1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Side effects - Any else experience these strange and painful side effects from injecting heroin?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Cynder, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Ive been using heroin for almost 2 years. In the last couple months I've had some strange side effects, and I'm wondering what it could be. Right after I inject, especially when using a lot, I get these stinging/tingling/itchy-like sensations that starts on my head around my scalp, then goes down my body, it feels like it travels along my veins and feels weird and kinda hurts a lot sometimes. Anyone else ever experience this or know what is may be? I can't think of why. I also break out in rash-like bumps that itch along the veins I shot and the heroin travels down, without missing, it only last a few minutes. I hope there's no such thing as an allergy to heroin.

2. lfrider92

lfrider92 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    im not sure about the singing tingling feeling your describing. i get that when i IV large doses of morphine sulfate pills, and its very unpleasant and hurts to me, only last 45 seconds to minute for me though. but ive also read here thats common when IV'ing morphine pills. might be something similar somone else can elaborate on.

and the rash like bumps your talking about are fairly common, ive read on this site in several places that its a histamine reaction. first few times it happened to me it scared me really badly, i thought i did something wrong and would have to go to the hospital. depending on the batch of Heroin i get i get that reaction, its never stopped me from using though. if you take a benadryl 30 minutes+/- before you inject, it should help with that if its a problem for you.

3. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If its a histamine reaction can that be harmful? Sometimes it gets pretty bad.

4. fleadom

fleadom Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I get that too, and it seems to be the exact same symptoms. Right after injection within the first 5 seconds I'll get "pins and needles" type of tingling stinging type of sensation on the scalp, then traveling down to hands and feet. It seems to happen when I inject larger amounts, even if i don't feel very "high" afterwards.

The only thing I've noticed that seems to (could be a placebo effect, but it seems to work for me) help is splashing cold water on my face or the area that is itching and just scratching it and waiting until it passes (they normally last no longer than about 15 seconds for me). Other than that, I don't know what it is, why it is, or what can be done to avoid this.

Anyone who has any info would be appreciated.

p.s. this is with black tar...

5. Rimbauda

Rimbauda Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    There is such a thing as a true allergy to heroin.

Google it. There's also some info on allergies to H on this site as well. These allergies could manifest itself in myriad ways, from pruritus to anaphylactic shock (which is often fatal).

Many people are able to control minor allergic side effects by taking an antihistamine about 30 minutes before the H, but actually it's a very good idea to read plenty about these allergic reactions because they're no joke. Indeed, research is being done on how often deaths attributed to ODs are really fatal allergic reactions.

Also, remember that taking an antihistamine potentiates the effects of H, so compensate accordingly.

6. westie420uk

westie420uk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    The "stinging/tingling/itchy-like sensations that starts on my head around my scalp, then goes down my body" sounds like the ruch you get from a good hit! When i used to IV heroin i would feel this all the time from a big hit.
    What type of heroin are you using, is it tar, #3 or #4? I'm from England we NEVER get tar or the rest of the time we only get #3. With #3 you have to add citric acid to help break down the heroin so you can inject it. If you add to much you sometimes get citric burn that will leave symptoms like you describe. From what i have heard about tar heroin it already had citric added to it so you only need to add water to it. Maybe the batch could contain too much citric? #4 does not need anything to help it break down. Hope this info helps!

7. fleadom

fleadom Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thanks westie

That does help, that's what I suspected it to be when I read OP's post. Definitely relate to that. That its from a big dose IV'd. With tar, swim never tried #3 or #4.

8. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Westie - i have been using heroin for awhile and I too know very well what a good rush feels like, but what I described has been happening more recently and is separate from the rush. It even ruins the rush sometimes because its painful/itchy and intense and scary at times.

9. eggomyeggo

eggomyeggo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from Canada
    I had a very similar reaction tonight but only without any bumps. I asked a nurse at the supervised injection site and she said to only be concerned if I had red bumps appear over my arm. The nurse said if I had red bumps around the injection site or else where appear after injecting that it could be anaphylactic shock. I wouldn't use the stuff your using because people die from symptoms your describing. Try using from another source. Anaphylactic shock is an extreme allergic reaction so your friends using the same stuff would probably be just fine.

10. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    That's what I'm worried about but hasn't happened yet. Even more recently, once the stinging and itching dies down I get this hot, flushed sensation come over me and I feel warm and feel like I turn red (though I haven't looked in the mirror). I have used differ stamps and it still happens so I'm pretty sure it's the heroin itself.

11. Soma Cruz

Soma Cruz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sounds like a global histamine reaction. You have all of the characteristics of a histamine reaction: redness, itching, heat, and (probably) swelling which would account for the pain. It can happen with any opiate; the heroin itself causes it, not the cut. Basically the drug triggers an allergic-type response from your mast cells, which release histamine near your blood vessels, leading to blood vessel dilation and an inflammatory response. It is more likely to occur when you miss or hit an artery, but it can potentially happen even if you make the shot entirely into a vein. It's nothing really to worry about provided that you hit a vein and not an artery. This reaction is actually not very strange or uncommon at all, but some folks experience it more often than others.

However, if it bothers you, you can take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or another antihistamine it should go away.

12. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well for me it doesn't matter if I hit a vein or artery because once its in my blood I start to feel the reaction from my head down to my feet. I also rarely miss anyway. Thanks for all the info, I'm gonna go look for some Benadryl ;)

13. Soma Cruz

Soma Cruz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Actually, the path that you describe for the reaction sounds more you're hitting a vein, because the drug is going to your heart first, then distributed throughout the body. If you hit an artery, the reaction would go down the limb you hit only, in the direction away from the heart. The other reason it matters is because a histamine reaction from an artery shot can be dangerous/fatal, but venous histamine reactions are generally benign (assuming you don't have a true allergy to dope).

But yes, I can't recommend the benadryl enough, you can even take it ahead of time like someone mentioned and prevent the reaction from occurring for the most part!

14. chr1s5opherr

chr1s5opherr Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    26 y/o from U.K.
    Trust me it matters big time if you hit a vein or an artery, from saying that I'm going to assume you have never hit an attery as it is one of the most excruciating pains you will ever feel not to mention how dangerous it can be, anyway I know I am reserecting An old post but it is because I came here to post about exactly the same subject and I thought it would better to to this than tart a new thread,

Ocasionslly I experience exactly the same thing 5/10 seconds after injecting I get sharp almost painfull pins & needles in my head witch completely replaced the rush I would normally get, this only happens with what I would otherwise describe as good gear and only when I am using large doses, I have been using form 5 years and injecting for 2 of those years, (Just a side note if you don't already inject don't start bar the rush witch ranges from barley noticble sometimes to pretty great very ocoasionly there is no difference in the high, your tollerance goes through the roof very quick and there really is no way back once you start you just cannot really get high from smoking again even after a break )

So a friend of mine reckons these pins and needles are when you are about to go over , I'm not sure but I have w theroy I am from the UK btw so I only use no 3 heroin that requires and an acid to break it down, so I notice of the people in the USA that experience this all of them are using black tar, so i reckon these pins are caused by a high morphine content, in the usa because the gear has not been acetalayted ( I know this is probs spelt wrong) properou , and in the UK because people are cooking there gear with way to much citric and many people don't realise when you use to much citric you actually deacetalayte the heroin (dia-morphine) turning it back into morphine esentially weakening the shot, once pouch of citric should easily be split between 5 good sized snotd , any powder you see left. Floating around after you have cooked is most lightly cut and yes adding more citric will disolve it but you don't want to dissolve it as you don't want this crap entering your blood, also adding more citric once you have dissolved all your heroin as I said earlier is just going to deacetalayte your product, not sure if that is even s real word BTW but you know what I'm trying to say.since I have been using way less citric this has not happened to me once, just my 2cents won!d be interested to hear others though on tjos .

15. opiatemuncher

opiatemuncher Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Yes its morphine that you are injecting,either like has been said before its been put in ur heroin as a cutting agent or you are injecting morphine tablets!!!!!

Tags: