differ a lot from oder ADs in terms of their mode of action.

Any nasty side effects from citalopram? Permanent damage induced by its use?

Ayahuasca brews work because of MAOI(s). DMT by iself wouldn't do a thing. As a generel rule: no MAOIS with SSRI as everybody should actually.

It would be a good thing if someone would talk to a med. doctor or pharmacologist at what doses of both the SSRI+MAOI could be safely taken together.

As for the effect on the trip, I am afraid he has no clue.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. kalininin

kalininin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium

17. spacelord

spacelord Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Germany

Why does You laugh at that? It's not mainly about "drug abuse". There must be some info around combining SRIs and MAOIs esp. if there are safe doses. And only after obtaining that information I would consider taking any MAOI even in small amounts. Safety first. Risking serotonin syndrome does not seem to be a good idea in SWIM's view. He'd rather not trip.

18. sveedish

sveedish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm not on SSRI's, however her friend's pet-lab-monkey really wants to trip, but her friend's pet-lab-monkey is also on 50mgs of zoloft a day (prescribed for anxiety, depression) and 10mg of saphris (prescribed as mood stabilizer). Specifically I'm worried about her taking 4-aco-dmt, or 2ci. I've read that SSRI's can have a dampening effect, but I'm not so worried about my friends pet-lab-monkey not tripping hard enough...she is a super light weight, and will probably be happy with wtv she takes. I've heard that the effects of 2ci with its rolling quality is more likely to be diminished than say 4-aco-dmt. My REAL FEAR is that taking these substances could trigger some kind of atypical reaction in her, e.g., serotonin syndrome. How realistic are my fears?

I couldn't find anything specifically on the internet about these substances- just blanket warning statements and disclaimers which actually seemed to be more specifically warning against tricyclics and MAOI's and they just mentioned the possibility of SSRI's as an after thought. However I really need to make sure because I would feel really terrible if my friend's pet-lab-monkey had a bad reaction. Is anyone familiar with reports of serotinin syndrome induced by the combination of 2c-x, or 4-aco-dmt or other similar substances such as 4-ho-met or magic mushrooms? Also if it is determined that this is a relatively safe combination, how much should she have to increase the dosage so that she can feel it? She's trying to trip sometime soonish, any info would be great.

[I hope I'm posting in the right place...also I didn't know whether to start a new thread or post her coz this thread looks old]

-> THANKS

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  19. rgnomsayin

rgnomsayin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I am also very curious about the interaction btween 4-aco-dmt and SSRI's, AFOAF has asked me about this, as s/he is curious about trying 4-aco-dmt, however they do not know how receptive their body would be. I have only found information on MAOI's, and unfortunately I have no knowledge of how these chemicals would interact with SSRI's with respect to AFOAF. Specifially, they are taking 450mg Buproprion, 10mg Escitalopram, 0.5mg Clonazepam, and 150mg Quetiapine daily, to address his/her depression and anxiety. AFOAF has read about the positive effects of 4-aco-dmt i.e. increased serotonine levels and is curious to find out how dmt and SSRI's would interact. Any information you can give me that I will be able to relay to AFOAF would be most appreciated.